Some pic's of the rocky area old railline.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pic's of some of the trail conditions on the railline trail (most of the pic's are from a trouble spot). It is not all mud, most of it is nice 2wd going.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 130
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMGP1013.jpg
    IMGP1013.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMGP1014.jpg
    IMGP1014.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMGP1033.jpg
    IMGP1033.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 109

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there aint no such thing as a truble spot for a bruteforce .... gusse thats why you wear takein the pics... Looks like nice riding around there.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i have said normally i'm out there at least twice a month or more ,but this yr things happened that i couldn't ,then we got alot of snow out there. I have been out a few times to go a little ways but it is tough going, too much snow (winching up all the hills etc.) over an hr to climb a hill that normally takes a minute. Also i have been fighting a wrist problem that gives me a ton of pain.
We are going to have to let most of the snow melt berfore we go out there with quads again.
I see most of you are not too far away, someday i'd love to get up and ride the Iron Horse trail. I've got a buddy up in Barrhead and we sometimes go out to the Vega area (great stuff there).
Yes dirt bikes can ride on the rail, however some spots will be very challenging.
The map is posted on this forum under "map of railline rocky to Nordegg. Just print the 3 pages off and line up the roads etc. and you have a map.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome looking trails, hope to do some riding there this summer. have you ever rode north of nordegg down the trunk road to the blue bridge campground, the blackstone creek area?

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome looking trails, hope to do some riding there this summer. have you ever rode north of nordegg down the trunk road to the blue bridge campground, the blackstone creek area?

No i haven't been on any trails in the blackstone creek area, but have out there in the pickup truck and it does look very nice, might be some good riding.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Don't bother with Blackstone Gap area. We were at the random camp area on Chungo road last summer. We found only 2 trails, they were nice but that is it. We did a lot of road riding trying to find trails that were on the backcountry map books.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Don't bother with Blackstone Gap area. We were at the random camp area on Chungo road last summer. We found only 2 trails, they were nice but that is it. We did a lot of road riding trying to find trails that were on the backcountry map books.

If you ride around Baldy and Coliseum Mtn north of Nordegg that is a real great day. Fantastic trails in that area, keep you busy for a few days anyway., I find that area nicer than Bighorn.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score

I have rode that area as well May long last year we found some trails but there was still 1.5 feet of snow as we got up higher .We were right at the Chungo outfitters .The snow wasn't really the problem as the trees that fell over winter.It wasn't the best place to ride but still a good time was had.And the road off the trunk road was full of wash outs

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what would be cool, trying to get a snow and mud ride out in this area head all the way in to nordegg iv allways wanted to go there hope this summer sometime.... or even cadimon.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode north and west from Nordegg, We were camped at the Snow creek campsite, about 6 km. west of Nordegg. From there we rode north through the cut block. There is one cut line that heads a long way north.
we rode for about 6 hrs, and finally turned around. Great riding area but short on trails.

The Snow Creek group campsite would be a great area for a S&M campout.
Lockable gates, camp kitchen, supplied wood, nice open grass area. Not sure of rental cost

Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what kinda ride is it ya know mostly flat trail with little mud or is there an even mix. How long a ride is it from rocky to nordegg time wise and KM.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
it is about an hour or just under 100K.The riding is trails or cutlines we found skag and some really steep hills .Like we had to winch up them.i don't climb steep hills like that.It is nice but some trails were dead ends because of the trees that fell.After cuting a couple with the buck saw my out of shape a$$ was tired.Actually we rode right to the Blackstone Gap,,kinda cool to see

Top Bottom