Snorkle needed for summit etec

jumpingjack

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is anyone that has come up with a solution to the air intakes from freezing off in deep snow. When ever the snow is deep and the temperature is cooler the per-filter material gets wet from all the heat coming from the engine area and melting the snow. Once you get going again the snow hits the pre-filter intakes and they freeze off choking the air from getting to the motor.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
drill two holes in the back of the airbox

Do not put holes in the lower airbox on an etec if that is what you are reffering to.

If anywhere, put them in the upper one.

Ptek=lower airbox intake holes
Etec=no lower airbox mods

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i still don't like flow rights in the lower box on a p tek....

think it will suck belt dust in....

was going to make a snorkle to the rh side of the gauge pod to the front box with 1.5 hose ... with a frog skin cover ...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

was going to make a snorkle to the rh side of the gauge pod to the front box with 1.5 hose ... with a frog skin cover ...

The reason to put them in the lower air box of the ptek is to help eliminate the restrictive main air box. ThunderProducts low boy filters work best for that. If you do that you need to increase fuel to the mid range. (shim the needles) Changing the upper air box won't do a lot. It still has to pull air down through that tiny tube.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about a snorkle behind the gauge-cluster where the wires are.... empty space that air can come from top-sides-bellow ....

only problem might be not being able to clean it off with out poping the cluster out ...

is the stock box on a xp that restrictive ??????? or is it where the air comes from .... if it can get air from the back side of the box might work better [ kind of bellow lh headlight ]

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

theres no thinking about it.... it will suck in clutch dust. What i did was throw on a bondi box and a slp intake. Never had a issue with starving a engine from air. C3 also makes the oversize air box. AS for the etec, you could just peel the ice of with your nail no?? The pre-filter material is the same as the 08, and thats what we did untill manufacutures come out with something.

jackinthebox

Reaction score
I beilieve i seen one on thesledshed wbsite.Aluminum pipe that comes out of rear box then angles up thru cowling with sock on the end of it...little pricey,but looks the part.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
between christmas and new years i was wiping mine every flat i could ..... cause when ya needed it its bogggggggggggggggggggggggggg ...... wipe it and good to go again

mine also has the filter with bag that sticks out .... velcroed one side bag , and other side box .....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talked to al from the sled shed....... said the cluster is where all the hot air goes if ya have it in the open behind it... said the filters on the back side of the box yes some belt dust .... i might try one snorkle line and one flow right [ on the oil tank side of the box ] and the snorkle line to the back of the upper [ front box ]

al also said to take the air horns out ..... they are just for sound control and just restrict the flow

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talked to al from the sled shed....... said the cluster is where all the hot air goes if ya have it in the open behind it... said the filters on the back side of the box yes some belt dust .... i might try one snorkle line and one flow right [ on the oil tank side of the box ] and the snorkle line to the back of the upper [ front box ]

al also said to take the air horns out ..... they are just for sound control and just restrict the flow

yup. and the stock airbox restricts 3-5hp from the ptek. Its all for the noise police.

It also restricts the etec but at this point we can not mod the lower box and it has a larger intake tube so its not as bad.

jumpingjack

Reaction score
On my 09 xp I did put the holes in the back of the lower air box with prefilter material over the holes. We had this sled out on the weekend and it didn't bog and starve for air like my etec did.
As stated above the issue with the etec intakes is that they blind off because the material gets wet from the heat and than once the snow hits it they freeze. I am constantly reaching down and wiping them off but what a pain in the a$$.

I like the idea of putting a third pipe into the upper air box and venting it up behind the gauge cluster.

IMAG0269.jpg IMAG0268.jpg
These pictures were from yesterday in Revy. When we were moving the snow was up in your face and sled was completely burried.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the snow this year is either hero snow or stupid deep.

Mother nature just doesn't know what the hello to do

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jumpingjack;1338559 When ever the snow is deep and the temperature is cooler the per-filter material gets wet from all the heat coming from the engine area and melting the snow. Once you get going again the snow hits the pre-filter intakes and they freeze off choking the air from getting to the motor.[/QUOTE said:
Would adding some vents around the pannels help release the engine heat.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm about 3/4 done the snorkle mod... Have 2 tubes one on each side. Both are going just above the side bolt mount for the headlight housing. Just need to come up with something that holds the outside air tube tight so it don't rub the frog skin.
I guess the front one is where the 600 rs tube goes. Where I have the front one is the biggest tube u can go with out having issues with the headlights.
Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom