Sled rebuild help.

Andrew.L

Reaction score
Hey there everyone.

so I have new pistons and such to install in my sled.
2012 Polaris RMK Pro 800.
I have never done a engine repair before. Only my dirt bikes and such.

Just wondering if anyone has a video for some help and guidance?
OR has a free afternoon and wants to come over and help a guy out.
The beer is cold and the pizza joint is around the corner haha.

Thanks everyone,

Andrew

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Type "dragon saver" in youtube they make rebuild kits from 08 to 15. The video is not on a pro but the rebuild is very simular. Part 1 and 2

I found the rebuilds to be easier than a dirtbike just because you dont have to deal with the gearbox or wet clutch.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Octanee

Reaction score
Are you just doing pistons or a crank as well? It's pretty similar to a 2 stroke dirtbike just that you have 2 pistons as to 1, when putting it together it helps to have a buddy help support the cylinders as you both feed the pistons and rings in the cylinders. I just bought and overhauled a pro rmk engine, crank and pistons, To get the cylinders off you take the whole upper frame off and exhaust, leave the Y pipes on, Disconnect the fuel line hoses, (you will need a fuel injection hose disconnect tool) and disconnect the 1 main plug for the injectors, take off the coolant hose/s from the head and just work top down basically... however do drain coolant out from the bottom hose as you do need the coolant level down below the cylinders otherwise you'll get a big mess.

kgb117

Reaction score
i'll be rebuilding my 2012 rmk in the spring too! thanks for the service manual Vance. Octanee, do you have to remove the upper frame if you're only doing the pistons?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres a little trick to getting the fuel lines off. So you dont have to go buy a special tool. They changed this in 2013. I will look for the video and post it.

The over structure has to come off to lift the cylinders up.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Octanee

Reaction score
i'll be rebuilding my 2012 rmk in the spring too! thanks for the service manual Vance. Octanee, do you have to remove the upper frame if you're only doing the pistons?

Yes, It's really not that big of a deal to remove it and it lets you get at the engine from the top with room.

Top Bottom