South Purcell mountain caribou transplant

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well here's a couple of them......in the Cranbrook spray irrigation fields. Guess they didn't like the mountains! Should be safe from snowmobiles here. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC00404s.jpg
    DSC00404s.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 546

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well here's a couple of them......in the Cranbrook spray irrigation fields. Guess they didn't like the mountains! Should be safe from snowmobiles here. :rolleyes:

Haha...these Caribou appear to have poor taste in habitat. Heard they are hanging out by the pulp mill and now in the sh!t fields:D

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here they are April 15 at Horseshoe Lake. Guess that's means a restriction on ice fishermen next! :realmad:

Attachments

• IMG_0449r.jpg
    IMG_0449r.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 446

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
"this valuable animal was found alive and returned to wildlife managers in Canada, FWP said."
No kidding..."valuable"

prairiepulling

Reaction score
Hey Moyie Sled Head,
Is all the snow gone out in Moyie ? Going to come down and get my trailer and was wondering if the snow is gone around it.
Thanks

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Moyie Sled Head,
Is all the snow gone out in Moyie ? Going to come down and get my trailer and was wondering if the snow is gone around it.
Thanks
Snow has been gone for a couple weeks now. Bring beer ( we're holding your trailer hostage ) lol

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the species at risk legislation apply to a subspecies? I mean, since the woodland caribou are not at risk and the mountain caribou are genetically the same as the woodland caribou then wouldn't the species be not at risk? It seems to me that if they are using the woodland caribou for augmentation, the problem is not a species problem but a heard problem. Is this not so?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the species at risk legislation apply to a subspecies? I mean, since the woodland caribou are not at risk and the mountain caribou are genetically the same as the woodland caribou then wouldn't the species be not at risk? It seems to me that if they are using the woodland caribou for augmentation, the problem is not a species problem but a heard problem. Is this not so?

That very lawsuit is going on in the U.S. right now Kelly. A legal challenge over the "at risk" designation has been launched by snowmobile groups in Idaho with support from State politicians based on the well known scientific fact that "Mountain" caribou and "Woodland" caribou are genetically the same frickin' animal! Be interesting to see how that plays out. Problem with that up here is.....neither of the Provincial snowmobile organizations have any money to launch any kind of legal action 'cuz they're too busy splitting snowmobilers apart in B.C. with their stupid little pissing match!

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/senators+condemn+caribou+herd+protection/6846812/story.html

:realmad:

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20K an animal? Fence those buggers in and hand feed them.

Actually, that number is substantially higher when you factor in the cost of collaring and monitoring some Wolves and Cougars, autopsies on dead Caribou, and a whole list of other hidden costs not directly associated with the translocation project itself. I've heard numbers in the 30 - $40,000.00 per animal range thrown around.

Edit: All the cougars that were collared have been lost, and all but 2 of the Wolves as well. Those 2 are 400 Km's south in Montana now.

• Thanks
Reactions: kjb
Top Bottom