Sportsman 800 Help

24storm

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a 2005 sportsman 800 with approx 1500 miles on it. I am having a problem with it when the unit heats up i lose power at high RPM and i begin to hear a clicking noise almost like a plug wire arcing. I change the plugs in it and the wires and also put some injector cleaner in it and still the same thing. I cannot see any signs of arcing and the noise sounds like it is coming from the crankcase. I pulled the valve cover off this weekend and everything looks good. Thought it may have a broken valve spring or a lose rocker arm. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. I am going to try a coil from a friends machine tomorrow just in case that is what it is. If anyone has other ideas let me know. I do not know of a good site dedicated to sportsmans.

Thanks Keith

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am only going to mention this because the miles are about right and the problem is at higher RPM after the engine has ran a bit, but I have not heard any clicking from this.

Many of the efi wires are placed in a loom that is far too large. The loom fills with dirt and wears the wire isolation down causing all sorts of funny stuff the happen, including timing problems (which in theory could cause a click). MAP and TPS are a particular problem. Solution is to clean out dirt, repair wires, and tie wrap loom well or/and replace the loom with smaller sized loom.

Does the click happen under load only or is it continuous regardless of load? Is it sparatic or is it rythmic and follow RPM or speed? Is this hurting performance? Did you actually check valve lash when you checked the rockers?:confused:

Timing chain or tensioner? Spark plug boot?

If the noise follows speed, then suspect CVs or more likely the u-joints on one of the drive shafts.

If noise seems related to torque output then check motor mounts, particularily the front one. Motor mounts have to be checked very carefully as they can look ok but in fact be delaminated.

Thats my random thoughts for the moment....

24storm

Reaction score
Many of the efi wires are placed in a loom that is far too large. The loom fills with dirt and wears the wire isolation down causing all sorts of funny stuff the happen, including timing problems (which in theory could cause a click). MAP and TPS are a particular problem. Solution is to clean out dirt, repair wires, and tie wrap loom well or/and replace the loom with smaller sized loom.

Does the click happen under load only or is it continuous regardless of load? Is it sparatic or is it rythmic and follow RPM or speed? Is this hurting performance? Did you actually check valve lash when you checked the rockers?:confused:

If the noise follows speed, then suspect CVs or more likely the u-joints on one of the drive shafts.

If noise seems related to torque output then check motor mounts, particularily the front one. Motor mounts have to be checked very carefully as they can look ok but in fact be delaminated.

The clicking once warmed up is rpm related it will do it idling so it is not CV or u-joints. It does effect performance when it happens the engine will no longer rev up like it should.

Did not check valve lash as i do not have a service manual and do not know what the spec should be. From what i understand the valves on the sportsmans are not to be adjusted.

As for the spark plug boot i just put on new wires this past weekend.

I will do some checking in the wire harness this week.

I drove it at work today and it worked perfect no problems.

I do have a motor mount that needs to be replaced i noticed this today so i will get that taken care of this week.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am only going to mention this because the miles are about right and the problem is at higher RPM after the engine has ran a bit, but I have not heard any clicking from this.

sorry to hi jack here but when a u joint is going doesnt it usaly make a loud squeeking sound not clicking, (could be wrong) cause thats how we knew the u joint was going on our sportsman 700

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The clicking once warmed up is rpm related it will do it idling so it is not CV or u-joints. It does effect performance when it happens the engine will no longer rev up like it should.

Did not check valve lash as i do not have a service manual and do not know what the spec should be. From what i understand the valves on the sportsmans are not to be adjusted.

As for the spark plug boot i just put on new wires this past weekend.

I will do some checking in the wire harness this week.

I drove it at work today and it worked perfect no problems.

I do have a motor mount that needs to be replaced i noticed this today so i will get that taken care of this week.

Try the coil first then start checking the wiring harnesses. Clicking usually is going to be on the high tension side of the ignition if it's electrical.

Reason I asked about valve lash is if one valve had alot of lash I would suspect a sticky valve. Even if lash is correct on all valves, cannot rule out a sticky valve.

Affects performance but not all the time; it's not a timing chain, cracked exhaust pipe or motor mount causing the clicking. Motor mount will cause belt wear issues without much loss of performance.

Do you have the means to do a compression or/and a leak down (prefered) test? Ie: Islolate problem to electrical or mechanical.

Last edited:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hi jack here but when a u joint is going doesnt it usaly make a loud squeeking sound not clicking, (could be wrong) cause thats how we knew the u joint was going on our sportsman 700

U-joints may squeak (no grease), click, pop, bang, make no noise what so ever if you have your helmet on, or they may set up a harmonic vibration at higher speeds. If you land off a jump under full power u-joints will even make a flushing sound.... like the sound of money going down the toilet.:eek:

I have a '98 sportsman with 8 u-joints on it.... believe me, I know that flushing sound all too well.:rolleyes::eek:

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ours scared the chit out of me when it blew LOL 300$ later it was ridable again, we bought our drive shaft in edson. do you work at the polaris dealer ship or some thing? I see you know your stuff . Lol

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ours scared the chit out of me when it blew LOL 300$ later it was ridable again, we bought our drive shaft in edson. do you work at the polaris dealer ship or some thing? I see you know your stuff . Lol

Worked at Mountainside (Yamaha, AC, Suzuki) for awhile and ran a small engine shop for awhile where I worked on mostly Hondas and Polaris. I know Polaris mostly because I own 3 of them:doh:.

Moose

Reaction score
I Dont know if this will help but my 800 would miss off and on. t thought a plug or wire was getting wet so i put di-electric grease in any spot possible, didnt help at all. Turns out it was the air filter but not from being dirty. If the factory paper filter gets damp and dries again, it will not run worth a poo.

Might not help at all, but for the $22 its worth a try.

Good luck

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...If the factory paper filter gets damp and dries again, it will not run worth a poo.

If the paer filter gets wet and the engine is ran, more times than not the paper will tear, leaving you with only the outer sock to keep the dirt out. For this reason alone, I recommend a K&N or Uni-filter.

Top Bottom