Sled Registration

teddybear26x

Reaction score
So I no there has been a few threads on here stating the regs and such on getting a sled registered in BC.
However, a buddy of mine called up the RCMP office in Sparwood to ask some questions. They told him that the mandatory registration if a snowmobile is a bill that is TRYING to be passed and as of now you don't Legally have to have your sled registered. If you were to get pulled over by RCMP in BC while on the trail and they tried to give you a ticket you could tell them to go away and they don't have the right. If you still get it than you can go to court and fight it and you will be guaranteed a win because there is no actual bill in place yet.

Is this True?
I tried calling, but they told me to call back later when another officer comes on duty who knows the rules. Guess I was talking to a rookie or a secretary.
Any info on this would be great. I just did a bunch of repairs on my sled and can't afford to pay the HST you have to pay before you can register.
Thanx for your time and comments

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So I no there has been a few threads on here stating the regs and such on getting a sled registered in BC.
However, a buddy of mine called up the RCMP office in Sparwood to ask some questions. They told him that the mandatory registration if a snowmobile is a bill that is TRYING to be passed and as of now you don't Legally have to have your sled registered. If you were to get pulled over by RCMP in BC while on the trail and they tried to give you a ticket you could tell them to go away and they don't have the right. If you still get it than you can go to court and fight it and you will be guaranteed a win because there is no actual bill in place yet.

Is this True?
I tried calling, but they told me to call back later when another officer comes on duty who knows the rules. Guess I was talking to a rookie or a secretary.
Any info on this would be great. I just did a bunch of repairs on my sled and can't afford to pay the HST you have to pay before you can register.
Thanx for your time and comments

You stated an interesting point; the gov't is working on a new system for sled and quad registrations. I agree and know full well how long it is taking to try and get this accomplished. In the meantime.....

Did the old registration system for sleds (the yellow sticker that costs $10) get deleted from the overall system? I haven't heard. For all I know, the yellow sticker is required for registration prior to insurance. Hence, the HST!

Technically, the sled is to be registered. Whether or not that has changed, I cannot confirm. If the RCMP or their spokes person says otherwise, get it in writing just to protect yourself.

The gov't is looking for all the money they can generate and one area where gov't revenue is lacking is in the paying of taxes on sleds and quads. You can bet your boots that there will be a change coming and it won't be cheap for us!

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in BC sledding 2 weeks ago and talking with fish and wildlife about this , in BC no registration is required and insurance is optional as of now , but as a BC resident you are require to buy a different type of registration its a decal , that allows you to ride on crown land , this is what i was told , I am sure some of our BC members have a better grip on this , Reason I know this was they asked about my plates on my sleds and wanted to know what the minimum requirement that was needed in Alberta, just my 2 cents

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in BC sledding 2 weeks ago and talking with fish and wildlife about this , in BC no registration is required and insurance is optional as of now , but as a BC resident you are require to buy a different type of registration its a decal , that allows you to ride on crown land , this is what i was told , I am sure some of our BC members have a better grip on this , Reason I know this was they asked about my plates on my sleds and wanted to know what the minimum requirement that was needed in Alberta, just my 2 cents

I've checked into this a few years back at ICBC. I was registering a sled that I purchased that had never been registered. The sled was only ridden on a private property acreage which the previous sled owner owned. In this case no registration was required, but as soon as I want to take that sled on Crown Land it has to be registered in my name and I had to pay applicable taxes on my purchase price. At that time it was only PST, now it's GST and PST. I had to take the sled to the police station and the had to physically come out and get the serial number off the sled then run a stolen vehicle check to see if the unit was hot. Next day I picked up the form stating the sled had not been reported stolen. I took that back to ICBC and I was then able to register the sled in my name. This is the first time I've heard sleds don't have to be registered in BC. :confused:

