Snowmobile Warranty Options and Recommendations

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a serious note, considering how many people I hear buy extra warranty, anyone come out ahead after 3 or 4 years? I never buy extended warranty and I am wayyyy ahead of the game, but I guess I also don't ride 2000km per year either.

The warranty companies don't do this for free, on average they are going to make more in warranty premiums than they pay out for repairs.

Just like insurance.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The warranty companies don't do this for free, on average they are going to make more in warranty premiums than they pay out for repairs.

Just like insurance.

correct

they win on Skidoo and lose big time on polaris. But even a skidoo wont make 4 years of hard abuse unfortunately

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They might survive 4 years of an old guy that barely rides though. And there is a lot of those guys out there buying warranty im thinkin.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They might survive 4 years of an old guy that barely rides though. And there is a lot of those guys out there buying warranty im thinkin.

yep that is very true, maybe 5% of riders are actually having major issues with these new sleds. Mostly the guys that are just abusing them and pushing their limits. But, these are high performance two strokes and there is also a chance that even an old guy will grenade a 10k engine on the way to the cabin so its all about what your willing to risk. These aren't gmc 6.0l gas engines we are talking about here.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The first year of the 850 (2017) we popped a motor. I don’t remember the mileage but it was early January of 2018.
The bill for the warranty (service manager showed me what he sent to BRP) was mid $8600 and change.
I was not able to find out what happened to.
Yes, the 850 is an expensive repair if the whole motor needs replacing.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep that is very true, maybe 5% of riders are actually having major issues with these new sleds. Mostly the guys that are just abusing them and pushing their limits. But, these are high performance two strokes and there is also a chance that even an old guy will grenade a 10k engine on the way to the cabin so its all about what your willing to risk. These aren't gmc 6.0l gas engines we are talking about here.

Ya and if they were prepared to replace that 10g motor it might be worth it. But you have to pay 2500$ for them to maybe pay 5000$.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do what ever makes ya sleep better at night. Some people are warranty people and some aren't. I tend have bad luck, and usually have warranty on most things worth over 20g. Last summer, My DI 6.2 Kodiak engine with 15 hrs in new boat piled up. This is basically unheard of as these motors are supposed to be just about bullet proof. It had to be shipped back to Oregon before i could get the new motor shipped as they wanted it torn down there to see what the cause was. Turns out casting sand in an oil journal? 6 weeks down time with a new boat in short summers really sucks.

Dec last winter, blew the 7.3 motor in 2022 F-350 37,500km. Apparently dropped a valve, and took out cylinder. I do drive the truck a little fast, but it is always maintained. As for the boat it is an 8* so there isn't much real abuse on the motor.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just added 2 years of BEST warranty on my 23 Edge 175 which factory warranty would expire this coming November $2714.25 including tax.This is the last NA 175 for Skidoo so will have it for a while as it only has 2100 km and have it setup the way I like,coming up to 40 years riding the backcountry not sure how many more sleds I will buy🤓

Not sure if it’s worth putting on,my 19 Summit X 175 top end was changed just prior to the 4th year warranty expiring.Top end was changed due to low compression at 4900 km.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the Turbos there was no second year option with BEST warranty.
That’s unfortunate they don’t have 4th year on BEST,I didn’t think there were much warranty claims on those models.All the turbo’s I ride with have seemed pretty good,only one young guy in group was warranted secondary clutch and 2 belts,he could nearly leave his skis at the truck as he’s on full boost most of the time.To be young again lol!

Top Bottom