Sledding in Elkford, BC. "The valley"

M

mattmedic

:d How many of you have ever ridden in Elkford, BC., where did you go, did you have a good time. I plan to sled up there lots this winter , with friends and family, if ever interested let me know and we can meet up. "I grew up there" so i know fome fun places to go, for all skill levels!!!!! :d

slabm7

Reaction score
:d How many of you have ever ridden in Elkford, BC., where did you go, did you have a good time. I plan to sled up there lots this winter , with friends and family, if ever interested let me know and we can meet up. "I grew up there" so i know fome fun places to go, for all skill levels!!!!! :d

I rode there once with the Calgary Snowmobile Club, it was just a trail ride down the valley and back the other side. Found some nice play area just off the trail though. I would really like to go back there with someone who knows the area. I might have to take you up on that offer when the snow flies.

M

mattmedic

Sure you bet, i will post once they have enough snow, what are you into, general playing, hillclimbing, jumping,ect. look forward to meeting you and riding with new people!!!

slabm7

Reaction score
Sure you bet, i will post once they have enough snow, what are you into, general playing, hillclimbing, jumping,ect. look forward to meeting you and riding with new people!!!

I like open meadows with lots of snow and a few small hills to play around on, not much into hill climbing, I'm a big chicken ch!t when it comes to avalanches.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ever ride north through to Fording pass?

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Fording Pass is a great trip when there is good snow.Very scienic and lots of play areas once on the BC side.Check the "Alberta south west" page under "catarac Creek" post.Plattler has some pictures on the Fording pass last March when we went through.I believe the pictures are on page 10 of that heading.We usually go through a couple times a year.Could always use a few more bodies to help dig out back there.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to some pepole who have made the ride south to Elkford but I would like to go with someone who has made the trip before. I hear the burning coal area is cool to see. I ride Fording Pass alot but have never gone south at the Tee intersection on trail. Mabye this year!:beer:

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be interested in making the same turn.We might be able to hook up some time.Do you have all the gear(beacons,shovels,probes etc)?Would be nice to go back with some more bodies.I always carry my GPS also,never leave home without it.We don't drink or smoke,just go to ride.

M

mattmedic

:p I know of that trail, we call it the fording back trial, it comes into aldridge creek area, though i have never gone through it into the atla side , was never any need to go through. and yes the burning coal seam is cool to look @ although it is so far under ground you can't see much, but the green grass around it is cool, there are so many places to play once in the "valley" if a person wanted to drive to elkford, 2hr from lethbridge the trails are less crowded and good snow falls and with a group of friends many memories can be made.

:cool: Look forward to meeting up with other riders :cool:

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy the sound of things we might have to organize a ride some time this year. Do you stage in Elkford or drive up towards the mine?

M

mattmedic

Buy the sound of things we might have to organize a ride some time this year. Do you stage in Elkford or drive up towards the mine?

Ned : I usually go right from Elkford town site, still have family there, for the most part the riding up toward the mine "fording" is limited to trail riding, and some meadows,the best riding is up the elk valley, a ride with new people is always a fun time, and should be organized in the near future, keep in touch!!!!!!!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We tried to go thru Fording Pass last year but didn't make it all the way. Not quite enough sow at the very top to make out the trail back down the other side. Tried a couple lines that dead ended and decided to turn around. Had some fun getting up there though.
Rode the Elkford area once last year for the first time. Koko Claims I think. Would definitely help to have someone that knows the area. The leader of our group missed a turn to head off the main trail. He jammed hard on his brakes and I just about planted a 900 RMK in the back end of his bibs :)
He didn't have much of a brakelight either. We got back in a ways and someone noticed my a-arm was snapped and the sway bar was hanging. A slow careful ride back for me that day.
We plan on at least one weekend trip down there and ride Rolling Hills and then Elkford.

M

mattmedic

If you unloaded then went directly across the road and started to climbup a trail, with a flat open meadow at the top. was most likley koko clames, it's a nice place to play once the slides are down, till then, i avoid it "and the locals also, a young man was killed in a slide there last year, "smith basen" there are many other places to play, if you just go up the road aways, and there is less traffic also, the locals will kill me for letting others onto their private peice of heaven... oh well, just makes it more fun with others. let me know when your planning a trip, i will try to meet up and show you other places to play.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to some pepole who have made the ride south to Elkford but I would like to go with someone who has made the trip before. I hear the burning coal area is cool to see. I ride Fording Pass alot but have never gone south at the Tee intersection on trail. Mabye this year!:beer:

I would be into to going on a ride down there, sounds like fun!:d

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In another 2 weeks if all works out I am heading down to Houston next week. so I am hoping the following week.:d

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will PM you when I am going to go for a rip..maybe we'll head out there together.:d

Top Bottom