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've checked into this a few years back at ICBC. I was registering a sled that I purchased that had never been registered. The sled was only ridden on a private property acreage which the previous sled owner owned. In this case no registration was required, but as soon as I want to take that sled on Crown Land it has to be registered in my name and I had to pay applicable taxes on my purchase price. At that time it was only PST, now it's GST and PST. I had to take the sled to the police station and the had to physically come out and get the serial number off the sled then run a stolen vehicle check to see if the unit was hot. Next day I picked up the form stating the sled had not been reported stolen. I took that back to ICBC and I was then able to register the sled in my name. This is the first time I've heard sleds don't have to be registered in BC. :confused:

never said i knew , i was just saying what they told me , but 2 things here , one i grew up in BC and was stopped many times as a young lad in my home town in the kootneys and i was never asked for registration or insurance , so i dont know and dont say i do that's why i was saying that maybe our s&m members from BC would have more info about it . And second Ive never seen a sled from BC with a plate or decal yet , So I have no Idea what the wildlife guys are talking about , Again just my 2 cents

tigger too

Reaction score
never said i knew , i was just saying what they told me , but 2 things here , one i grew up in BC and was stopped many times as a young lad in my home town in the kootneys and i was never asked for registration or insurance , so i dont know and dont say i do that's why i was saying that maybe our s&m members from BC would have more info about it . And second Ive never seen a sled from BC with a plate or decal yet , So I have no Idea what the wildlife guys are talking about , Again just my 2 cents

ok guys define registration?? I bought a new sled this yr and put insurance on it and i payed the insurance.. so you go to the gov building pay the 10 bucks to get the yellow sticker and you are giving the gov id to the owner of the sled so they can give you a fine for driving too fast down a fsr ?? as far as my sled goes i did not go to the gov building and buy the yellow sticker but if i insured the sled then it should be registered from my understanding the yellow sticker is for u to drive your machine on crown land and of course a tax grab

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Every sled I've owned in BC has always had the yellow plate decal on the tunnel. In my 25 years of riding I've only been asked once for regs on my sled. Cops don't put the rules in place and if they're not asked to enforce them, why create the BS paperwork for yourself if there's no penalty anyway. Sounds like they're finally getting stickier with this with all the thefts...about Fricken time!
Registration on a sled is the same as reg on your vehicle. The serial # of the vehicle is linked to you as the "Legal" owner. When you buy a new sled that sled is registered to you through the dealer. Used sled has be to be reg'd through ICBC . That is where the F"in Tax Grab BS comes in. If you're speeding down a FSR not likely anyone is going to get your plate #....or try to give you a fine. But if you're driving like a Jackass and endangering other people on the trail, you should get a dam fine IMO!:rolleyes: You don't go to the Gov Building in BC to get the sticker plate. You get it at the ICBC office and in BC you can't insure a sled unless it is reg'd. Same as a car. It's not the registration that's the Tax Grab, it's paying GST and PST on a sled every time it changes owners.:rant::beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Every sled I've owned in BC has always had the yellow plate decal on the tunnel. In my 25 years of riding I've only been asked once for regs on my sled. Cops don't put the rules in place and if they're not asked to enforce them, why create the BS paperwork for yourself if there's no penalty anyway. Sounds like they're finally getting stickier with this with all the thefts...about Fricken time!
Registration on a sled is the same as reg on your vehicle. The serial # of the vehicle is linked to you as the "Legal" owner. When you buy a new sled that sled is registered to you through the dealer. Used sled has be to be reg'd through ICBC . That is where the F"in Tax Grab BS comes in. If you're speeding down a FSR not likely anyone is going to get your plate #....or try to give you a fine. But if you're driving like a Jackass and endangering other people on the trail, you should get a dam fine IMO!:rolleyes: You don't go to the Gov Building in BC to get the sticker plate. You get it at the ICBC office and in BC you can't insure a sled unless it is reg'd. Same as a car. It's not the registration that's the Tax Grab, it's paying GST and PST on a sled every time it changes owners.:rant::beer:

I agree and well said......still haven't registered my sleds tho'

friggin' taxes

wiffler79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im from alberta and has anything changed on registering a sled to ride in bc, I know you have to ride in alberta but haven't done that for a few years.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What an interesting thread. I do not know the rules in BC but they sure sound like they are poorly communicated and in the case of taxes you are really getting screwed as opposed to the regular screwing we get in AB. Check out this link ICBC | Snowmobiles Seems like they are taking a stand on the issue.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What an interesting thread. I do not know the rules in BC but they sure sound like they are poorly communicated and in the case of taxes you are really getting screwed as opposed to the regular screwing we get in AB. Check out this link ICBC | Snowmobiles Seems like they are taking a stand on the issue.

