Electrical help......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I fell into the category of one of those Internet shoppers buying something that wasn't really what I wanted. Like a typical 'man', I installed it and went to the next step of seeing if it would work. Well, it needs a little tweaking but I don't have the smarts nor the electrical experience to do it myself. So, S&M to the rescue!! Something other than COVID to talk about today!!

The pictures should be self-explanatory:
1. The gadget I bought
2. The 250 volt female plug that the generator plugs into on the above gadget
3. The 120 volt outlet on the generator

There are 6 110v outlets inside the house wired into the 4 wire female plug outside the house. Apparently, I can connect two of the 4 wires together and switch out the 250v plug for a 120v plug. Which two wires do I connect together or is this just a dumb project??

I will add, I don't know which of the 4 wires is the load, or anything and I am assuming the green wire is the ground.

IMG_5416.jpeg

IMG_5441.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Green is ground
White is neutral
Red and black are the hot wires

On the new plug the green wire goes to the "G" pin, the white wire goes to the "W" pin, the twisted together red and black wires go to the "Y" pin.

When looking for a plug all you should need is a male NEMA L5-30 to plug into your generator.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need a plug that will match generator

or make a short extension cord from 3 to 4 wire

me thinks best way around this, is up grade new generator to a 4 wire plug (no messing around) and you will have a few extra amps to play with

Last edited:

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
How are the house plugs wired? With that 4 prong plug you should have 2 hots a neutral and a ground. The 2 hots might be wired in to each side of the plug with the tabs cut so it’s a split receptacle. You should pull one of the plugs out and just see how there wired. Also when you pull the plug apart you have there should be 2 brass screws a silver screw and a green screw terminal. The 2 brass are the hots. The silver is neutral and green is ground. You could probably just join the 2 hots together when you wire up the new plug to go into the generator.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your generator needs the 4 prong plug outlet. The idea is 2 110 plugs run off 1 wire. The other 2 off another wire

You can wire that but all plugs will power off 1 wire.

I run these on my generator. My cords are 25 feet long.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are the house plugs wired? With that 4 prong plug you should have 2 hots a neutral and a ground. The 2 hots might be wired in to each side of the plug with the tabs cut so it’s a split receptacle. You should pull one of the plugs out and just see how there wired. Also when you pull the plug apart you have there should be 2 brass screws a silver screw and a green screw terminal. The 2 brass are the hots. The silver is neutral and green is ground. You could probably just join the 2 hots together when you wire up the new plug to go into the generator.

Exactly...

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your generator needs the 4 prong plug outlet. The idea is 2 110 plugs run off 1 wire. The other 2 off another wire

You can wire that but all plugs will power off 1 wire.

I run these on my generator. My cords are 25 feet long.

That's a similar champion inverter as I have, there is no use putting a 4 pin plug on the generator. These generators don't have enough power to overload that 30 amp plug as is. They are also 120volt only, there is no option to get 240volt.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change the outside plug at the house to a 3pin male matching the generator cord, and tie the black and red both to the brass screw. Or you could cut the female end off the cord and just tie it into the box permanently, but that requires a knockout punch and weatherproof connector.

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to just connect to the house junction box with the shutoff and bypass the 100amp supply,.. he could still use the 30amp generator plug

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I mean, why separate? Why limit yourself to only a couple plugs, connect to the main power and you could use any outlet in the house

Illegal without an approved transfer switch and inspection, would only supply half the house off his particular generator, and in any case doesn't answer his question.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That's what I mean, why separate? Why limit yourself to only a couple plugs, connect to the main power and you could use any outlet in the house
Jason, I had that in my last house and that is an "electrician hookup" for sure. This is only a 30 amp generator (on a good day) and I am only looking to hook up a coffee pot, freezer, fridge, charge a phone, minimal things (and maybe not all at once) to have some conveniences if the power is out for an extended period of time.

Using this gadget, I won't need a door or window open to bring the cord into the house while the generator is running outside.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you connect to the main power, you are then supplying the electrical grid as well, Hydro needs to work near your home, the wires are now hot. Get yourself in big trouble. Thats why you use a transfer switch, auto shut off from main grid when powered from generator.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change the outside plug at the house to a 3pin male matching the generator cord, and tie the black and red both to the brass screw. Or you could cut the female end off the cord and just tie it into the box permanently, but that requires a knockout punch and weatherproof connector.
This ^^^ He's the only guy on the thread that answered your question in language an electrician would use.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Green is ground
White is neutral
Red and black are the hot wires

On the new plug the green wire goes to the "G" pin, the white wire goes to the "W" pin, the twisted together red and black wires go to the "Y" pin.

When looking for a plug all you should need is a male NEMA L5-30 to plug into your generator.

This is what I will do tomorrow. ^^^^^^^^^

I went down to CT and Home Hardware today, and nothing is available. CT has RV outlets and short extension cords but nothing that I could really use and feel safe about. I will go to an electrical supply shop and see if I can get what I need. Next chapter will be tomorrow.
Even with the COVID BS, this is still a great place for information on many topics!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I will do tomorrow. ^^^^^^^^^

I went down to CT and Home Hardware today, and nothing is available. CT has RV outlets and short extension cords but nothing that I could really use and feel safe about. I will go to an electrical supply shop and see if I can get what I need. Next chapter will be tomorrow.
Even with the COVID BS, this is still a great place for information on many topics!!
Across from the mall with crappy tire is a electronic supply place, starts with a t ( forget the name now)

Top Bottom