snow shoes- what do you think?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm contemplating strapping a set of snowshoes to the back of my sled for those real deep days when you can't move around trying to get un stuck or walk to your buddy who's stuck.

and i'm talking nice compact aluminum ones that have snow board bindings on them, not the big wood and hide version that first comes to mind.

what do you ppl think, any one do this?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought about it the first time I stepped off my sled to armpit deep snow. Never did anything about it though. People carry a lot dumber stuff with them in the hills.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea at all. I might have to go get some.

sent from a phone

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I often thought of that to. I went to can tire a while back and they had a set on sale for about $60.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya usually get what ya pay for, leave the small snowshoes for the kids, ya need a large pair, the weight numbers the stores use are usually for well set up snow. deep powder ya will be cursing the day ya was born. i've have at least 5 sets, and bigger is better.

Mayfly

Reaction score
Yeah I have a smaller set and imdoo'n is right you will just sink to your navel not your armpits. Then the struggle is on trying to lift them up and outta the snow. Don't waste the money.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mayfly, the shoes would have to be too big. I always just try to track up around them than walk in sled tracks, if I cant track around them I will let them struggle long enough that they toss me a beer to make it worth the walk/crawl.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm with imdoo'n and carry them quite often. When we break trail into the basins we follow the creeks and there are lots of rocks. A-arms and such are expensive so we pack the trai first with the "shoes" then take the sleds. Also, if we are exploring new areas to find new riding places (or secret meadows) we will strap them on and make trails.

They are a god send on the day's that you have to use them. Don't cheap out if you actually plan on using them. I have a set of industrial Sherpa's that are 32"x10" in a canvas sleeve that I bungee to the tunnel.

If you want a pair on the tunnel just to look cool buy whatever you want. Good luck!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with imdoo'n and carry them quite often. When we break trail into the basins we follow the creeks and there are lots of rocks. A-arms and such are expensive so we pack the trai first with the "shoes" then take the sleds. Also, if we are exploring new areas to find new riding places (or secret meadows) we will strap them on and make trails.

They are a god send on the day's that you have to use them. Don't cheap out if you actually plan on using them. I have a set of industrial Sherpa's that are 32"x10" in a canvas sleeve that I bungee to the tunnel.

If you want a pair on the tunnel just to look cool buy whatever you want. Good luck!

Mine look way cooler hanging on my garage wall! :)

I bought some figuring I would do just as Fernie said, and I just never take them. I used snowshoes for years growing up to check trap lines and such. Bigger is better.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always carry a pair, and use them a lot. Even smaller ones are better than just your boots. Wouldn't leave home without them! ;)

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use to run them all the time, still will if i know we are goin explorin. other then that they stay home. dont want to loose them while playin in the trees. dont cheap out either. i bought these ones YEARS ago. like others said, they have to be fairly large in order for you to float. good luck!

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2382-1.jpg

on the search for new ridin area's....and we weren't disappointed!!

IMGP3667.jpg

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of these. Tested them a few times last year around my acreage in deep snow. They worked well for my 180 lbs. They are small enough to strap on my tunnel bag too. Wish I would have brought them to Blue Lake on Saturday.
Left them in the trailer and could have used them trying to get out of an interesting area.
montana-yeti-snowshoes-with-crampon.jpg

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never leave home without them, when you got a buddy that gets stuck that often they are a godsend.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of these. Tested them a few times last year around my acreage in deep snow. They worked well for my 180 lbs. They are small enough to strap on my tunnel bag too. Wish I would have brought them to Blue Lake on Saturday.
Left them in the trailer and could have used them trying to get out of an interesting area.
View attachment 119686
Where did you get them?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found them on eBay. I think there's a website for them too. Yeti snowshoes.

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These ones are great and inexspensive. I used to take them, definalty helpfull in the deep fluffy snow. They are made by and old timer in Corner Brook, NL. The set I have are 20yrs old and still going

Attachments

• snowshoe.jpg
    snowshoe.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 93

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or you just have size 14 boot and you can walk any where!
;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After having to leave sleds and hike out in armpit deep snow one year. I have pretty much always carried them.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Packed a set once, found I never even used them, seemed like a waste, unless you plan on do a lot of walking.

Top Bottom