So what's "in" for crossover sleds for 2013/14

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was maybe looking at getting back into sledding this year and was looking around, so what's in for sleds? I won't be doing any serious mountain riding, but it would mostly be 75% pow and 25% packed. I have been looking over the Doo's and Polaris's, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, 144" to 163" track, blah blah blah lol.

Things sure have changed since the late 90's early 00's, are the engines more reliable than days of old :)

That Reny Backcountry X sure looks nice haha, but pricy.

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
Doo RENEGADE hands down. A bit wider ski stance and track makes for great on off trail riding. They are lightweight and many use them in the mountains as well. One of the best crossovers out there (and many good used ones out there for a fair price)

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was maybe looking at getting back into sledding this year and was looking around, so what's in for sleds? I won't be doing any serious mountain riding, but it would mostly be 75% pow and 25% packed. I have been looking over the Doo's and Polaris's, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, 144" to 163" track, blah blah blah lol.

Things sure have changed since the late 90's early 00's, are the engines more reliable than days of old :)

That Reny Backcountry X sure looks nice haha, but pricy.

Cant go wrong with the polaris switchback assault. The arctic cat high country or the skidoo renegade backcountry.

Only downfall of the switchback is the standard one has a 1.375 track, you need to spring order to get a 2" track but some dealers order them eith the 2" for in the show room.

The renegade and the cat come with a 2.25 track.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summit 146 or 154 that way there good on the trail but when your in the powder you will be smiling. The free rides are nice to and they are 137 146 and 154.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the cat XF high country? I think it would be an awesome crossover sled. I don't think you would be disappointed with any if the crossovers.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the cat XF high country? I think it would be an awesome crossover sled. I don't think you would be disappointed with any if the crossovers.

In either a 4s or 2s it's a fantastic crossover with good mountain ability.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking around today and am thinking I may snow check a new 800 skidoo for next year. I dragged my azz this year instead of getting the ball rolling. I still have my '02 800rmk with the horrendous throttle pull, but I can live with it lol. I am still not sold on the Polaris engines, as the '02 is on its second and was replaced at 2500km, and all the reports from the last couple years with cranks and such.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a real serious look at the freeride. I cannot say anything about the 14's as I haven't had the chance to ride one but I love my 12 around home and in the mountains. 80% of my riding is in Alberta.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have been contemplating and riding and drinking and drinking and have decided. Come the snowcheck in April and if nothing has really changed,.. I dislike being the guinea pig for a first year new model. I have decided on a Switchback Assault 144", it will serve what I need and for what I do.

I am just curious what Polaris is going to do this year.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I swallowed my pride and bought a 2012 arctic XF 800 high country last year and I gotta say, I absolutely love it, I rode polaris for 25 years and was always a fan of them, but after riding the cat, I have a new love.... I rode a '13 pro rmk 800 and honestly, it didnt feel as comfy as my cat, I tried a brand new skidoo and it felt pretty much the same.... so I would say skidoo or cat

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had crossfires. Renegade bcx. Yamaha nytro low boost. And lots of older chassis cats for ditch banging. This year I have a 2014 freeride 137. The best sled on the planet. IMO. I'm almost 700 km. and this sled rocks. Handles unreal. Jumping roads. Carving next to fences at 50 mph. Never loved a sled like the freeride 137. I ordered it with a 1-3/4 track which is great for groomed trails or deep snow. My brother has a high country and its pretty sweet also but I prefer the Doo. Also with a 4 yr warrenty and the high miles I ride its going to come in handy I'm sure. My last ditch sled had 7800 km in 3 seasons so I could see over 10k in 4 yrs.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seeing all the doo breakdown posts I am very reluctant to purchase a new doo 4yr warranty or not

Redneck002

Reaction score
4 year warranty is a coax you know that xmsummit warranty is only as good as your dealer id rather no warranty your gonna fix the problem with better stuff anyways.

lman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Nytro XTX 144 with Back Country 1.75" track. The 4 stroke torque sure allows you to get out of tough situations. Heard the Viper which is even light does the same.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a 2010 Back country 800r the sled does real well in the trail, lakes, floats real good in the deep, climb ok my son has a 2012 summit he kick my butt on the hill climbs and side hill.Other than that he can't come close to me on the trail or anywhere around trees or flat out on the lake Summits top out at about 125-130k.m .Took the backcounrty up to 160 k.m across the lake .As a rider what do you want, me i want everything and i think i got it with my Renegade Backcountry. For me i want etec

Top Bottom