Spending the night

Driftingbig

Reaction score
Great thread! Updating my supply list as we speak. Luckily i haven't had to spend the night but have come close twice, funny enough both times in Revy. I would have to agree that staying calm in any situation is key and cooler heads prevail. I have also had luck with hand sanitizer as a fire starter as well as its mostly alcohol.

bclinehand

Reaction score
My list of items.

In my Avy Pack:
- shovel
- spare gloves
- mid layer
- flint
- dryer lint
- torch
- wetfire
- lighter
- first aid kit
- beef jerkey
- trail mix
- leatherman
- head light
- saw
- flash light
- inReach
- Garmin 650
- water
- probe
- bivy sack
- cell phone turned off in pelican case
- odds and sods of parts, zap straps, hose clamps etc.
- SOL small survival kit (see pic)

On my sled:
- Jet Boil
- dehydrated food
- orange hand smoke signal
- bear bangers
- flares
- pencil flare
- variety of tools
- tea lights
- small lantern
- bivy sack
- tow ropes
- canned food
- spare gloves
- zip loc bags
- wetfire
- saw
- tea
- Sam splint
- glow stick
- collapsible bowl
- barrier device

View attachment 163781

I would look for another stove for emergency winter use.....spent the night in Kakwa last year......got to -22 in the tent none of the compressed gas stoves would light.....used a MSR multifuel with gasoline and had no problems. I spend 15-20 nights out every winter with the Canadian Rangers, both teaching and practicing winter survival courses.........trust me not having a warm bevvy when you need it can ruin your stay......lol

Last edited:

mick

Reaction score
Hobo stove, candles and a tarp..... primitive but effective in a snow cave

SummitX509

Reaction score
Awesome thread and very informative.
I'm ready for a planned or unplanned overnight stay in the mountains. I'm not saying I want an unplanned but feel I would be alright.
I have dry cloths, fuel, starters, wind blockers, light, flares, whistle, shovel, saw, axe, nuts, powerbar, Garmin, metal H2O bottle and most important knowledge.
I also let friends and family know where I'm going.
If anyone is up for a planned stay to test survival skills I'm in.

I live for winter. Snow, snow, snow!!!!
2014 Summit X154
2007 Phazer MTX 154
Braaap!!!!!!

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay I will be the next to ask. What is the Bivvy ? Sure I saw picture of the bundle in the palm of someones hand but open it up and reveal the secret. Is it a small tent,sleeping bag,orrrrrr? Just want to know what I am going to ask for. Thanks

matm8snopro

Reaction score
Anyone ever try the solo stove? small and light, burns twigs/branches. It has an alcohol burning insert and a pot everything fits in. Think I may buy one to try and add to my pack. Any thoughts???

mick

Reaction score
Anyone ever try the solo stove? small and light, burns twigs/branches. It has an alcohol burning insert and a pot everything fits in. Think I may buy one to try and add to my pack. Any thoughts???

They actually work really well if you are out of the wind, I don't like using alcohol personally but the wood option works

bclinehand

Reaction score
Alcohol stoves are good up to a certain point.........they do not work at extreme cold temperatures unless the fuel is warmed up first..........good for general use, definately not what I would choose for an emergency stove.

Dulley

Reaction score
I ordered 2 of the solo stove/pot combo from amazon, very well built and compact, will be a good addition to the pack. 1 is for me and 1 is for my 12 yr old who is just starting to the sledding world.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay I will be the next to ask. What is the Bivvy ? Sure I saw picture of the bundle in the palm of someones hand but open it up and reveal the secret. Is it a small tent,sleeping bag,orrrrrr? Just want to know what I am going to ask for. Thanks
See pic below. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 393

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See pic below. :)

Well thankyou very much Rowdy. Going to see if I can stuff one of those in my backpack.Took a coarse from Lori at Zactracks and lifted her pack , holy smokes mine is just about as heavy as hers Lol !!!

