Sounds like the new viper is having some serious issues.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Thanks Chris that is a great answer to the fact that there is some issues but the fix is there. I actually said to the person that was telling me about all these issues " how can a guy like Chris Brown ride the way he does and not experience these problems, if anyone would test him he would" so thanks for the truth.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys, I heard the mountain Viper is heavy. Is that true?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still like the dip ****s on facebook that think that yamaha copied cat in the looks department. Either they are repeating a dead joke or are really that retarded.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still like the dip ****s on facebook that think that yamaha copied cat in the looks department. Either they are repeating a dead joke or are really that retarded.

Holy crap... I never noticed that before, they do really look the same! :eek:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really cant see them using the chassis for only two years and then dumping it in favour of their own "mountain specific chassis" Yamaha has never really built a nice handling chassis to begin with, what makes you think they all of the sudden have an ace in the hole........ and if they have been developing a new chassis that will work well why has it taken so long....? 8 years to develop a new chassis since they released the nytro....cmon it aint rocket appliances, im guessing they have tried to make a better chassis but just couldnt do it without copying every other brand to much and then risk getting sued on patent infringement. The easy way to get back competing in the mountain segment was to partner up and now that they are back in the game they risk things by bringing out a whole new chassis, just cant see it happening

That is interesting, i wonder where the oil res. is located cause it is a dry sump system and this has never been an issue on the Nytro's.
The other interesting part is why would Yamaha use Cat ECU and not their own Yamaha ECU.....???? that doesnt make anysense.

Overall i to have gotten some info from a very reliable source in high places with Yami, stating that this partnership is temporary and that Yamaha has been working on a mountian specific sled and this temporary merger was an easy out for Yamaha to keep their loyal fans happy till the true Yamaha is out.
In return Cat get 100% the rights to the Nytro motor.

According to the source 2016 is the year for this new mountian slayer. I'm holding my Nytro till then.

BTW this project has been in the works for 3 years now but Yamaha was not ready to release, thus a quick merger was done as a replacement of the aging Nytro.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Paul......I know of Zero engines "blown" or even a hiccup. Reverse bulletin was issued over a month or so ago. There is a fix available for those who have experienced the false neutral. And I know of only one chain ever breaking. Yamaha pays extra to install our own Gear and Chain as well as use our own clutches in this combo.....we believe it is worth it.
Someone is feeding you stories....

Thank for the continued interest in the all new Viper......I've got 2000k on mine with the belt I started the year with.

Cheers
RS

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Paul......I know of Zero engines "blown" or even a hiccup. Reverse bulletin was issued over a month or so ago. There is a fix available for those who have experienced the false neutral. And I know of only one chain ever breaking. Yamaha pays extra to install our own Gear and Chain as well as use our own clutches in this combo.....we believe it is worth it.

Thank for the continued interest in the all new Viper......I've got 2000k on mine with the belt I started the year with.

Cheers
RS

The gears are billet cut correct? Not stamped?

Also, I think its worth noting that Yammy is yet again leading the belt market with the new Vipers. $100 for a belt similar to the 8D? No other manufacturer is touching this price point and similar durability on their belts.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really cant see them using the chassis for only two years and then dumping it in favour of their own "mountain specific chassis" Yamaha has never really built a nice handling chassis to begin with, what makes you think they all of the sudden have an ace in the hole........ and if they have been developing a new chassis that will work well why has it taken so long....? 8 years to develop a new chassis since they released the nytro....cmon it aint rocket appliances, im guessing they have tried to make a better chassis but just couldnt do it without copying every other brand to much and then risk getting sued on patent infringement. The easy way to get back competing in the mountain segment was to partner up and now that they are back in the game they risk things by bringing out a whole new chassis, just cant see it happening

Actually if released as i was told 2016....do the math 5yrs from when they started on the project and not 8. Reread my post, they did not start on this when they released the Nytro in 08 but started in 2011 for a release of 2014, which did not happen. Now the new release according to what i was told is expected to be 2016.
BTW, RS told me this while out riding. It is not unusual for Yamaha to take 4-5yrs to develop a sled, that is pretty much the norm, they do alot of R&D befor they release. One reason their warranty claims are so little compared to the other 3.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cheers
RS

