Something needs to change!!!

EmEight

Reaction score
Is this more of a problem on Boulder frizby area? Seems to be one of the most popular areas to ride. The only other place I have been to ride is valemount.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you see it everywhere. I remember seeing guys arrive at the cabin around 930am downing a couple of beer each before the real day of riding begins. I'm one who doesn't drink on the hill either. It doesn't bother me if guys have a couple throughout the day. It is unfortunate that the guys who are only having one tend to get tied to the guys who are completely smashed.

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't blame the stupidity on the alcohol, it is after all an inanimate object, stupid drunks are often stupid sober.....

Feel free to take a picture of me having a beer on the hill, I'll even smile for ya, doesn't mean I'm drunk or will not easily pass a Breathalyzer.

I always find it amusing how many come on here and preach about zero tolerance yet EVERY TIME I'm in the hills there are folks having a drink or 2 in the cabin or around the fire. I also see the guys who pack in a 15 pack or a 40lb'r and if you choose to lump me in with that crowd because you see me having a beer that's your loss.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to lump the casual drinkers with the drunks that seem to be frequent on the hill nor am I trying to talk down on those who really only do have one or two through the day. It just becomes a grey area and as you said yourself there are guys that are always having beers at the cabins and this is where many people take their families and kids to enjoy a nice sled ride. A kid cant decipher between a light drinker and a drunk all that they observe is someone who is consuming alcohol and going to operate a motorized vehicle which could cause bad influences at a young age as they will think since an adult does it I must be able to do the same when I am older. As you said too that you see guys who pack in 15 or so and how are kids or me for that matter supposed to know that you are on beer 2 or 8? Cause I can only see you drink one at a time and I am not about to sit there and count how many a person will consume cause I rather be out riding as opposed to sitting at a cabin having beer.

I am not trying to be harsh or lump you in with all the irresponsible drinkers out there as I know there is a large number have people that know their limits. With me being younger I get lumped into crowds associated with partying and drinking all the time just due to my age when that's not how I am so you are not alone when you get judged without someone knowing you.

Also I wont bother taking a picture of you having a beer because its not worth my time and that is your choice and I am fine with that. I will also be too busy tearing up all the powder that you are missing out on.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with being accepted by the younger crowd in my opinion because the younger crowd is not all the same and gets stereotyped. I see myself being a old man trapped in a young guys body so to speak (I am 23) and I have always had zero tolerance for alcohol when riding and drink very little period. I will not ride with people that drink while riding because that is not why I ride I am there to have a good time and find some powder. The problem comes with the mindset of your riding group I find. Its a shame, but it seems that a lot of people in our sport are kind of childish and feel the need to constantly prove themselves and their buddies that they are 'the man'. So it almost becomes a competition between each other and each guy does not want to appear to be the weak link so they join in and contribute to a series of bad decisions. I myself don't see the need or benefit of consuming alcohol while riding as it sets a bad example for the next generation of riders and puts a bad image on our sport. I discussed this with my dad the other day questioning why guys feel the need to drink while riding and why cops don't have check stops coming out of staging areas as they would catch a lot of impaired drivers.

Love it or hate it that is my view of the issue.

What a great post. Thank You Giver! Well said.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So tired of seein guys like that.smokin dope or drinking hard on the hill.like go do that chit somewhere else.when i come to bc..i come to ride snowmobiles progress riding and take in the beautiful scenery.not get baked and drunk on the hill like a bunch of goofball bs.quit acting like children and get the &@$& off the hill.

drinking and riding dosnt mix.what are u idiots willing to lose..think of what your family would think,your kids etc.

GROW THE &$@& UP.

my 2 cents.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You booze you loose as the saying goes. I picture it this way, imagine you or you're buddy gets swept by an avi. How useful are you going to be after 10 drinks deep?

That is exactly the point. I live in BC.. love it here.. came from Alberta Born... I hold no prejudice for province or Country... but I freakin want to go out to ride... ride hard.. but play safe and take every precaution to ride to survive. I have a very cautious personality. I am loving and kind in a BC hippie kind of way but if you @#$@# with my survival while out riding... make no mistakes.. I shall speak my piece... and make choices that include my survival. I reach out to people, fellow riders everyday, but if you are hell bent on being stupid... I have to back away, with a heavy heart that stays with me for a long time. I hold everything in.. eventually it comes out in a mental health day I spend at home wigging out doing yoga smudging and chit... but when people are stupid in the back country it effects us all... some deeper than they know.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Wig out day today.... wear an effing back pack with your shovel and probe and wear a freakin beacon (transceiver is the proper name as per avalanche canada's request) DO NOT take inexperienced people out into the back country wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I repeat WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY beyond their skill set, without safety equipment.... in you're whole entire freakin group............... and then have that poor guy ride the rescued sled out of the deep back country whipped and broken.. leaving others to help him out. Yup major wigg out moment as I knew this poor young adult..used to teach him music.. and trust me he was mortified that his music teacher was helping him out of the deep back country when we came upon their group. There needs to be common sense but some have no idea what common sense is. They have no idea what they don't know... till they know.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not gonna say much here. Some days I do take a beer up in my pack to enjoy while sitting enjoying the sun and scenery. I have no issue with anyone enjoying a beer or two over the day. Just one question. Any of you peeps on here preaching zero tolerance ever have a glass of wine at supper then drive home from The Keg; or to the store later that night? Just wondering.......

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Of course not..... those types don't use the internet, everyone on here is perfect....

