South Purcell mountain caribou transplant

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to me the mountain Caribou are the Quebecois of thier species..... they choose to live in an area non conducive to decent lifestyle, yet in an effort to maintain thier "individuality" as an "ecotype subspecies" rely on support from others to survive when all they have to do is integrate with the successful herds to ensure survival.....
Great analogy Mike!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still 4 out of the 21 captured Caribou left alive as of this week. Yes, I said 21, not 20 as previously reported. I just found out that in addition to the one they killed during transport, one animal died during the capture process in Dease lake. And that number goes up if you concider the calves the pregnant cows were carrying when they were eaten. Also, no transplant this spring is the latest word. They can't find a donor herd in an area where the natives will let them kidnap and murder any more animals.

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still 4 out of the 21 captured Caribou left alive as of this week. Yes, I said 21, not 20 as previously reported. I just found out that in addition to the one they killed during transport, one animal died during the capture process in Dease lake. No transplant this spring is also the latest word. They can't find a donor herd in an area where the natives will let them kidnap and murder any more animals.

Yes...4 left. They will make it through the winter and die next summer. As per the 5 year study...no winter predation kills.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess they have to try something to see if it sticks.
Well.....they're still planning another 20 into the Purcells next spring. They say they've "learned a lot" from the first transplant. Pretty costly lesson for the 12 dead caribou (so far).

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amazing how a wild animal instinct is stronger than human understanding.

Wish it was as easy to "move on and join another herd"...2000 KM away, crossing mountain range after another. LOL There is a reason they are unique. It's the reason they are trying everything they can to keep the populations up.

Seems to me the mountain Caribou are the Quebecois of thier species..... they choose to live in an area non conducive to decent lifestyle, yet in an effort to maintain thier "individuality" as an "ecotype subspecies" rely on support from others to survive when all they have to do is integrate with the successful herds to ensure survival.....

and...for all the Fawks that don't give a chit, the negative attitude towards the Mountain Caribou is the biggest risk to closing all the riding areas.. Just watch.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the mid 1990's...not sure if there is an updated study.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/mc07kinley.pdf

Nope. That was the last one done in the Purcells, and one of the most comprehensive studies on Caribou ever. Trevor Kinley is a very good biologist.

They do a yearly census only now, and in preparation for last years failed transplant they GPS collared some of the local population.

kgb117

Reaction score
im not surprised these caribou didnt do well. what if you were taken from your comfy grassy home and dumped off in the middle of the mountains. you'd be like wtf?! lets get out of here! I read a comment suggesting breeding programs as a better solution. Im inclined to agree

matm8snopro

Reaction score
QUOTE=FernieHawk;1821785]Any update on survivors?

Are they all dead now?[/QUOTE]

Was at a caribou closure meeting Monday night. Only 2 left... sounds like they are going to try it again too with some changes...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol got the info fom the governments biologist that lives in nelson... either way, its a total failure, we lost more area... again, hoping to gain some back with the new data in one of our areas... negoiations...

Ya, I know Leo well. Good luck with him! He means well but he's about as anti-motorized as they come.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like the caribou lovers are back at it. I got some info from a inside source, sound like there are maybe plans for more closures in the area. Bayonne lakes and Arkansas lake area. Just great.

Top Bottom