Sounds like the new viper is having some serious issues.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about the massive problems that the new viper is having? Sounds like people are trying to keep things hush hush but there is some serious issues with these machines. Apparently you cannot climb a steep hill because it runs out of oil and it shuts down, if you tip one over on its right side it cavitates the oil and will not start because of the location of the oil tank so it is a tow job or heli,several engines have blown already probably related to these issues, I am not sure. The chains are not standing up to boost and people are taking the reverse out of the sleds because they randomly engage for no reason and again a tow job. Also heard that some of the aftermarket turbos are running poorly because of the cat ecu and they have not got the programming figured out. I am not a basher here but I feel that people should know about these problems and do your research before you buy your machine, I know I wouldn't want to be Yamaha's guinea pig. Please no bashing as that is a waste of time but if anyone has information about this, please verify if this is true and if not plead your case. I got my info from a pretty reliable source.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I have seen on totally yamaha is a few reverse issues....blown engines none

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is interesting, i wonder where the oil res. is located cause it is a dry sump system and this has never been an issue on the Nytro's.
The other interesting part is why would Yamaha use Cat ECU and not their own Yamaha ECU.....???? that doesnt make anysense.

Overall i to have gotten some info from a very reliable source in high places with Yami, stating that this partnership is temporary and that Yamaha has been working on a mountian specific sled and this temporary merger was an easy out for Yamaha to keep their loyal fans happy till the true Yamaha is out.
In return Cat get 100% the rights to the Nytro motor.

According to the source 2016 is the year for this new mountian slayer. I'm holding my Nytro till then.

BTW this project has been in the works for 3 years now but Yamaha was not ready to release, thus a quick merger was done as a replacement of the aging Nytro.

Last edited:

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Guys are filling the oil tank up trying to fix the problem but it causes oil to puke everywhere, the oil tank is not in a good place but is that cuz it uses the cat oil tank?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about the massive problems that the new viper is having? Sounds like people are trying to keep things hush hush but there is some serious issues with these machines. Apparently you cannot climb a steep hill because it runs out of oil and it shuts down, if you tip one over on its right side it cavitates the oil and will not start because of the location of the oil tank so it is a tow job or heli,several engines have blown already probably related to these issues, I am not sure. The chains are not standing up to boost and people are taking the reverse out of the sleds because they randomly engage for no reason and again a tow job. Also heard that some of the aftermarket turbos are running poorly because of the cat ecu and they have not got the programming figured out. I am not a basher here but I feel that people should know about these problems and do your research before you buy your machine, I know I wouldn't want to be Yamaha's guinea pig. Please no bashing as that is a waste of time but if anyone has information about this, please verify if this is true and if not plead your case. I got my info from a pretty reliable source.
There were a few hiccups at first but ours all run amazing.
Reverse issue fixed. Oil issue fixed. Any sled running big power can blow a chain. How many Polaris QD belts have gone down...lots and they are twice the money of a chain.
Have yet to hear of a blown engine.
Sounds like your fairly reliable source just wants to spread some bad news. Any first year sled can have some teething issues, and most have. I seen 4 Pros get flown out last weekend with broken driveshafts. Nobody whines about them anymore because they think it is normal. Lol
You should come to our Demo day next weekend and ride a couple Vipers. I think you may be shocked.

Our group probably has more mountain miles on Vipers than anyone and they run great.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are using Cat chain's, which i suspect they might be.....that doesn't surprise me that they are breaking.
I've riding and owned more Cats then any other brands on the market and i can tell you Cat drive chains are JUNK. I have had very similiar problems with DOO drive chains but cat is the worst. I have had ZERO issues with Yamaha drive chains and they are the second most sleds i've owned, imo the best chains in the industry.
You don't need boost to blow up a Cat chain, i got a good collection of Cat and Doo chains from over the yrs.

Reactions: NM

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone can make such a claim if they just want to stir the chit.
Where, who, and when? Then make the claim.
That is one of the problems with the internet...