That ICBC information isn't even correct.

You must license and insure your snowmobile or snow vehicle if you drive on a highway, cross a highway, or drive in a parking lot.

The above statement isn't true. All you needed was a "permit" from the RCMP. They are so screwed up that nobody really knows (the RCMP question the rules, the ICBC agents question the rules, and it is an ever ending battle.) There will be changes and they have been trying to make them for the last 8 or more years.

The bottom line is, if you come here from Alberta or another province, you are good to go if your machine is properly registered/insured in your home province. It is just like a car.

Last edited:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never registered any of my sleds, last year I was pulled over by a RCMP officer while driving through revelstoke late at night. He was sitting at the last intersection heading out of town with his lights off and as soon as we drove by he came after us. He never asked for "registration" he asked if we had "proof of ownership" for the sleds we were carrying up on the deck. I handed him my insurance card for my sled, he confirmed the SN matched the insurance card and confirmed I had not been drinking and let us continue up to our hotel. I thanked him for checking us out and we proceeded. I have no intent to register my sled again this year.

Atraz

Reaction score
I have just purchased insurance through Oasis "Got Toys" program but I have not yet registered the sled. I do not want to register the sled due to the massive amount of tax I will have to pay on the near new 2013 I bought last spring. However, I do not want to be denied for insurance coverage if the sled is damaged or stolen.... Has anyone dealt with Oasis insurance regarding claims and not had their sleds registered? Are they going to try to get out of paying a claim if I don't register the sled?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In Alberta you can't register a machine unless it is insured. If the F!@#$%^ governments can't get their sh*t together how do they expect us to conform to the rules?

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Yes you have to register your sled in BC. A CO conservation officer can give you a ticket for not having registration, or a warning and a reminder to get one...they obviously check in busier areas but more checks are on the way. Just like a car you have to pay the taxes on it when it is sold, them the rules. You can get away with for so long but sooner or later it will catch up to you and you cant complain you did not know. Not a fan of paying the taxes either but if you want to play you have to pay!

Atraz

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies but my question is not regarding the requirement for registration in BC. That is crystal clear. Registration is required. I am not worried about a ticket for $300 when registration will effectively cost me $1500. I purchased the insurance. I have a policy. The broker did not ask for registration and I got confirmation from 2 different companies that registration was not required to get insurance. I want to know if anyone has experience with insurance claims when their sled was not registered. My insurance policy is no good if "Got Toys" or Oasis or "Clear Skies" or whatever they are calling themselves bails on a claim due to the fact that the sled is not registered. Does anyone have experience with private insurance claims and a non registered sled. Thanks.

P.S. I had a 2011 Arctic Cat written off in a car accident last year that was 100% the other drivers fault and the others driver's ICBC covered my sled. It was not registered. I now want to know about private insurance... I hate tax. I might not necessarily need to get played to play.

matm8snopro

Reaction score

You can get insurance in BC without registering it. I just renewed my insurance for the second year in a row. It is not registered. When it was new, I went to ICBC and asked them the requirement to insure a sled in BC, told me they could do did as long as I had the sled and the VIN number checked out. So I took my sled to them, they verified the VIN, then I paid for the insurance. They told me to register it if I wanted too. You do need it registered to ride crownland.

All the demo sleds at work are insured by the employees riding them and owned by the company, company doesn't register them because they don't want to pay the taxes and then sell it at the end of the season and then the new owner pays taxes again.

Not trying to start a battle or anything, just relaying what I have done and what ICBC had told me here in southern BC.

I should go register it anyways, bought it in BC from a dealer and already paid the taxes, just never got around to registering it after I insured it. Guess I'm a little slow...

Top Bottom