Spending the night

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see who all has had to spend the night? If you have, what was the #1 essential to getting you through it safely? After spending the night, did you find you needed more items to be prepared? If so what?

Also, has anyone done a controlled over night stay near a cabin?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Just curious to see who all has had to spend the night? If you have, what was the #1 essential to getting you through it safely? After spending the night, did you find you needed more items to be prepared? If so what?

Also, has anyone done a controlled over night stay near a cabin?
^^^^^^ will be this season^^^^^^

I would think that Beer & pepperoni would be the most important supply

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread.

I always ride with what I would consider the "bare essential" survival items. Spare wool socks, spare gloves, spare sweater. Emergency blanket (one of those tinfoil space jobbies) and fire starting items (lighter, matches and fire-starter pucks). Some nylon rope. Don't trust the saw in my HMK shovel so I'll be picking up a better folding saw before I head out west again. Also pack around my old maglight I've had since I was a kid, but there's better options out there. Many hiking/backpacking places sell lightweight BRIGHT headlamps that wouldn't take up a lot of room.

Edit: maybe chem lights would be a good idea too?

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread.

I always ride with what I would consider the "bare essential" survival items. Spare wool socks, spare gloves, spare sweater. Emergency blanket (one of those tinfoil space jobbies) and fire starting items (lighter, matches and fire-starter pucks). Some nylon rope. Don't trust the saw in my HMK shovel so I'll be picking up a better folding saw before I head out west again. Also pack around my old maglight I've had since I was a kid, but there's better options out there. Many hiking/backpacking places sell lightweight BRIGHT headlamps that wouldn't take up a lot of room.

Edit: maybe chem lights would be a good idea too?

I've been told by a couple people who have spend the night that the tinfoil blankets are garbage. I carry two bivy sacks for that reason. I picked up a great folding saw at Wholesale sports. I think it's a Gerber saw? I can't remember at the moment, but it works great as I've had to use it to start a fire before.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't see how the tinfoil blanket would work. I think they work on the premise of not allowing your body's heat to escape. The outer layer of your snowmobile suit is air temp. No heat to keep in.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They key to the space blankets is to buy a decent one and not a cheapy from Canadian Tire (don't get me wrong I love me some CT but not for survival gear haha). I got mine online but can't remember what the brand was. While they aren't as warm as sleeping in your own bed, they'll keep you alive (fire is still #1 priority).

There's another thread going on here regarding saws and lots of guys are saying the STIHL brand saws are really nice too. A buddy has one of those "chainsaw in a can" units and it's pretty trick. Barely takes up any room.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't see how the tinfoil blanket would work. I think they work on the premise of not allowing your body's heat to escape. The outer layer of your snowmobile suit is air temp. No heat to keep in.

Yeah I can't see it working that great either. I do have one in my pack but I have bivy sacks to keep warm.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They key to the space blankets is to buy a decent one and not a cheapy from Canadian Tire (don't get me wrong I love me some CT but not for survival gear haha). I got mine online but can't remember what the brand was. While they aren't as warm as sleeping in your own bed, they'll keep you alive (fire is still #1 priority).

There's another thread going on here regarding saws and lots of guys are saying the STIHL brand saws are really nice too. A buddy has one of those "chainsaw in a can" units and it's pretty trick. Barely takes up any room.

If you can later, maybe post the brand you have? I was looking at some STIHL brand saws as well, but the one I have works great. The one I keep on my sled is ok, and the one in my shovel sucks...but works in a pinch

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a small one burner camping stove. Can double as a fire starting aid and stove to warm water (using my hotdogger as a pot) which then could be placed into water bottles and placed under clothes to keep you warm. Depending on the situation starting and maintaining a fire may require more energy than its worth and this is a good back up.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Key is to get out of the wind, snow cave or tunnel. 3 of us spent the night about 12 years ago. Dig a snow cave to get out of the wind, used branches to get up off the ground and had a space blanket, they actually do work. We never had a fire but it sure would have been nice. Someone posted that homemade alcohol stove with the cans, that would be awesome both for heating water to keep core temp up but boiling water would also help to keep the cave warm. Don't forget to build wind guard. Of course if your planning on staying supplies are endless

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
I have spent the night in the snow/cold hunting but never on a sledding trip yet.... I do plan on having a "controlled" survival night this winter would like to plan it with a couple riding buddies to see who is prepared and who is not.