Well said, yamaha R&D is one of the best i think i own a skidoo now but i loved all my yamaha products.
My XM has 3 or 4 warranty claims on it already within a year.... my yamaha had 0 and i owned it for 3 years.

• Thanks
Reactions: NM

Cycle Works Red Deer

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
We sold close to 30 Vipers last year. We have had ZERO issues that the above speaks of. I keep in daily contact with the Yamaha rep, and the head mechanical engineer. I can assure you the claims above are not accurate. Neil from Boost-It has more mountain miles then anyone around, his stuff runs awesome! Again, come join us at the demo days next weekend and find out for yourself how great these sleds run.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chris brown is enjoying the new viper!!!go to whistler and try one for your self.gotta love the Haters

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think all the OEM's have a good year for engines....haven't heard of many failures for anyone

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There were a few bugs to work out at first but let's remember the 2014 Vipers that are in the Mountains are short track sleds that have been extended into Mountain sleds. They were not Mountain specific sleds Yamaha was still developing a Mountain specific Viper.

There was an issue with oil pressure on an extended steep pull at first but was a simple fix. My Vipers don't do it anymore. I have mine on both sides ALL the time. If it is upside down for an extended period you just have to wait a minute or two for the oil to settle in the motor again. There is also a simple way to start your sled and keep it going so it doesn't shut off after it's been upside down for a while.

I'm pretty sure it uses Yamaha gears and chain. I have heard of one chain breaking on a high HP Boost-It turbo. The reverse issue was updated by Yamaha and hasn't been a problem since...I use my reverse all the time. I actually saw a Cat 800 go into reverse on the trail the other day while a guy was riding it....go figure.

My Boost-It turbo'd Vipers run Amazing! They are honestly the best running turbo set up I have ever had in a sled. Quick power and they never hickup....I need them to be flawless for technical riding and drops.

The 2015 Mountain Vipers will not have these issues that came up with long tracking the 2014 short track models. I wouldn't stand behind a product that didn't work. I am confident that everyone who buys a new Viper will love it....I do. The 2015 Mountain Viper with the dealer installed turbo actually works really well...it will kick an 800's butt and has instant throttle response too. I have a Boost-It turbo because I wanted a few more ponies!

I have 3 Vipers on snow everyday if anyone wants to ride one. Two with Boost-It turbos and one with the Yamaha turbo. 9 out of 10 people say they want to buy one after riding it...that should tell you something.

Every sled has it's pro's and cons and it's haters. My Vipers ride and feel like an 800 but have 100 more HP on pump gas :) To each their own but don't overlook this mountain slayer. That's the truth. Hope this answers some of your concerns....

Last edited:

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Like I said everything is being kept hush hush, I figure that someone out there in internet land has blown an engine and might post about the problem if they want to be honest and I would like to hear it. If no one is blowing engines or having oiling problems then I will apologize. I respect honesty in a installer or dealer and it doesn't mean I won't buy their product especially when there is great effort in rectifying the problem. Yamaha builds great engines and fantastic clutches and people have put thousands of trouble free boosted miles on them, it seems like the cross breeding just needs a little tweeking that's all. I believe if Yamaha finds an oiling problem they will deal with it immediately as these engines are not cheap to replace I am sure. This new viper is the best mountain machine for Yamaha in a long time and I wish the best for anyone that owns one but I will be holding off for sure. Every manufacturer has issues, I bought a polaris and spent a lot of time and money to make it reliable because there are many faults right out of the box but it is now one of my favorite machines that I have owned up to date, the thing is I had tons of help from this site as to what to do to make it right so I hope my post helps people learn, not bash the Yamaha because I am pretty impressed with what they have done for 2015.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a reliable source don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

A friend of a friends sisters ex-husbands-dog walker's-lovers-grandpa's apprentice mechanic that works on imports-cousin's-brother's-neighbours-best friend. Don't you know?

BTW, just bugging you Catman10

Top Bottom