Sneezing causing car accidents, who had this happen?

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
My son rear ended a car this week, right after he sneezed, he looked up and the cars in front had stopped, not at an intersection. He tried to stop(not speeding, but was ticketed for following to close) this was in ST. Albert. nobody was hurt. How common is this, I know of one other person who this happened to, she got of with a warning.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't happen to me but my dad always told me if I rear end someone tell the cops I sneezed just before it happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't had it happen but have been close due to sneezing. Freaked the wife out though. Lol.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin was in a head on a few years ago. The other driver had a sneezing attack and came into his lane. Major broken bones and a helicopter ride to the hospital. The sneezing story didn't help the other guy.

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Ya I have been i bunch of sneezing, coughing, yawning, chronic ich, something in my eye, split hot coffee in the lap, trying to kill a mosquito, bee in the truck crashes and i would have to say tons of them over the years .....and if I had a nickel for every one of those excuses I'd be rich. Thats one of the reasons we installed HD dash cams satellite tracking with on board telemetry. And those excuses don't hold water whether it is our own guys or 3rd party. The only excuse is eyes off the road when they are doing something especially a rear ender. Seen lots of videos where have someone is having coughing or sneezing fit when in control of something 1st thing body does it goes into panic mode off the gas and brake to get control or dive over to shoulder to get stopped almost everytime or until they are back under control.

So how common is it? Its pretty common excuse but following too close not giving enough room incase something happens in never an excuse people give....but it is always the charge

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't had an accident due to sneezing, but I have thrown out my back sneezing. Walked into the shop floor hale and hearty, midstride I let loose a good sneeze and pulled a back muscle. The guys thought I was joking when I crumpled against a bench. Hurt like all get up. Boss was not impressed.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fight that ticket!!! Cops are told at an accident EVERYONE gets a ticket weather you are in the right or wrong. My wife works with a EX RCMP and he told her to fight the ticket for following too close.

She was trying to merge onto a two lane road. One van was in front of her. The van took off with no one in front of it so it had no reason to stop. As my wife was rolling out she was shoulder checking to make sure her yield was clear. The van stopped and she nailed it totaling her car. Both air bags deployed and that was the reason for the write off. The car looked mint other wise.... Anyways she fought the ticket, went in and got a court date and before that date came she was notified the charges were dropped.
He said (the EX cop) no one witnessed her if she was following too close. He said the Van driver should have been charged for impeding traffic for stopping in the middle of the road way, and maybe she was we don't know. We are suspecting insurance fraud as the husband showed up on scene, yelled at her (foreign language) and we never saw her again. The husband came over and said she has whiplash and cant get out of the car. She was cleared already by paramedics, the husband didn't know this at the time lol. Our insurance company said we will be looking into this as most people never have whiplash at the scene, its always a few days later.

At any rate. Even following at a safe distance during a sneeze I'll bet you would be at risk. Could have been a long drawn out sneeze.... or a short one. While some peoples eyes do not close during a sneeze, most do It's an involuntary reaction we have no control over it.[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I personally slightly hit the brakes when I am sneezing and try to watch as best as I can what the car is doing in front of me. It's not easy to do when you get one of those multiple sneeze attacks from bright sun light.[/FONT]

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my arm on a counter one time and had a violent sneeze and dislocated my shoulder, was funny but hurt like hell lol

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my arm on a counter one time and had a violent sneeze and dislocated my shoulder, was funny but hurt like hell lol

Good thing you weren't holding onto something "important".

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really,,, an accident from sneezing? U should t be driving anything if u cant anticipate an overwhelmingly out of control violent sneeze attack??? I could throw my signal, brake and pull to the side of road while knowing where surrounding traffic is with ease if i had to sneeze.
He was probably rolling a joint
Or texting
Or road head
Or racing
Or checkn out soccer ma in her denali puttin lipstick on
Or fak anything more distracting than sneezing

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Road head is far more dangerous.....I didn't realize that I close my eyes when I finish....who knew :dunno:

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
road head ,now that's the ****,nothing better than gittin road head while eatin a big f,,king hambuger and pullin super b.Old guys know how to multi task if you cant walk and chew bubble gum at the same time quit driving.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one asked how old the kid was or how much experience he had driving, by the OP even asking the question makes me believe that the driver is young.
Could of been a honest mistake and got distracted by something. I could see following too close and a sneeze distracting him. I dunno, kids are kids too! At the end of the day if no one was hurt than it's a lesson learned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom