sooo farmers....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have no idea how it works or how it operates...but i do know that water + sun = that process that makes stuff grow.....

is all this rain helping alot? or is it to much to early..it seems alot more than last year already!

i know it must be hard to access the feilds and whatnot as i tried last week down south and failed.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about. Has their ever been a year farmers don't complain about the weather :rolleyes:

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have no idea how it works or how it operates...but i do know that water + sun = that process that makes stuff grow.....

is all this rain helping alot? or is it to much to early..it seems alot more than last year already!

i know it must be hard to access the feilds and whatnot as i tried last week down south and failed.

The rain has been pretty spotty this year. We have been lucky so far - most of the crops/hayland/pasture are looking really well in my area. They were pretty dry, but the inch or so of rain late last week was perfect. We'll have to wait and see how the rest of the summer turns out though.

I'm sure you'll get much different responses from those down south who are maybe wishing they would have planted rice this year!!:eek: It's definitely tough going when mother nature is against you.

Already looking forward to winter though.:d Forget the rain - how much snow will we get this year - hardly could ride at all in the fields last winter? Maybe I won't be stuck working up north quite as much this winter and I'll be able to get a few more trips to the mountains anyway.

All the best to all the hard working farmers though!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The crops are doing not too bad around the Rocky area. Seems like good growing weather but we need the heat to go with all the sun and rain and it hasn't really been that warm :confused: Lows of like 4-5c and highs of 16-20c all this week. We need to see +25-30 to see the hay take right off.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH_gnXKS5bQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
careful who you Pi$$ off Cyle. farmers are the ones that feed you:nono::nono:

I wish I got money from the gov't when I didn't have a good year......Farmers ain't got a bad gig at all. And really, can anyone even think of a year where farmers didn't say there was to much rain, to little rain, to hot, to cold, or anything? Everyone else just deals with the weather......They are making money obviously or they wouldn't do it.

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I wish I got money from the gov't when I didn't have a good year......Farmers ain't got a bad gig at all. And really, can anyone even think of a year where farmers didn't say there was to much rain, to little rain, to hot, to cold, or anything? Everyone else just deals with the weather......They are making money obviously or they wouldn't do it.

There's more to life than money, and farmers appreciate that more than most. If you are talking about the big corporations, that cold attitude doesn't bother me, but when it comes to the few small farmers that are still trying to maintain an existence, uneducated comments like yours are incredibly insulting. Pipes had it right.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's more to life than money, and farmers appreciate that more than most. If you are talking about the big corporations, that cold attitude doesn't bother me, but when it comes to the few small farmers that are still trying to maintain an existence, uneducated comments like yours are incredibly insulting. Pipes had it right.

It was directed at the massive ones, that seem to be the vast majority now. They are just like any other company, making money some good years some bad, but yet they recieve extremely special treatment from the gov't.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Isn't farming a little like sledding?

The farmer hopes for rain; not too much, some here, some there, not the heavy washouts with hail, nor the heavy windy rain storms! Never in the fall when harvest is going and not in the early spring when seeding is going full bore.

The sledder hopes for snow; is there ever enough or ever too much? Some in this valley, some in that valley or some more on that range. Don't want those clear, cold nights and the facets to effect the next snow fall or a cold spell to penetrate to the ground and form permanent weak layers. Those heavy, wet storms aren't the best but if they are early in the season, they make a great base.

The farmer and the sledder....is there anyone else that looks at the weather as much?

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com

Buddy, you have to wake up.

Big farmers or small (average farm size in western Canada, 1600 acres 2002 census). its a hell of a living. NO control over the weather, which determines the real out come of your crop. NO control over your input cost, which determine your bottom line, NO control over the pricing, which determines your bottom line. We do have the option of locking in pricing but its not our asking price, its what the market can bare/ or the big companies decide they want to pay. We have Major dollars invested in equipment and land. Yes at the end of our run we HOPE that land values have increased and our equipment is in good shape, bought and paid for so that we can sell the investments off and have some money in the bank. Now you are gonna say well you have winters off etc. Yes some are lucky enuf to have some time in the winter to enjoy themselves and good for them. Others of us work all year round and some of the smaller farms are rely on off farm income to help pay the bills. Yes. there are some BIG farms but the tie you speak of to the gov't, not true. Some of the BIG hog plants and feed lots are so intergraded they do seem to get special treatment but i would say its not the way you are wording things. As Pipes mentioned we DO FEED THE WORLD. We are losing control over what we can plant due to Monsanto and other "life science companies" pushing there agenda on us. The ones of us who are diversified get hurt do to the gov't programs you speak of only covering off the major crop kinds. I can go on, but will stop for now and yes my livilhood depends on farming

Cycle, you have a bur up you a$$ about something with your neg and cold post, are you gonna tell me my tractor is too loud too?

