Snowpulse Airbag vs ABS????

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
First time I deployed my BCA (testing it) I hadn't closed the fitting tight enough to get it to deploy. I know how to do it correctly now.
It takes a fairly good tug to get it to release - but release it does.
I think the BCA will serve the purpose, similar to others in the market, if required (and I really hope it never is).
It carry's a ton of stuff in the backpack portions and I'm very please with it - used it for most of my season last year.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is no fault of the pack!

This pack sat for a summer season and likely left hooked up and the air slowly leaked out.

This can and will happen on any air cylinder. Be it BCA, ABS or SP.

We use high pressure 3000psi (which is what snowpulse is) and 4500psi cylinders all the time and if you leave them sit longer enough hooked up to something (or just sitting) they can leak.

This guy was a dolt! Use some common sense here, check the tank pressure before test firing it, check the tank pressure before gearing up for the season, check the tank pressure before riding that day! :rolleyes:

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Snowpulse airbag. I saw one perform at Ghostrider in Fernie. Re-fillable bottles are a nice touch. Does anyone have any thoughts...I am assuming the dealer will be at the sled show...

Welcome to Avalanche Safety Solutions

let me know dobir what you decide.maybe i can pick one up for you at the show if the prices are a bit better for the show.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This pack sat for a summer season and likely left hooked up and the air slowly leaked out.

This can and will happen on any air cylinder. Be it BCA, ABS or SP.

We use high pressure 3000psi (which is what snowpulse is) and 4500psi cylinders all the time and if you leave them sit longer enough hooked up to something (or just sitting) they can leak.

This guy was a dolt! Use some common sense here, check the tank pressure before test firing it, check the tank pressure before gearing up for the season, check the tank pressure before riding that day! :rolleyes:
i think that was the jist of the thread, to make sure to test stuff! he's not a dolt either, just tested the bag BEFORE going out on the hill, and then posted about it to make sure that others would check their stuff over too. and not in any spot did he say it was the fault of the pack

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sticking yourself on camera to show how the airbag functions then finding out there is no air to discharge = dolt

"Dolts are not necessarily stupid people, but engage in stupid actions or make stupid comments. Others around them would define their actions as dumb, spaced-out, or uneducated. Dolts often "speak to soon" as their stupid actions are often preventable."

Atmittedly I have been a dolt once or twice before. :d

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said I checked snow pulse ans abs they were the only 2 out when I bought and I liked the snow pulse.:d:beer:

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats a great idea, I should get both my tanks checked out. Where abouts would you suggest I could get that done?

From AST course they suggested that Snowpulse helps potentially protect your head/neck but restricts visibility. The ABS packs allow you to deploy and try to veer from potential dangers.

Jason01

Reaction score
I have personally used ABS in an Avalanche. Believe me, ABS is very uncomfortable and I had a head injury but not too severe. The ABS just does not protect your head and the neck where the injury is most likely and a person can even go in coma. Also the cylinder contains Nitrogen which is hard to find on the top of the mountain and anyways the cyliner is not re-useable. You need to send it back to ABS for re-fill.

Just last week I tried SnowPulse in a medium sized avalanche on the Swiss Alps. Pulling the trigger was as easy and the bag was inflated in about 4 seconds covering & securing my head, neck and the chest part. I was also not burried and it is also very easy to re-fill the cylinder from any nearby scuba shop or fire fighting department.

I feel that ABS is certainly not a good and reliable design. I would surely recommend Snowpulse over ABS to all the users.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have personally used ABS in an Avalanche. Believe me, ABS is very uncomfortable and I had a head injury but not too severe. The ABS just does not protect your head and the neck where the injury is most likely and a person can even go in coma. Also the cylinder contains Nitrogen which is hard to find on the top of the mountain and anyways the cyliner is not re-useable. You need to send it back to ABS for re-fill. Just last week I tried SnowPulse in a medium sized avalanche on the Swiss Alps. Pulling the trigger was as easy and the bag was inflated in about 4 seconds covering & securing my head, neck and the chest part. I was also not burried and it is also very easy to re-fill the cylinder from any nearby scuba shop or fire fighting department.

