Snow blower Mod

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old snow blower runs great but here is a way to make it throw the snow better.

Found this trick on line to help it not plug up and really throw the snow. Can't wait to try it out.
The theory is the two stage auger systems are very inefficient. Adding some heavy rubber or similar material to take up the gap between the auger and body will make sure you have a tighter clearance and therefor stop it from plugging up as easily and make it throw the snow better.

The material I used was a railway shim i found walking the rails. It's kind of a rubber/ neoprene. I installed one at a time and installed it so it rubbed. Fired it up and let it work its way in. Repeat for the other two blades and all done.

Before

After

Video clip

Last edited:

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great idea and job! I think it will help the problem I have with the ocausual f***in rock that always jams right there. Update us after you try it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great idea and job! I think it will help the problem I have with the ocausual f***in rock that always jams right there. Update us after you try it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was thinking the same thing about rocks. Will do with the update!!

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't say you are a man until you own one of these lol that's the most awesome thing ever.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just looking at the snowblower last night thinking about doing the same.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a good idea so I looked at mine and there was over a 1/2" between the blades and the drum and it was only throwing the snow about 6 feet. It's a 10hp 30" so I figured that sucked, LOL. I used heavy duty mud flap and tightened mine up and it works awesome! Throws it over 20' now. Thanks for the idea, hope you don't mind I used it?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a good idea so I looked at mine and there was over a 1/2" between the blades and the drum and it was only throwing the snow about 6 feet. It's a 10hp 30" so I figured that sucked, LOL. I used heavy duty mud flap and tightened mine up and it works awesome! Throws it over 20' now. Thanks for the idea, hope you don't mind I used it?

COOL! I haven't actually tried mine yet. I hope I get the same results.
Wasn't my idea, just found it on the internet and thought I would share so use away ;-)

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did this to a blower a few years ago. It does work well. A couple of tips though. If you can cut oval slots instead of holes for the bolts. The rubber wears quickly and it's easier to slide the rubber outwards when it does. Also don't put a lot of tension between the rubber and the outside housing. Saves wearing a groove in the metal. And use the same amount of stuff on each vane for balance.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got to use it. Same result 20 feet!! I was moving a snowbank from snow that I piled up from the back deck. I can damn near put the snow into the back alley!! LOL.

Great idea slotting the rubber, Makes sense!

Top Bottom