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
i dont know.

i am just curious as to how things are going this year as compared to last

Maxwell,

here in MB we have had too much rain and spring seeded crops are going backwards. We have heat which is helping lots, but too much rain at the wrong time. Perennial crops (ie alfalfa, grass crops etc) looking fair to good but again, sunshine and some heat and being able to go 4 days without rain would help out lots. Hay, very hard to make any good hay this year with it raining every 3-4 days.

I was in southern AB a few days back and they too are behind and feeling the pressure of too much rain. crops didnt look as good as in MB. SK, buddies around Moose Jaw, has only seeded 15% of his land and will NOT seed the rest, real bad in southern SK due to too much rain at the wrong time. Its not too often we see this poor of a crop in all of western Canada, but most of the west is in rough shape. pics say a 1000 words (pic from Brooks area)

Attachments

• May June 2010 021.jpg
    May June 2010 021.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 23

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farmers do get treated differently than other small businesses and here's why... they are the basis of the countries food supply and ensuring that the food supply is safe and secure is the governments number 1 job. Nothing causes a breakdown of the social systems faster than good old fashion famines. Next the government has to ensure the effectiveness of the food distrubution network ie roads, truckers, stores, fuel supplies etc. and so on and so forth. Food is a huge deal.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Buddy, you have to wake up.

I can go on, but will stop for now and yes my livilhood depends on farming

Cycle, you have a bur up you a$$ about something with your neg and cold post, are you gonna tell me my tractor is too loud too?

Careful or he will run over you with construction equipment.......:eek:

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell,

here in MB we have had too much rain and spring seeded crops are going backwards. We have heat which is helping lots, but too much rain at the wrong time. Perennial crops (ie alfalfa, grass crops etc) looking fair to good but again, sunshine and some heat and being able to go 4 days without rain would help out lots. Hay, very hard to make any good hay this year with it raining every 3-4 days.

I was in southern AB a few days back and they too are behind and feeling the pressure of too much rain. crops didnt look as good as in MB. SK, buddies around Moose Jaw, has only seeded 15% of his land and will NOT seed the rest, real bad in southern SK due to too much rain at the wrong time. Its not too often we see this poor of a crop in all of western Canada, but most of the west is in rough shape. pics say a 1000 words (pic from Brooks area)

O.M.G.!!!!! :eek: If it doesn't stop raining soon you may need to put a snorkle on that tractor!!! :d

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about. Has their ever been a year farmers don't complain about the weather :rolleyes:

Not to stir the pot,.. but I have been fixing farm/construction equipment since '93, and I here it almost everyday. I just go with it and encourage them to keep up the good work,.. OR with the customers I know really well I say, "you're always complaining." They just laugh and say ya, gives me something to do :)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to stir the pot,.. but I have been fixing farm/construction equipment since '93, and I here it almost everyday. I just go with it and encourage them to keep up the good work,.. OR with the customers I know really well I say, "you're always complaining." They just laugh and say ya, gives me something to do :)

Yea I know it's pretty sad for the ones that actually mean it.

There is a reason there are so many extremely well off farmers in alberta.....don't try to make it seen like they work 20 hour days and end up making nothing.

Anyone who says farmers don't get a lot of help from the gov't needs to get their head out of the sand. Or they are a farmer and just want more :rolleyes: I'm not saying they shouldn't, but the fact that they get it and so many still whine and cry is pathetic.

Ya food is a need, just like water, shelter and all that other crap. Anyone stupid enough to run a business of ANY kind that isn't making money is retarded, enough said. But farmers do it because they make money.....

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey Cyle, you have to pay into all those investments that gov't hands back to the farmers. You will pay into them for years, and may never be able to use them, due to the situations of the year. The money that is given out in hail insurance is what you have paid into, plus the premium, no hail, you lose the money you have given to the gov't for insurance. Maybe look into it a bit.....:nono:

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quote Sledhead_2002: "Cycle you have a bur up you a$$ about something with your neg and cold post, are you gonna tell me my tractor is too loud too?"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA :smiliestirthepot:

Top Bottom