Electrical help......

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the generator transfer switch not limit each circuit to 15 amps ?
Is each line from the transfer switch hooked up to each plug individually ?
Six circuits, six plugs ?

If he had your setup it would. All Doug has is 6 - 15amp plugs on the end of an extension cord powered by his 30 amp generator plug.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My transfer switch has a 15 amp breaker on each branch circuit. One set of switches is line or generator, second set are my breakers. It is CSA and UL certified. Electrical inspector passed it . He had to ask what it was lol.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201208/af65656e214a6084790a585fe8fdaee3.jpg
I had one of those in my previous house for a 5800w generator. I had 8 separate circuits on 15 amp breakers. Worked great for the times I needed it.

The present set up probably doesn't have a breaker nor a fuse in behind the 6 plugs. So I'm thinking one could over load it if not careful.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one of those in my previous house for a 5800w generator. I had 8 separate circuits on 15 amp breakers. Worked great for the times I needed it.

The present set up probably doesn't have a breaker nor a fuse in behind the 6 plugs. So I'm thinking one could over load it if not careful.

You could definitely overload it, but its only for emergencies, and won't be left unattended. Technically illegal, but I'd use it. Way safer than what a lot of people are getting away with. At least you won't kill a lineman. :D

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You could definitely overload it, but its only for emergencies, and won't be left unattended. Technically illegal, but I'd use it. Way safer than what a lot of people are getting away with. At least you won't kill a lineman. :D
I'm going to open up that 6 plug box and see what is in there. I will post a picture later.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will be fine, just be careful on what appliances are plugged into it at the sametime
It would also depend on how long, and how heavy the actual extension cord is to get the desired appliance to start.
Startup amps are higher than running amps.
Id use it if I had one.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It will be fine, just be careful on what appliances are plugged into it at the sametime
It would also depend on how long, and how heavy the actual extension cord is to get the desired appliance to start.
Startup amps are higher than running amps.
Id use it if I had one.
All extension cords will be heavy duty construction type. Two gotta go from the basement to the upstairs coffee pot and the fridge. Another one will go to the freezer in the basement. After that we'll see.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I took this off track. For some reason I thought you had a transfer switch like mine. I guess I need to read a little more carefully Sorry !!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry I took this off track. For some reason I thought you had a transfer switch like mine. I guess I need to read a little more carefully Sorry !!!
No problem. It makes for interesting reading and reading about this stuff is a lot better than reading about the scamdemic and things.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Doug I haven't been on the site for awhile and have not read all the posts on your thread so you may already have this information. All wiring in housing in North America is Three Wire Edison It consistes of two 115 volt wires one neutral and a ground. the ground is green the neutral is white and the two 115 volt wires are normally black and red when they enter the breaker panel. The two 115 volt wires will combine to make 230 volts. Wiring colour becomes a little tricky when it leaves the breaker panel because your typical black and white wire can be 115v or 230v. There is very rarely red wire after the breaker in residential wiring.

The fact is that the plug on the cord on the devise you bought on amazon is rigged for a proper 3 wire Edison circuit described above, hence the four prongs including the ground. From the picture you supplied the generator is not capable of suppling the power that your devise was designed for. It is possible to jumper the one 115 volt circuit and power all plugs, however the combined circuit capacity will be precisely half of what it would be if the circuit was wired as it was intended. As far as safety is concerned you do not want anything that is not clearly labeled CSA or ULC in your house it simply is not worth the risk.

It is interesting to note that Thomas Edison is responsible for the Three Wire Edison design which is far superior to the Westinghouse 220v circuit for a number of reasons. It's safe to say Mr Westinghouse was just a better salesmen.

Top Bottom