I feel that ABS is certainly not a good and reliable design. I would surely recommend Snowpulse over ABS to all the users.
Jason01 welcome to the site and thank you for your input, but I have some questions.
So how long does the snowpulse stay inflated on a accidental deployment? when I looked at snopulse The bags deflated over time.
Can you actually ride or ski and still be able to look around and have full movement of your head while trying to out run a slide? Airpulse bag supports your head so much that you loose vision and head movement when I tested one.
Each bag system has there pros and cons IMO, slides do happen and yes I'm glad I have a airbag on my back just in case, but I DO NOT rely on it. Why would I put myself in that position that I would need to deploy it? yes I want to enjoy my day but also want to come home.
As far as the cylinders go, how many fire dept, scuba shops have you seen at the top of the mountain? Here in canada and the US ther is none to my knowledge, just saying.
At least I can still ride the rest of the day with my bags deployed, (plus look like a tard) LOL, I can take my cylinder to my local ABS dealer for a exchange if they are out of spec or empty, and now any Skidoo dealer, I check the weight of both my cylinders before every season to see if thay are in spec.

When I was investing in a airbag system I looked at all of the systems and based my decision on some of these points, NOT the cost.
When buying a piece of saftey equipment the user should be comfortable with the product that he/she chose and learn how it functions, and for those who don't know, nitrogen is less sentive to altitude and temperature changes than air is, there is a reason why nitrogen is replacing air in tires.
I'm happy with the choice I made on a airbag system, and for those of you looking to invest this year, chose the system that YOU feel that is going to be the best for you, and at the end of the day ALL of the bags systems potentially do one thing, BRING YOU HOME!!

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AS WELL, ABS now has the remote buddy system. A wireless tranciever on you that can be depolyed by your riding partner(s). I think this is huge personally as most avalanche hanppen behind you or in your run out.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oler1234 makes a great point. I hauled a gentlemans body out of the mountains a couple years ago that may have made it out alive with a system like that. He got hit from behind after turning out and never got a chance to deploy his ABS pac and there was a bunch of guys in his group that were also wearing ABS pacs who could have helped if they were equipped with this system.
I use the Snowpulse and my wife uses an ABS. We bought hers a couple years before mine and it was a real pain in the ass to get the cylinder refilled, at least a couple week turnaround on getting that done. I can refill my own cylinders at work so that was one of the major deciding factors for me. I don't find the Snowpulse too restrictive for me once inflated and I like the protection it gives my head and neck. I hope that Snowpulse comes out with a similar system of remote activation though because that may well be a lifesaver.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remote activation is a pretty awesome feature, but it's not often that everyone in your riding group will have the same equipment (unless you are out with a tour or something !?)

For me snowpulse takes the cake .. if you are going down in a slide vision is less important than head and neck protection. I've deployed my snowpulse to test and it gave me enough vision to try and outrun the beast behind me, which in the moment of panic is probably pinning it straight down. But chances are you are going down with it and hopefully the bag will keep you afloat.

Also another big plus on snowpulse is that it deflates after 10-15 min and releases breathable air and room to move IF you are buried. That right there is worth the price of admission.

I have actually owned both. Bought an ABS first, got stolen from my vehicle a week later then bought a snowpulse. I absolutely hated the bag design on the abs for getting my shovel and things out and the buckle was a pain to work with gloves on. Mind you this was a couple of years back so I'm sure the bag designs have improved

I'm one happy snowpulse customer and hope I never have to use it!

Either way, you are doing no wrong if you have any sort of airbag on your back.. BCA, ABS, or Snowpulse! Ride safe everyone ..

Last edited:

NorthstaRmk

Reaction score
I have used my snowpulse for two seasons and after extensive reaserch went with it over abs. The only knock i have on the snowpulse is the straps around your waist always seem to come loose no matter how well you tighten and adjust. Jmo

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They both have their pros and cons.

The thing you need to do is find whats best for you and just get one.

You can't go wrong with any of them really. Try them on, look at the pockets, the feel, the quality and then you can make the choice.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They both have their pros and cons.

The thing you need to do is find whats best for you and just get one.

You can't go wrong with any of them really. Try them on, look at the pockets, the feel, the quality and then you can make the choice.

The main message here is get one Snowpulse ABS BCA whatever but if you ride backcountry and don't have one you should be askin yourself why not.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the way it inflates as well, but the rip cord is to large and exposed. Easy to catch on braches, handlebars..etc.

we have 4 of them in our group and i've never had my rip cord catch a branch and i spend alot of time in amongst the trees

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have 4 of them in our group and i've never had my rip cord catch a branch and i spend alot of time in amongst the trees

Been using mine for 3 yrs and no accidental deployments or snags. Been fortunate and have not needed to deploy it while sledding. I do however test mine at the end of each season. I wait for a time when the house is calm everyone laid out watching tv relaxing, I walk in the room and pull the handle next thing I know kids wife and dogs are stuck to the roof LOL bag sure inflates fast.

Top Bottom