Sounds like the new viper is having some serious issues.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion would only be a guess, but I think it is because the Viper uses a closed loop system and Cat was already familiar with this tech on a sled.
The sled is also built in a Cat plant and Cat has their own version of the Viper, so they had to use either Cat or Yamaha controls.
Either way it is a part that is supplied from a third party manufacturer so it wouldn't really matter what name was on it as long as it worked as advertised, and it does.
People shouldn't be afraid of these sleds...they are awesome. I love mine!

I honnestly cannot complain on the Cat electronic so far, for some reason i feel more at ease with Yamaha electronic's.
I have owned nothing but Cats and Yamaha's, just a few Doo's and the electronics have been flawless on all of them.
Yes Cat uses a third party electronic's, either Mitsubishi or Kokua Denki, both Japanesse and very reliable. I don't know what the Viper would use if any of the makes mentioned. I'm sure it is real good, still puzzled that the Viper isn't equipt with Yami electronic's ....ohwell

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I heard this information first hand with my own ears as I was very perplexed and bothered by this.!!! So I did my due diligence last night and this morning in regards to these mentioned rumors. I spoke with a VERY reputable Yamaha Representative & Turbo Manufacturer to let them know what, where, when etc... So let me start.... 1) Engine Failures 0 (ZERO) BS 2) Vipers cant climb steep & deep due to oil tank position .. BS 3) Vipers roll on right side no prime back from oil tank .. a few clicks of the key u are good to go ... so NO engine failures due to this 4) Idling/running issues.. Yes they run AC ECM/ECU so there was some early stages of rectifying Open/Closed Loop System (Part of the mod game IMO) all is rectified with further development 5) Reverse - 2014 did have some issues due a some isolated problems for what ever reasons - 2015 all GOOD.. 6) Chains Breaking - 1 (ONE) why ... Boost-it testing & pushing the limits to ensure 2015 kits are flawless as possible for the masses..I was very pissed off when I was told these so called problems & to be honest I still am. Unfortunately this stuff is no good for anyone... I could go into great detail of whom... But that is not going to do any good however after my conversations with Yamaha Representative & Turbo System Manufacture I have a better understanding of the background which was to discredit Yamaha and CDN Turbo System Manufacturer... As for Catman10 really guys he is not a hater... was a messenger IMO.... Now that all this Sh!t is done.... I'm gonna have an awesome 2015 Boosted Viper B!tches...... :cool: Cheers.........

Drifter1

Reaction score
Well I heard this information first hand with my own ears as I was very perplexed and bothered by this.!!! So I did my due diligence last night and this morning in regards to these mentioned rumors. I spoke with a VERY reputable Yamaha Representative & Turbo Manufacturer to let them know what, where, when etc... So let me start.... 1) Engine Failures 0 (ZERO) BS 2) Vipers cant climb steep & deep due to oil tank position .. BS 3) Vipers roll on right side no prime back from oil tank .. a few clicks of the key u are good to go ... so NO engine failures due to this 4) Idling/running issues.. Yes they run AC ECM/ECU so there was some early stages of rectifying Open/Closed Loop System (Part of the mod game IMO) all is rectified with further development 5) Reverse - 2014 did have some issues due a some isolated problems for what ever reasons - 2015 all GOOD.. 6) Chains Breaking - 1 (ONE) why ... Boost-it testing & pushing the limits to ensure 2015 kits are flawless as possible for the masses..I was very pissed off when I was told these so called problems & to be honest I still am. Unfortunately this stuff is no good for anyone... I could go into great detail of whom... But that is not going to do any good however after my conversations with Yamaha Representative & Turbo System Manufacture I have a better understanding of the background which was to discredit Yamaha and CDN Turbo System Manufacturer... As for Catman10 really guys he is not a hater... was a messenger IMO.... Now that all this Sh!t is done.... I'm gonna have an awesome 2015 Boosted Viper B!tches...... :cool: Cheers.........

I tried a Turbo Viper about a month got it stuck on step hill and the oil light came on and the machine shut off. Had to get it turned around and push it to the bottom of the hill ten minutes of leanning it on its side cycling the key finally got the oil light to shut off. Was a pain in the ass. Dealer guy that was out with us said Yamaha was aware of the problem and was working on it.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I have learned a little lesson here and it will change the way I post from now on for sure but here is the facts, there is issues for sure such as: 1 The early vipers had an oiling issue in a steep climb and they had a problem with tipping on the side in which Chris Brown explained quite well and I know things will be rectified on the new machines. 2 The chain case and reverse also had an issue and is also being addressed with recalls and better gears and chains which was clarified by Randy, 3 The electronics did give the aftermarket boys some headaches which are clearly addressed and explained by Neil. Where I am wrong and I apologize is in regards to engine failure I should not have said that, my bad for being ignorant enough to believe everything I hear. What I like about this post is that I think that it will be helpful for people to have even more confidence in this machine because Yamaha does build a quality sled. I rode a boost it viper quite a bit and my biggest complaint was the P.O.S steering post, I hated it so much that I would not buy one like that. Then Yami fixed cats crappy post for 2015 and it will be a game changer for me. I am not married to any machine, I buy what feels good to me and this one is a contender but I will bow out for a year or so cuz my poo is way too much fun right now. Again sorry for the not so true post and please know that I did not intend to bash, just inform and educate and I appreciate the feedback from most of the people on this thread.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is need to apologize IMO. You heard there was an issue and you brought it forward. You wanted to make sure people knew both sides of the story and there is nothing wrong with that. I personally didn't think you were bashing the viper at all. Kudos to you for bringing it up.

Last edited:

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Viper does use Cat ecu, but that has not been an issue. The issue for us was overcoming the closed loop stock system that was built emission friendly and didn't like the fact we needed more fuel for boost. It was a small hiccup that was solved swiftly and easily.
The ecu in the Viper is a good piece.
Now that I know who the semi reliable source of info was for the original post...everyone can relax. Lol

People shouldn't be so quick to pass on unsubstantiated rumors. It really makes no sense to pass on false info

the semi reliable source wasnt long haired freak was it? lmfao

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Reaction score
We have had absolutely zero issues aside from one sled early in season that popped into false neutral which has been rectified and a anti stab kit that came out and stabbed track which was our fault and we rectified as well. Nothing to do with Yamaha. Machines have been shredding since and the rest never had a hiccup. And JBB it wasn't who you think it was. I won't say who... These new 15 Turbo Vipers are gonna shock a lot of the 2 stroke lovers. Lookout boys ;) - Cody

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya.... na sayers... need to show up at mc bride on the 22 of march.... we will have one there... I have ridden one for two days.... I currently ride a 240 1100turbo ... 4 consecutive yr.... I was expecting ok...It is unreal.... I know im a dealer yes...I can ride what I want...yes.... next year I will be the guy riding the blue n orange ltd..viper with 180 ( plus) kit.... it rocks, no lag, easy to ride as an m8000.... torque of a fourstroke with the flickability that people expect..... ride one and see..... I expected it to be good it was f... awesome...period.... l ride one and see...

Terry

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of track speed is the factory turbo option generating with the 162?....kind of curious

ridgie

Reaction score
I have been riding for 40 years. I've seen every make with issues. Many makes long gone. The last 20 have either been DOO or Yammy. I have a turboed nytro now and won't ever have another two smoke piston eating anything. EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom