Smoked belt

SwampRatt

Reaction score
Smoked the belt pretty good on the outlander, thought i might change it but it looked fine when i took the cover off. Now i can smell it every time i ride when i'm not even working it hard. Are belts wrecked after one good smoke? Maybe it's my cheapness trying to keep this one on

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will smell it more because of your snorkles being at the level of your face. Were you in reverse when this happened? Just ride out that belt, but you better start carrying a spare belt and clutch tool.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The thing with smoking the belt is that you have to be in the right gear and never push too hard.. the belt will always be the weakest thing.. When you smoke your belt, it will be glazed.. glazing is just that... its a shinny surface on the sides of the belt... now besides glazing, you probably wore a low spot into the belt too by getting it so hot in certain spots.. take your belt off and check it good.. feel with your fingers around both edges for low spots... if no low spots then mic the belt.. it should be 30mm width at the widest point which is the coged top..... any less and its toast. if thats fine take the belt and under very warm water take a good bristle brush and a touch of like sunlight and scrub the sides... this only works ok if belt slightly glazed.. heavy glazing and belt is toast...

even a new belt should be scrubbed the same way, to get all the containites off the sides... then dry it and then you can install it again.. once on, remember to spin the driven or secondary backwards so the belt tightens up again all the way to the top of the driven...

for best results, besides the belt, i take my primary and in a swirl pattern i take emery cloth or one of those scrubbing pads.. they come in green (smooth) and sort of brown (ruffer pad) and clean up the primary clutch faces or sheaves by sort of sanding a new surface into the sheaves.. you can do this to the secondary too.. in a circular motion.. you want a new surface showing swirl marks all over the sheaves...the belt will wear that surface off quite fast but thats the way you keep your faces of your clutchs in good shape

another reason you probably smoked the belt is i see you run mudzilla's.. they are very heavy tire and you have to be on the ball more so with big/heavy tires like that and keep it in low more for certain situations....

Even thou i dont run big mud tires... my big horn originals are not that light either but only about 15 lbs more total then stock.. if you know your limits and treat your clutches and belt with a little TLC then it should last you quite a long time.. i have 7000k on my orginal belt,,,,,

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you change a belt? Are there special tools needed?

It's not hard, but you do need a M8x1.25x70 bolt (or longer). You thread the bolt into the secondary to release the belt. I think there's ways to remove the belt cover without taking your runing board off, but it's not that hard to remove the running board and will save you a whack of money in the swear jar. Sounds like you need to check your belt anyway, so give it a try at home - then you'll know exactly what tools you need to take out with you on the trail.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would replace the belt and keep that one as a spare..........It will always work in a bind to help you out.If you keep running it you may break it and don`t have a spare,save it while it can do you some good..........

Top Bottom