sledding vs timbersled snowbiking???

alberta73

Reaction score
I dirt bike a lot and been sledding in the mountains 2 winters now, pretty good dirtbiker (track dunes hills etc.) and an ok sledder (took Dan Adams course last January and loved it). Been tempted to get a timbersled track kit for my 2012 kx450. Everyone I talk to that has them and also sleds say things like "I maybe rode my sled twice all last season" and "once you get the hang of this thing you'll never touch your sled again." Just trying to decide what to do, sold my 11 rmk pro 800 last year with the idea of trying out the 13 pro but really want to give the timbersled a try for a season and cant justify spending the money on both. Timbersled kits are over 5k all done and it's unlikely the kit will hold its value like a sled would, either way you say goodbye to a few thousand no matter what you do. Any converts out there. I ride crowsnest and fernie mostly and the long beatup trails in worry me on a bike. Note; no comments needed on explorer kits or even 2 moto - nothing out there even compares to the timbersled in the mountains from what I have researched. Thanks

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dirt bike a lot and been sledding in the mountains 2 winters now, pretty good dirtbiker (track dunes hills etc.) and an ok sledder (took Dan Adams course last January and loved it). Been tempted to get a timbersled track kit for my 2012 kx450. Everyone I talk to that has them and also sleds say things like "I maybe rode my sled twice all last season" and "once you get the hang of this thing you'll never touch your sled again." Just trying to decide what to do, sold my 11 rmk pro 800 last year with the idea of trying out the 13 pro but really want to give the timbersled a try for a season and cant justify spending the money on both. Timbersled kits are over 5k all done and it's unlikely the kit will hold its value like a sled would, either way you say goodbye to a few thousand no matter what you do. Any converts out there. I ride crowsnest and fernie mostly and the long beatup trails in worry me on a bike. Note; no comments needed on explorer kits or even 2 moto - nothing out there even compares to the timbersled in the mountains from what I have researched. Thanks

Don't have one...just sold my crf450r this summer....and there is no way in hell I would have put one one my bike. 5 grand to go slow...hmmmmm. Done a ton of research myself. I rode a snore hawk many times back in the day. At least it had power.
What does your bike have for ponies? 55 HP? Pushing around 500lbs with kit and rider?

It may be fun for a year or two dare I say more fun...cuz it's different. But it will never surpass sleddin. Never. They can't go where a stock 800cc newer sled can go. Not even close. No vid yet that I have seen shows different. Post one up if some one has one. 4 ft powder day busting trail into the climbs....not happening....barely do it with 3x the foot print and 3x the HP with only 200lbs more weight. You can't argue physics and simple math.

I think they are cool, and if I had money to burn....sure. But to give up a sled and go bike....not this guy...ever.

Good luck, post vids and pics...they are fun to watch

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say its good for ditch banging and riding around home in low snow, but put it in 5' of bottomless and it will sink,
how many times have you rode your sled on a true 5' deep day? I garuntee sleds will be stuck as well.

a bike with a kit would be alot of fun in the right conditions, as long as you had other bikes to ride with.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not the same as sledding...not every time you go sledding you have deep powder but when its deep a motor bike just isn't a sled ..not even close.I can't afford both so i sled !!

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many times have you rode your sled on a true 5' deep day? I garuntee sleds will be stuck as well.

a bike with a kit would be alot of fun in the right conditions, as long as you had other bikes to ride with.

rode many a day in 3ft pow++....no bike was going where we were going...sure there were stucks....but we made serious miles too, yeee haw!! snow bike wouldnt have made even into these spots:

IMG_2138.jpg

PC200046.jpg

PC200052.jpg

to me...breakin trail and makin my own path is what sleddin is all about....isnt that what mtn sleddin is about?
your not breakin trail on one of those bikes in even 3ft of fresh pow on a grade with out making a ton of runs or having to zig-zag all the way to the top taking forever. but like pano-dude said....in the right conditions....it would be a effin blast!

snowbuster

Reaction score
I have never ridden the bike kit, but seeing these units climb and sidehill across slopes looks somewhat effortless, the bikes can easily take lines at slow speeds that sleds would have trouble with. When they do climb something really steep they seem to just fall over and not barrel roll down the hill. Probably safer in that scenario. I couldn't help but think how boring it looked, the bike I saw couldn't hold third gear unless he was going downhill. For technical terrain (in the trees) I would compare it to trail riding a dirtbike compared to a quad; easier to maneuver. I prefer the hp on the sled any day, you are working harder but I think there is a little more adrenaline involved with the sled. I had the opportunity to get a timbersled kit for a smokin' deal, but after some thought decided I prefer to ride a sled rather than a bike. Good luck with whatever you choose!