The tin foil blankets will not last!!!! Don't waste your 5bucks on them, buy a real bivy sack you will be very happy you did if you ever need it..

Please remember if you are having a planned stay over night to please inform local authority/S&R/Club and leave them with your approximant area of camp. This could and will save a lot of time if someone notices your vehicle left in the parking or if for some reason you run into problems, and also to stay in a forestry cabin (not club cabins like @ boulder etc.) you must call forestry authority for permission and register.

I purchased bivy sacks from Zacs Tracks store and another from an outfitting store in the states can't remember the brand I'll have to look. The foil ones and cheap one will not work when you try to get in with boots on and heavy gear the sides will rip!

Last edited:

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the tinfoil blanket does work .However you would never replace your blankets on your bed with one!!LOL …I would imagine they would give you more time to be found by SR before freezing :rant:The safest thing is using common sense.If your breaking trail into a difficult new area its best to do it with four or more capable people.Some days it might not be a good idea to bring the guy on a 8yr old 4th hand sled (polaris).Is it snowing in revy?

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please remember if you are having a planned stay over night to please inform local authority/S&R/Club and leave them with your approximant area of camp. This could and will save a lot of time if someone notices your vehicle left in the parking or if for some reason you run into problems, and also to stay in a forestry cabin (not club cabins like @ boulder etc.) you must call forestry authority for permission and register.

Great point!!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
whats a bivy sack?like a thin sleeping bag?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bivouac_sack
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386693947.235886.jpg

Sent from my phone ---- is anyone listening ?

Brentk

Reaction score
I stayed the night 2 years ago with 2 other friends, we tried connecting 2 riding areas together and when we dropped elevation then we ran out of snow coverage so we worked really hard lifting sleds over creeks/logs. We eventually had to call it quits (200 meters from the logging road out, but didn't know) and get a fire going as we were soaked. Not enough snow for a snow cave so we parked ourselves under a giant tree with huge bows and built a fire next to that, to help hold the heat and keep wind away. A fire is a lot of work and takes a long time to get going. Thankfully we had fire sticks from crappy tire that we could light first and then get frozen sticks lit after that. The tin foil type space blankets helped, but we all wished we had the thick heavy duty reusable ones. Flash lights and saws were very necessary. The fire was very important as we dried out all of our gear and warmed up. I have also slept in a snow cave before and that is not bad too, just make sure you dig your entrance hole at the bottom and P trap it so that your warm air does not escape. Also, do not poke a hole in the roof for fresh air as all heat will be lost.
In hind sight, I would have a bigger/better space blanket and one of those small stoves...and a flask, relaxed and just got some sleep. It's actually not that bad, I highly recommend everyone to spend the night properly prepared. I don't worry so much anymore when I am out sledding about having to make it back that night.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rowdy, I'll see if I can find out what brand it is. Came from some high-faluten hiking shop my sister uses.

But Throttle-Junky is right, if I ever had to use it that'd probably be it for my tinfoil blanket cause they don't really last.

rgashkei

Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned any food. I always carry a small army stove that will run on gas, some cup of soup and hot chocolate. Every once in a while I will stop and heat me up some hot chocolate just to make sure the stove works.
Need to get one of those Bevvy Blankets, never heard of them before.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never overnight sledding, but snowboarding. I now bring my muff pot everywhere I go back country. Its light and makes a good snow melter for drinking water. Dug a pit and slept in the snow. Wasnt too bad actually.

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally I think those mini stoves seem like over kil? i dont know about you guys but I dont feel like hauling 80lbs on my back everyday.. Ive stayed on the mountain one night (planned). It was planned so brought actual sleeping bags so we werent toughing it to bad. Juust thought it was a cool experience to stay in the backcountry for a night. Not to mention it was a full moon so it was bright out there. I also carry a hard hat cap lamp there small so dont take up lots of room in your pack and there bright! I also cary a stihl saw which i personally think is the best. Either way I wouldnt want to stay the night because of a wreck but its always nice to be prepared

Top Bottom