Sled resting on closed tailgate?

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This might be a Dumb question but I often see trucks with sleds in the back with the track resting on the closed tailgate, the ass end of the sled in up in the air............

How does one get the sled up in the air to close the tailgate?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This might be a Dumb question but I often see trucks with sleds in the back with the track resting on the closed tailgate, the ass end of the sled in up in the air............

Well as long as it's a Doo and not a Yammie, you just lift it!!!

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kind of a 2 persons job one lifts the sled while the other closes the endgate, dont really have to lift it to high just to the point where the endgate will turn the track then it goes nice and easy

theslam19_98

Reaction score

just hear say but i hear this is not goodon the track and other parts on the sled i was tould it puts to much weight on one point of the sled and over time will kill your sled. here say but sounds true to me

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just hear say but i hear this is not goodon the track and other parts on the sled i was tould it puts to much weight on one point of the sled and over time will kill your sled. here say but sounds true to me

just my 2 but most of the weight is on the ski's..............and where the rest is on one point of the track/skid..............I don't see it being enough weight to do any harm, the suspension would absorb any shocks anyways..........

like I said.......just my 2........

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks so much cooler to have the ass end up with the closed tailgate. :Cool9:

Besides, having the tailgate open results in having paint chips taken out of it, I speak from experience. :Ccry:

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks so much cooler to have the ass end up with the closed tailgate. :Cool9:

Besides, having the tailgate open results in having paint chips taken out of it, I speak from experience. :Ccry:

yeah tell me about it, i picked up a tailgate protector..........cover that goes over the tailgate........and then just leave it down.......don't have much of a choice...

there is never a buddy around when Im loading my sled to help lift the sled to put up the tailgate............:d

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just lift the sled with your big pipes, then rest the track on your head while you close the tailgate! lol..

It's tough, but can be done on your own. It is however, more work lowering the tailgate on your own without letting it fall on its own.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com

They are all wrong!!! Drive sled in the truck bed, tie the skis firmly to the front of the box, fire up the sled, put it in reverse, giver a little throttle…just start the gate up…lots more throttle…DONE!!

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all wrong!!! Drive sled in the truck bed, tie the skis firmly to the front of the box, fire up the sled, put it in reverse, giver a little throttle…just start the gate up…lots more throttle…DONE!!

not all sleds have reverse. but i never thought of doing it like that

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude...I'm just kidding!!!! Don't bust your gear!!!!

I just leave the gate up and put my ramp up high and just jump it in there, lmao, but I am only 5' 8" so its tough on my own to lift but I have done it a few times not too fun.

good question though....

Senshi

Reaction score

a) it is hard on the skid; b) it is hard on the tailgate; c) your sled is more stable sitting flat as intended; d) even with the tailgate down you should have a full length support under it (3/4" plywood)from bed front to end of gate; e) by yourself, it's your back...but don't cry to me when you are all pranged up; f) if you don't want rock chips etc on your tailgate get a trailer or a sled deck! Happy hauling
Senshi

Last edited by a moderator:

spike7ss

Reaction score
Coming from the guy with the bad back, dont bother trying it! No point killing yourself to be one of the "cool" kids with the gate up.

You could always 3M tape your tailgate? Save on the rock chips.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too funny dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm roarin with laughter.....

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 5.5' box, and my rmk is a 155 so its 11' long haha. I had a 121 in it and it stuck out. I have yet to have the rmk in the back of my gmc but it was in the back of a ridgeline when it was picked up but used plywood under the sled with the tailgate down.

Tail gate down=

rock chips, hard to parallel park, if some one rear ends you they will f' up your sled BAD, destroy your tailgate and might push your sled to bend the front of your box and break you rear window

Tail gate up=

hard on your rails, hard on your tail gate, but you can at least park and if some one rear ends you just your truck bumper gets hit

I would rather take my chances with my tail gate up and my gmc has the hugest plastic cap and a big body line in the tail gate to keep it from bending

Top Bottom