Snowpulse Airbag vs ABS????

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like a great product to me. I see it as a last resort for avalanche safety. Better than some one trying to find me with a stick. As for comfort with a helmet on, who cares. the 2000 tons of snow hitting my head will be more uncomfortable. Price wise, 15,000-30,000+ for a sled is a lot more than 1200 for my life. Just my 2 cents.

Obviously it would be priceless in the event that it saved a life, but most guys don't have $15k - 30k to spend on a sled. I spent about 6 last year. So to put into perspective thats like you paying $3000 - $6000 on a pack.

I'm going to have to wait a while and ride smart.

kelwar

Reaction score
I would like to get one but i dont have that much $$$ for me to spend.
Why does saftey have to be so exspensive!!!!

drop the hammer

Reaction score
I've got an older generation ABS single pack, and i will try out the fit of the Snowpulse, time to upgrade since my old ABS is a bit small for storage for the riding i do now (it was great for me over the years), but now i need an extra layer and some other gear in my pack and the old single just can't fit it all in, with lunch and a couple gatorades in there too. Also my single has the old style orange hoop rip cord (not the newer T handle) and I did hook it on my bar end once after pulling bits of chaincase out of my belly pan.....damn blown chaincase caused my ABS to go off....i was pissed and then more pissed when she blew.
Also, some guys may not realize that these things do not inflate super fast like a vehicle airbag, it is much slower (if i remember right it is several seconds to full). i would think at that rate it would cradle your head/helmet, not knock you silly as one would think. i hope to see a firing demonstration a the show.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMSICK - you feeling particularly thankful today?????? Does everyone get a thank you??

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no, not everyone. but I hate hearing about people dieing on a mountain when something so simple can save their lives. hell, each time I pack my gear, rent a room, pay for fuel, etc. my trip is over a grand. and twelve hundred is too much for a bag. not very often do I park at the bottom of the hill and see anyone driving a vehicle over two years old. so ya, thank you to everyone who promotes these items. just my two cents!

Last edited:

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I had a snowpulse last years and sold it to a guy who was heading out to the hills and really wanted one. I am buying a new one this year.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure which one i am sold on now, think i will take in the sled show and see what is what. Maybe take my pack that i use now and see what size i need to stuff all the needs into. Basically has to have shovel storage and proble, snow bungie, and all the other needs.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m leaning to the Snowpulse, but the sled show is the best place to look at all the alternatives and decide what one to go with.

krazy ken

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone wear's a chest protector with there avy bag, does it fit properly and comfortable. Started wear protector last year and it doesn't feel right without one now.

wide_open

Reaction score
I purchased the ABS Escape 15 last year before, and I must say the construction of the bag is great. However, I was trying to use it with my Canon DSLR camera with a 70-200mm lens, and it was too small for that, as that unit would take up the whole bag.

The bag has a spot for a water bladder, but even in barely below zero my hose froze up no matter what I did, so I think that it is kind of redundant. Inside the bag, there isn't much room like I said. No where to really put a jacket if you already have your lunch in it. Also, attaching your shovel to the Escape is a feat in itself.

The store had no Vario's in stock when I purchased, so I took the Escape because I told my fiance I wouldn't ride without a pack. If I had to do it all over again, with or without the camera, I would definitely buy the Vario.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Vario freestyle last year and it has more than enough room for lunch and other things like survival kit, fire starter, extra gloves...etc. My shovel fits nicely on the outside and has places for probe and handle. ABS Vario gets my vote and ABS are proven..just my :twocents:

honky

Reaction score
Hey Venture Gear A Backcounty store in Kelowna is stocking the snowpulse bags as well as the BCA. The price is a big difference ,but i think the Pulse bag and the fact that it raps around your head is a big plus. The other plus is that the pulse will be available this year and BCA is a little slow at getting there stuff to production.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed that the guage on their snowpulse canister is not accurate after being deployed? My brother in law and I deployed our bags before the Snowmobile show in Edmonton, and then took them to get refilled. Avalanche Safety Solutions filled them both for free, and gave us "boosters" to install on our packs. After getting the canisters refilled, they both showed in the blue "cold" area. I took them to a local SCUBA shop, and when they confirmed that the canisters were between 3000 and 3100psi, the gauges still showed in the blue. I am wondering if we should be trying to get replacement canisters or what. If we knew how much a properly filled canister weighs at 20C, we could at least check that way, but I can't find the weight published anywhere. The joys of expecting your expensive equipment to work properly....

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed that the guage on their snowpulse canister is not accurate after being deployed?

Mine was like that when I recieved it new and undeployed. Stopped by Avy Safety in Golden on my way to Kelowna and he replaced it no problem. Give him a call. :)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed that the guage on their snowpulse canister is not accurate after being deployed? My brother in law and I deployed our bags before the Snowmobile show in Edmonton, and then took them to get refilled. Avalanche Safety Solutions filled them both for free, and gave us "boosters" to install on our packs. After getting the canisters refilled, they both showed in the blue "cold" area. I took them to a local SCUBA shop, and when they confirmed that the canisters were between 3000 and 3100psi, the gauges still showed in the blue. I am wondering if we should be trying to get replacement canisters or what. If we knew how much a properly filled canister weighs at 20C, we could at least check that way, but I can't find the weight published anywhere. The joys of expecting your expensive equipment to work properly....
Did you try putting the canister in the freezer to see what the pressure would be at -20?.
Unfortunatially that's the problem with air compared to nitrogen, the pressure varyies too much with temp. what's the temp of the canister when it's being filled?
ABS gives you a tolerance of +/- 5 grams

Top Bottom