I'm not gonna say much here. Some days I do take a beer up in my pack to enjoy while sitting enjoying the sun and scenery. I have no issue with anyone enjoying a beer or two over the day. Just one question. Any of you peeps on here preaching zero tolerance ever have a glass of wine at supper then drive home from The Keg; or to the store later that night? Just wondering.......

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of whining pussy control freaks! If you don't want to have a drink on the hill don't but don't feel the need to tell everyone else what to do. If it was as bad as some of you say there would be carnage and death all the time out there but it is not. One poster said in his years of sledding he's seen two instances...two! Oh my god the sky is falling. You people come on here and spout off to make yourselves look like like the pillars of society.
Oh please save us from ourselves!

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to consider, if you were to be involved in a fatal accident on the hill Avalanche or falling off a cliff cravace or a head on on the trail and you had been drinking or smoking pot life insurance is void! Leaving your family with nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to consider, if you were to be involved in a fatal accident on the hill Avalanche or falling off a cliff cravace or a head on on the trail and you had been drinking or smoking pot life insurance is void! Leaving your family with nothing!

Once again we are lumping the 1-2 beer peeps in with the rare; "Help me to my sled and velcro me to the seat" guys. There is HUGE difference there. I haven't myself seen anyone chithammered on the hill for a very long time. Maybe it's who I ride with; and where we go? Now when we get back to town......well that is whole new thread. Snowseeker staggering into the supper special sign at the Grizz and chit is just after sledding entertainment.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once again we are lumping the 1-2 beer peeps in with the rare; "Help me to my sled and velcro me to the seat" guys. There is HUGE difference there. I haven't myself seen anyone chithammered on the hill for a very long time. Maybe it's who I ride with; and where we go? Now when we get back to town......well that is whole new thread. Snowseeker staggering into the supper special sign at the Grizz and chit is just after sledding entertainment.

The point was to think of your family and ride safe I can personally care less how others choose to spend there spare time on the hills one or two pops or 10 were all adults and our own liquor control boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or when your so pissed you fall face first into the gong and with a bleeding nose have to buy the bar a round.....

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went into the boulder cabin for lunch one time and there was a group of guys puffin on the electric lettuce inside the cabin. A family with 2 younger kids came in to warm up, and did an about face and walked out. Kids didn't even get a chance to warm up cause of these guys. Not sure why they couldn't have their puff at their sleds before they came in or after they were done in the cabin...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of whining pussy control freaks! If you don't want to have a drink on the hill don't but don't feel the need to tell everyone else what to do. If it was as bad as some of you say there would be carnage and death all the time out there but it is not. One poster said in his years of sledding he's seen two instances...two! Oh my god the sky is falling. You people come on here and spout off to make yourselves look like like the pillars of society.
most rediculous thing I've read. Follow the rules. Your probably the guy that carries the beer and the empties. Cause with an attitude like that your not much of a sledder

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have on occasion in my youth consumed a beer in the alpine, but I didn't do it at the warm up cabin, nor did I drink to excess - there is no place for it in the back country, nor is there any reason to be smoking left handed cigarettes, especially at the warm up cabin where others may arrive (think impressionable children). These days, I'd rather have water on the hill, and maybe a drink with supper afterwards - I've no desire to drink where it could result in a hangover, lost licence, or personal injury to myself or others. That is my opinion and I'm entitled to have it. I will not tell you how to live your life, but will offer assistance if needed / wanted.
In 20+ years of riding, I seldom have seen intoxicated people riding, but I generally ride mid week when there are fewer people, so it may not be an accurate picture of what's happening out there. To the OP: do you feel that these offenders only drink or do drugs on a snowmobile? I doubt it, it's more then likely that is their typical behavior whether driving, riding, etc. A simple check stop at the staging area may slow some of them down, but not all...
As individuals, we have to police ourselves, and live with the consequences of our actions. There will always be people that feel the law doesn't apply to them regardless of what the penalties are. But Karma has a way of straightening these people out eventually...

EmEight

Reaction score
I have on occasion in my youth consumed a beer in the alpine, but I didn't do it at the warm up cabin, nor did I drink to excess - there is no place for it in the back country, nor is there any reason to be smoking left handed cigarettes, especially at the warm up cabin where others may arrive (think impressionable children). These days, I'd rather have water on the hill, and maybe a drink with supper afterwards - I've no desire to drink where it could result in a hangover, lost licence, or personal injury to myself or others. That is my opinion and I'm entitled to have it. I will not tell you how to live your life, but will offer assistance if needed / wanted.
In 20+ years of riding, I seldom have seen intoxicated people riding, but I generally ride mid week when there are fewer people, so it may not be an accurate picture of what's happening out there. To the OP: do you feel that these offenders only drink or do drugs on a snowmobile? I doubt it, it's more then likely that is their typical behavior whether driving, riding, etc. A simple check stop at the staging area may slow some of them down, but not all...
As individuals, we have to police ourselves, and live with the consequences of our actions. There will always be people that feel the law doesn't apply to them regardless of what the penalties are. But Karma has a way of straightening these people out eventually...

I guess Ron white said it best...

CatAttack900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What if you seen someone have 2-3 beers then get in their car and drive!! Your telling us you wouldn't have a problem with that!! The same with sledding, people see drinking and riding on the mountain, and are expressing their concerns about it. So I don't see the need to call people whining pussies, when they are only concerned about their well being.

Top Bottom