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id love to try one ,,but I think HiMark has said it best...talk to on here ,,he's a timersled dealer

alberta73

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm going to try to demo ride one this season I think. From what I gather if you try to compare it side by side with sledding a sled wins and often that is the case because your buddies all still sled. If you treat it like a totally different sport and go play in the trees that are too tight for sleds (most guys) I could see it being a blast. When I bought my 800 pro I thought how could anyone ever need more than this (155 stock 800). Then I rode in Wyoming and we had 6 feet of snow over 3 days. My only goal for the third day was to ride where I want without getting stuck (doesn't count as stuck if I get out myself). Anyway after that I started thinking I wanted a 163 with a turbo. I'm definitely still interested in the timbersled because I love dirtbiking, just wish they were more like 3k so it was no big deal to do both. I know boondocker is working on a bike turbo but being a single cylinder the exhaust comes in waves so not the best for spinning a turbo. I think you'll see more timbersleds each year for a while, everyone that sells them has already moved a lot this year, some guys sold out and it's only november.

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
himark, love the pics. especially the first one. :beer: i need to see more of those this time of year

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are fun as ch!t .. I tried one, does not replace sledding though

It's kinda like my mono ski .. you take it out on gapper days ;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to compare snow bikes to sleds is like trying to compare apples and dolphins. We do a huge amount of "boondocking, hunt and ride, tight trees where you gotta walk the lines through the trees to find a path" type of exploring for new terrain in the spring where a bike would be so much more functional for finding lines in the trees, crossing creeks etc, I've been looking at buying one too but the cost is so restrictive if you already own a sled. I highly recommend a demo ride in the right snow conditions. Depending on the terrain and type of riding you do, and what time of year, it may be a good or bad purchase. There would be no advantage to open terrain riding in any type of snow, i.e. high alpine.

If you buy one, you will need to buy 2 so you can have someone to ride with, which is one of the huge hurdles, convincing someone else to drop 5 large on a kit. You will not take a bike with sleds and you will not take a sled with bikes. You are looking at 2 different parts of the mountain. The bikes will just crawl around in all types of terrain and you will cut across sidehills so steep that sleds would not even dream of touching, or weave your way through timber that sleds will simply not fit through. Sleds cover more ground much faster and will just blow over stuff that takes bikes all day to get above. Riding them on the trail is like riding on sand, just go with the flow. Fuel costs are much lower, and you are only storing one machine for all seasons.

Don't expect it to compete head to head with a sled, it won't. Its got less than 1/2 the HP. Bike kits weren't designed to replace sleds, just start a different style of riding, which they have done. If you ride one with an open mind and head straight for the trees with it, and don't have any expectations, then it will really open your eyes to a new way of riding. Again, biggest issue is getting someone to ride with because you are looking at the mountain differently. The guys with sleds will motor up the trail 20 kms in a matter of minutes, with a bike kit you could spend all day playing in the first drainage out of the parking lot and never get 10 kms from the truck. For later season exploration into uncharted territory on set up spring snow in trees where a sled barely fits through, they are the ultimate machine IMO. I wish I could afford to have one and keep my sled. Maybe one day.

motomike450r

Reaction score
Rode with a guy today who took his out for the first time. It did ok. He is already trying to figure out how to convince the pregnant wife that he needs the high end model that replaces the swing arm. The conditions were: wind blown 15" over a hard pack. He went everywhere I did on my sled. I will try it out tomorrow if he brings it and not his sled.

250scott

Reaction score
I think it's funny the people who cut them up but haven't tried them. I'm a crappy sledder and acceptable dirt biker and was able to get a Timbersled and a buddy to get one too. I've only had one weekend on the Timbersled in Revy a few weeks ago. As there is no base yet it was effectively bottomless. 1st-I will echo the comments that they are not a sled and a sled is not a Timbersled. 2nd-Those that say they just get stuck more in the deep stuff than a sled are wrong. Just like a sled, if you pick the wrong line or don't attack a line, you'll get stuck. It's just different lines you'll get stuck on. And when you do get stuck, they are easier to get out (this I know, because about all I do on a sled is get stuck).

In an attempt to compare them-in the alpine, sleds will usually win because HP really matters, in the trees, the Timbersled will usually win because power matters less than control and maneuverability.

Top Bottom