sooo farmers....

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have no idea how it works or how it operates...but i do know that water + sun = that process that makes stuff grow.....

is all this rain helping alot? or is it to much to early..it seems alot more than last year already!

i know it must be hard to access the feilds and whatnot as i tried last week down south and failed.

Maxwell, my parents farm east of Lacombe, they have had over 5" of rain in the past month. They soil in our area is rich black soil that hold's moisture very well(4 feet deep black), so when it rains like this, it takes forever to dry out. It started to rain right before spraying season, which you only have a short window of application time due to the stages of weed growth, you miss the "right" stage and you waste thousands of dollars in chemical, and now have a weed infested, low production crop that has to fight for moisture and sunlight with the weeds. In the end, the weeds usually take over, and you have very little to harvest. So to complete spraying, we've had to hire it out to custom applicators so that the ruts they leave in the field are considerably smaller then what we would leave with our tractor and sprayer unit. The rain has also delayed the growth considerably, so harvest will be later in the year, and pushes you into the risk of having your crop frozen, still waiting to mature. Again, reducing crop production.

Thanks for asking tho!!!

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Personally, there is no place I would rather see my tax dollars go than to make sure that food is available for my kids' plate. Do a little research on famines in Europe, or, as was mentioned above, Monsanto, to learn a bit about why farmers need all the help they can get.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how about low or interest free loans or gst rebates that they get, with the economy the way it is i dont get those perks if it rains for a weeks straight i dont work nobody hands me nothing and yeah i might not feed you but i supply the means to heat you in the winter and cook your food

ned

Reaction score
any time I need more fertalizer on my crops I will invite cyle out to make a speech. all that shizzz should make something grow.(this coming from a farmer who grows 1800 acres by himself and also works off the farm as much as possible)

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Cyle has been some kind of bitter lately!

Thanks farmers for all you do and hopefully the ones in the flood regions can get back on their feet sooner than later!!!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to hold my toungue for respect of the mods and no one else. But I am glad the babies got their bottles......Pathetic.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad.

I wonder how some people in this thread deal with real life. Can't say i've ran into to many people who will care if they hurt your tiny little feelings because they said something you don't like.......Big meanies :rolleyes:

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the Strathmore area, the crops are behind a little bit. Hay and pasture lands are doing awesome. The 4-6 inches of rain we had in June was a great thing to see because of the last few years of hardly any rain. We've had alot of heat this last week and it's making everything grow like crazy. Here's to more heat and a few showers through July to keep everything going. :beer::beer::beer:

Happy Canada Day!

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I know it's pretty sad for the ones that actually mean it.

There is a reason there are so many extremely well off farmers in alberta.....don't try to make it seen like they work 20 hour days and end up making nothing.

Anyone who says farmers don't get a lot of help from the gov't needs to get their head out of the sand. Or they are a farmer and just want more :rolleyes: I'm not saying they shouldn't, but the fact that they get it and so many still whine and cry is pathetic.

Ya food is a need, just like water, shelter and all that other crap. Anyone stupid enough to run a business of ANY kind that isn't making money is retarded, enough said. But farmers do it because they make money.....

You need to do some research. Lots of types of farming have never taken a penny from the government. I farm and i personally don't support government programs and have never taken a penny from the gov't. Don't get any special loans either. You won't hear me complain we don't make good good money or that I'm overworked. Don't paint all farmers with the same brush.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think cyle is just pissed he can't work out in the country and get paid for it! never heard anybody biatch so much about the people that feed the world! but then again, he would never make it out in the country, too many gravel roads and he would have to spend 20 hrs/day polishing his precious truck!!!!!!!! just saying......

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think cyle is just pissed he can't work out in the country and get paid for it! never heard anybody biatch so much about the people that feed the world! but then again, he would never make it out in the country, too many gravel roads and he would have to spend 20 hrs/day polishing his precious truck!!!!!!!! just saying......

I'd say something, but then some whiny babies would cry to the mods again that there feelings got hurt.

I say it like it is, life is tough, no one to whine and cry to in real life. Some people on this forum need to realize that and stop crying all day. In real life no one gives a crap if they offend you with something they say. O wait......I don't care here either.

Last edited:

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say something, but then some whiny babies would cry to the mods again that there feelings got hurt.

I say it like it is, life is tough, no one to whine and cry to in real life. Some people on this forum need to realize that and stop crying all day. In real life no one gives a crap if they offend you with something they say. O wait......I don't care here either.

Time for a Coke and a Smile, I say. It's Friday... the weather is better than it's been... Life is good.... Lake is waiting... Just gotta smile =)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time for a Coke and a Smile, I say. It's Friday... the weather is better than it's been... Life is good.... Lake is waiting... Just gotta smile =)

O I am perfectly happy. I just like rubbing salt in the wound of the people who were whining.

I got to leave work 1/2 hour early and still got paid. Great start to the weekend :d

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it takes all kinds of business to make our world go round. i agree with not liking the whinners, we just have to choose how we ask the questions......

i respect all professions. and i can say just cause u lose money doesnt mean your stupid, its not an easy thing to sell out either at the drop off a hat..lol

cause everyone has yrs where u dont make money....sled dealers included.....

we need everyone...to make our world go round...

hope everyone has agreat weekend.....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it takes all kinds of business to make our world go round. i agree with not liking the whinners, we just have to choose how we ask the questions......

i respect all professions. and i can say just cause u lose money doesnt mean your stupid, its not an easy thing to sell out either at the drop off a hat..lol

cause everyone has yrs where u dont make money....sled dealers included.....

we need everyone...to make our world go round...

hope everyone has agreat weekend.....

No doubt one bad year no. But what I ment is if farmers were loosing money every year they wouldn't keep farming. There is money being made in there somewhere.

dwillowguy

Reaction score
I farm as well, and some of the comments made by stupid, uninformed people make me mad...NO we are not all RICH. We are the only industry out there that cannot set OUR PRICES on OUR PRODUCT. How come the oil company's can set their prices, how come that t-bone steak is 15 bucks???? If I was getting retail prices for cattle I WOULD BE RICH. The cost of input's keep going up year after year and the price of grain drops. All it takes is a pest or fungus issue to either make it a great year or a bad year. Once the bills are paid and hopefully no major equipment breakdowns....(you better pull your pant's down and bend over in that case cause some of those parts are expensive) there's not much left over. So you ask why do I farm...well it's the quality of life from living on a farm...THAT'S PRICELESS. To get up in the morning and hear birds singing instead of car horns and sirens, to smell the dew on the grass instead of car exhaust, I would't trade that for all the money in China. We go to town and the urban dwellers are always in a rush it seems, no patience, no time to stop and smell the roses as the old saying goes. So yes I quess I am RICH in the quality of life I choose to have

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil companies don't set the price of oil, nor do they set the price of the Canadian dollar which is equally as important. Starting an energy company is probably the financially riskiest thing one can do, even more risky than farming. If you hit it big then the rewards are large until then you are broke, not every oil company is the size of CNRL or Husky and they get zero financial help from the government.

Top Bottom