Something needs to change!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was thinking about the DUI scenario yesterday while riding moguls for miles and miles................

Is it a logistics thing with the sheer numbers? Impaired drivers, left behind sleds, left behind trucks/trailers and are the police responsible for the safety of said vehicles until they are towed away and stored in a compound?

EmEight

Reaction score
you want enforcement then trade your sled for skies. They can make sure your not over served at the ski hill. Last thing Sledders and our sport need is more (regulation)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. But without regulations we may all be trading our sleds for skies.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
We all already have skies with our sleds. Sometimes the skies are blue. Other times they're grey. And, sometimes you can't even see the skies cause the weather is so socked in. But, have no doubt, the skies are still there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all already have skies with our sleds. Sometimes the skies are blue. Other times they're grey. And, sometimes you can't even see the skies cause the weather is so socked in. But, have no doubt, the skies are still there.

Fricken spell check on my phone screws up all the time.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh. Wait. We're you guys talking about skies or skis? Now, I'm all mixed up.

SPELLING.jpg

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have started typing a reply a few times... but it all sounded redundant. Here's what I want to say:

1. Make wise choices out there that ensure your own personal safety and survival
2. Realize that your choices can and do affect others out there for good and for bad
3. Understand you are setting an example for others out there again... for good and bad
4. No one wants to head out and die when they go riding, realize that if your poor choices seal the fate of others out there
5. Sometimes you have to speak your mind, even if you appear uncool or preachy.. Some people out there are thick headed and simply do not get the fact that booze, drugs, winter, remote riding, and horsepower don't mix.
6. The person who's life you save by making wise choices most certainly have a family and loved ones who need that person to remain in their lives.

Have I seen a chit shows on the mountain that cause harm... yup. Have I personally been affected by someone elses poor choice.. yup. Have I experienced the loss of someone I knew who was out riding and drinking.. yup.

I make decisions on the mountain that I would like my children to make. They are my compass, this also includes choosing who I ride with.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great note Momma! The consequences of decisions do affect more than just the person making a bad one. Usually it's someone else who ends up getting hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On two occasions over the years I have ridden onto the results of overindulgence on the hill, both times alcohol related but whatever,a rider and his group was pissed up and somebody got hurt. The first time I was told off for my attempts to assist and the second I never even went that far! Now my personal policy is if your in that situation because your drunk or high, your not my concern and and I don't intend to involve myself or crew in your mistake!
This attitude may not make me me any friends but that's not my goal in life anyway!
When we were kids, I'm ashamed to say we drank and rode all the time, that's how prairie teenagers got home from the party before we had licences' but that was a long time ago and I'm not 15 anymore. We had wrecks almost on a weekly basis.... Stupidity to say the least.

EmEight

Reaction score
I know we all use that excuse "when I was young I did some stupid things." Well it's not just the young anymore. Some of the guys that seem to be the drunkest appear to be in their mid 50s. Are they trying to be cool again? Want to be accepted by the young crowd? That is not a great example to set.

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with being accepted by the younger crowd in my opinion because the younger crowd is not all the same and gets stereotyped. I see myself being a old man trapped in a young guys body so to speak (I am 23) and I have always had zero tolerance for alcohol when riding and drink very little period. I will not ride with people that drink while riding because that is not why I ride I am there to have a good time and find some powder. The problem comes with the mindset of your riding group I find. Its a shame, but it seems that a lot of people in our sport are kind of childish and feel the need to constantly prove themselves and their buddies that they are 'the man'. So it almost becomes a competition between each other and each guy does not want to appear to be the weak link so they join in and contribute to a series of bad decisions. I myself don't see the need or benefit of consuming alcohol while riding as it sets a bad example for the next generation of riders and puts a bad image on our sport. I discussed this with my dad the other day questioning why guys feel the need to drink while riding and why cops don't have check stops coming out of staging areas as they would catch a lot of impaired drivers.

Love it or hate it that is my view of the issue.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Don't blame the stupidity on the alcohol, it is after all an inanimate object, stupid drunks are often stupid sober.....

Feel free to take a picture of me having a beer on the hill, I'll even smile for ya, doesn't mean I'm drunk or will not easily pass a Breathalyzer.

I always find it amusing how many come on here and preach about zero tolerance yet EVERY TIME I'm in the hills there are folks having a drink or 2 in the cabin or around the fire. I also see the guys who pack in a 15 pack or a 40lb'r and if you choose to lump me in with that crowd because you see me having a beer that's your loss.

Top Bottom