I'm glad to hear that Yamaha does NOT use Cat gears and chain, i was alittle at odds with the thought that they were. As already mentioned Yamaha gears and chains are the best in the industry, gears are billot cut and chains links are of a higher grade then any of the others thus why Yamaha's can handle 300+hp with no gear box issues.
So what about the ECU, is it Yamaha and are the issues mentioned BS?? I cannot see Yamaha using Cat ecu's...ever.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about the massive problems that the new viper is having? Sounds like people are trying to keep things hush hush but there is some serious issues with these machines. Apparently you cannot climb a steep hill because it runs out of oil and it shuts down, if you tip one over on its right side it cavitates the oil and will not start because of the location of the oil tank so it is a tow job or heli,several engines have blown already probably related to these issues, I am not sure. The chains are not standing up to boost and people are taking the reverse out of the sleds because they randomly engage for no reason and again a tow job. Also heard that some of the aftermarket turbos are running poorly because of the cat ecu and they have not got the programming figured out. I am not a basher here but I feel that people should know about these problems and do your research before you buy your machine, I know I wouldn't want to be Yamaha's guinea pig. Please no bashing as that is a waste of time but if anyone has information about this, please verify if this is true and if not plead your case.I got my info from a pretty reliable source.

This is an early one... normally these rumours dont start flying until people actually start spring ordering machines. Yes.. yamaha
is going to releasing a "mountain snowmobile" engine that shuts down while its climbing..........for sure........ reliable source.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

Cheers
RS

nuh uh.... this is the internet. I HEARD IT! If you sit backwards on them the left side headlight doesn't work properly and that right spindle melts off.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is an early one... normally these rumours dont start flying until people actually start spring ordering machines. Yes.. yamaha
is going to releasing a "mountain snowmobile" engine that shuts down while its climbing..........for sure........ reliable source.
He meant the current Vipers that have been extended into long tracks, not the new purpose built mountain sleds for 2015.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of only 1 built viper having issues, and it sounds like they are mostly service department/poor install issues.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a demo long track viper or a while and it didn't seem to have problems at all. Granted I had a problem with a starter tooth breaking but that's minor. I had been climbing stuff where your not moving at the top and it didn't shut down. And definitely had it on its side and it didn't ever have problems. I am a doo loyalist and I have to say the viper is a huge step up for Yamaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that Yamaha does NOT use Cat gears and chain, i was alittle at odds with the thought that they were. As already mentioned Yamaha gears and chains are the best in the industry, gears are billot cut and chains links are of a higher grade then any of the others thus why Yamaha's can handle 300+hp with no gear box issues.
So what about the ECU, is it Yamaha and are the issues mentioned BS?? I cannot see Yamaha using Cat ecu's...ever.
The Viper does use Cat ecu, but that has not been an issue. The issue for us was overcoming the closed loop stock system that was built emission friendly and didn't like the fact we needed more fuel for boost. It was a small hiccup that was solved swiftly and easily.
The ecu in the Viper is a good piece.
Now that I know who the semi reliable source of info was for the original post...everyone can relax. Lol

People shouldn't be so quick to pass on unsubstantiated rumors. It really makes no sense to pass on false info.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Viper does use Cat ecu, but that has not been an issue. The issue for us was overcoming the closed loop stock system that was built emission friendly and didn't like the fact we needed more fuel for boost. It was a small hiccup that was solved swiftly and easily.
The ecu in the Viper is a good piece.
Now that I know who the semi reliable source of info was for the original post...everyone can relax. Lol

People shouldn't be so quick to pass on unsubstantiated rumors. It really makes no sense to pass on false info.

Thanks for the insight, good info. Wonder why they used the Cat ecu and not Yamaha, i have never heard of an issue with the Yamaha ecu's and it would of had the Genesis 1049 program already. Why mess with it on Yamaha's part?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, good info. Wonder why they used the Cat ecu and not Yamaha, i have never heard of an issue with the Yamaha ecu's and it would of had the Genesis 1049 program already. Why mess with it on Yamaha's part?
My opinion would only be a guess, but I think it is because the Viper uses a closed loop system and Cat was already familiar with this tech on a sled.
The sled is also built in a Cat plant and Cat has their own version of the Viper, so they had to use either Cat or Yamaha controls.
Either way it is a part that is supplied from a third party manufacturer so it wouldn't really matter what name was on it as long as it worked as advertised, and it does.
People shouldn't be afraid of these sleds...they are awesome. I love mine!

Top Bottom