Last edited:

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry 2 cans of cooking oil, just pop the lid off and light it, one can lasts 4 to 6 hrs, would keep a snow cave very comfy, great post got some good idea's, the foil blankets work but are limited, bevvy bags look good

416magnum

Reaction score
In March it will be 3 years since I spent the night at Blue Lake. The temperature went down to -17. The most important thing in my pack was my skill folding saw, I cut 4" to 6" trees and bucked them up into 3' lengths to keep my fire going. It was a busy night sawing wood to keep the fire going ( that was a good thing for me). The wood dos not burn well and my fire went out twice so I made sure I had enough wood after that. branches worked ok for fire but became hard to get after a while, the tree wells make it difficult to get to. At 5:30 am my buddy and 2 from search and rescue came down and cooked me hot chocolate on my fire.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In March it will be 3 years since I spent the night at Blue Lake. The temperature went down to -17. The most important thing in my pack was my skill folding saw, I cut 4" to 6" trees and bucked them up into 3' lengths to keep my fire going. It was a busy night sawing wood to keep the fire going ( that was a good thing for me). The wood dos not burn well and my fire went out twice so I made sure I had enough wood after that. branches worked ok for fire but became hard to get after a while, the tree wells make it difficult to get to. At 5:30 am my buddy and 2 from search and rescue came down and cooked me hot chocolate on my fire.
I was just about in for an all nighter last year and it definately makes a person a little nervous.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is good in theory but after riding for 12 to 15 hrs, your dam tired and in our case we had close to 100cm of new snow, everyone was dead tired, and wind was howling like you never have seen, thus pitch dark conditions... And snowing very heavy...It's just not that practical to be able to do some of the technics mentioned here, and this is why a fire would be questinal if I did again

Also feel that a unexpected sleep over and a expected sleep over or two different animas and not much learning will be gained when a unexpected happens... No one ever wants to spen a night at minus twenty... After a long day in the bush and in a big storm... And for caring pots and pans, heaters that just does not happen

best preparness is watching suvior man, two of us had watched just prior a episode of his making the caves in snow and it helped a ton, we took a few pictures of them if I could find them.... They were the answer

If you cross long logs over the fire it wont sink those. Or put long logs in a circle with the ends all pointing to a center point and light the middle and keep pushing them inward to keep the fire going.

Last edited:

Rust

Reaction score
I've slept in those bivys once while hunting. It wasn't freezing at night but close. We came off the Mtn well after dark, and the creek we came up was to rough to take the horses back out in the dark. I had two of those tin foil bivys in my pack so we figured we'd try em out since it was only 4-5 hrs tell daylight. Well it really sucked lol! My hunter asked me what that noise was......it was my teeth chattering! My advise would be to your best to keep your head out of that bivy. All your breath builds in there and it's more less raining inside the bivy after a few hrs. It was still warmer inside the bivy then out, but the moister thing sucked! Just my observation.
Interesting thread though!

Sent from my iPhone using

416magnum

Reaction score
That is good in theory but after riding for 12 to 15 hrs, your dam tired and in our case we had close to 100cm of new snow, everyone was dead tired, and wind was howling like you never have seen, thus pitch dark conditions... And snowing very heavy...It's just not that practical to be able to do some of the technics mentioned here, and this is why a fire would be questinal if I did again

Also feel that a unexpected sleep over and a expected sleep over or two different animas and not much learning will be gained when a unexpected happens... No one ever wants to spen a night at minus twenty... After a long day in the bush and in a big storm... And for caring pots and pans, heaters that just does not happen

best preparness is watching suvior man, two of us had watched just prior a episode of his making the caves in snow and it helped a ton, we took a few pictures of them if I could find them.... They were the answer

I think digging a cave to get out of the wind is a good idea but sitting or laying on the snow with even 6" of fir branches I found it cold. I needed fire. I started it with a rag I put down my gas tank. I then took everything out o my pack to see what I had (3 beer and 2 chocolate bars as far as food goes) i even turned my gopro on just to see how I would handle my situation. I have some footage but it is all to dark to make much out. my fire did sink into the snow but also created a shelf for me to sit on. Sleeping wasn't much of a option since I needed to keep the fire going. Oh ya I didn't drink the beer but I did eat one bar.

Top Bottom