Sled decks on short box trucks in bc. Golden in particular

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was going through Golden after spending some money there which I rarely do on Golden and the cops see me in town. Follows me until I get on the main drag and then pulls me over. I am thinking, oh great another window tint ticket and possibly speeding cause there is the 60 sign now. When I turned out I pulled it up to 80 "not remembering the speed in Golden" knowing the cop was behind me until seeing the 60 sign slammed on the brakes. Long story short, did not get speeding ticket. He is carrying a tape measure as soon as he asks for all my info. He liked how the sleds were secured on front and back. The only problem was that he measured from tail lights to furthest point on sled. I am 4 foot 6. Nothing can be over 4 feet. So during the day you must have a red reflector on sled and at night a red light.
Just some info for anyone else in case you need to do some modifications before travelling through Golden. :d:d:d:d:d

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the tape measurin' cop was a RCMP or DOT? He did not take into account your clearance lights on your deck at all? Only to the tail lights on the truck? Did you get fine or a warning?

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an 8ft deck on my short box with a 162 sled on it. and never ever had an issue. i only use a superclamp in the front and a rear one on the rear

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he was wrong (the cop). Not sure on the BC law but isn't the measurement from the furthest point on the truck meaning the tip of the sled deck. On a tractor trailer the end of the deck can be 4-5 feet from the tail and marker lights. These guys don't need ribbon if the load does not pass the deck. I'm gonna ask my yard manager for the actual laws on this then repost.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the tape measurin' cop was a RCMP or DOT? He did not take into account your clearance lights on your deck at all? Only to the tail lights on the truck? Did you get fine or a warning?

RCMP, Clearance lights on back of deck do not matter because the lights have to be on the furtherest piece from the truck which is the sled. Just a written warning.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard of the RCMP in Golden doing this as well earlier this year. I was told that they do not consider the marker lights on the back of most sled decks because they are pointing at the ground. I can't comment on the legality of it but this is what I heard from an irate guy that just got a ticket in early December.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I got pulled over near Golden on our last trip in November. Same thing. My buddy has a short box and they took out the tape measure. One sled was just under 4 feet, the other one was over. Luckily we were towing a trailer, otherwise we were told we would have gotten a ticket. If you drive a short box and have a deck, the cops in Golden are on the lookout for you.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your rear markers are legal as long as they can be seen from all angles. back and both sides. then that would be your farthest back point of unit. and you have 1 meter i think it is frm that point then need some type of marking device. be it flag, light or reflector.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your rear markers are legal as long as they can be seen from all angles. back and both sides. then that would be your farthest back point of unit. and you have 1 meter i think it is frm that point then need some type of marking device. be it flag, light or reflector.

That’s basically what the RCMP told me when they pulled my buddy over.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't the cops in this province have anything better to do than drive around with tape measures and measure peoples vehicles like come on if it has proper lights and is strapped down good enough what are they worrying about

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got busted for some of the same stuff last year! I is OUR responsability to know the law and follow it! If you don't you get busted or get a warning. (lucky when you get a break and get a warning) It isn't the cops fault, it is only his job to enforce the laws. He doesn't make the laws. If you don't like the laws, lobby to have them changed! It is easy to put enough tie downs on and put some more lights out on the end of the deck to satisfy the law. I had no more problems once I put extra lights on the back of the deck!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why don't you guys with the short box and 8 ft decks just stay within the law, seems easy. you guys bitch and complain when the law pulls you over and gives you a warning, he is only telling you how to conform and he's not taking your money. seems like a good guy doing his job and cutting you some slack. you may be sued by someone banging their head on a corner of your deck, and i'm sure they will want a whole lot more of your hard earned cash.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
There is a simple solution to this...

I have taillights mounted on my deck and hooked to the rear lights on the truck, so they signal and brake. I also have 3 marker lights pointing to the rear. Side marker lights at the rear of the deck. By law, they have to measure from the rearmost functional lights, and for me this is the rear of the deck, so if the sled is hanging off a foot or so, no big deal. I have been through the DOT and cleared. It only cost a few bucks to do. I have a trailer plug in my box for a 5th wheel so I just added a trailer plug to the deck and wired the deck as if it was a trailer. Also makes the deck easier to hook up now.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ur gonna use the lights on the back of ur deck as a set of tailights etc..then u gotta rember that tailights can only be a certain height from the ground. if u get a cop when hes havn "that time of the month" lol he could issue a ticket for that. lol. more concern for the lifted trucks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not wanting to stir the pot but all our fine neighbors to the east have forgotten what BC really stands for......Bring Cash! It is expensive to live in this winter wonderland and everyone wants a piece of our hide or some of our cash.....and it is going to get worse when the new "registration thingy" comes into effect.

It is best and cheapest to follow the rules and make a point of finding out the rules before venturing out! Tickets added to an already expensive past time are real pain in the butt.....

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
if ur gonna use the lights on the back of ur deck as a set of tailights etc..then u gotta rember that tailights can only be a certain height from the ground. if u get a cop when hes havn "that time of the month" lol he could issue a ticket for that. lol. more concern for the lifted trucks

Not wanting to stir the pot but all our fine neighbors to the east have forgotten what BC really stands for......Bring Cash! It is expensive to live in this winter wonderland and everyone wants a piece of our hide or some of our cash.....and it is going to get worse when the new "registration thingy" comes into effect.

It is best and cheapest to follow the rules and make a point of finding out the rules before venturing out! Tickets added to an already expensive past time are real pain in the butt.....

I agree with you both...

And yes the fine gentleman did mention that my lights 'may' be a bit high, but I only have a small lift on my truck, and there was an enclosed sled trailer close to us and the new LED lights (tall and skinny) are mounted at the same height or even higher than my deck so there wasnt much discussion about it. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that my setup is perfect or even LEGAL but it is giving them LESS reason to stop me. I will likely sell the deck and go to an enclosed in the future anyway...

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why don't you guys with the short box and 8 ft decks just stay within the law, seems easy. you guys bitch and complain when the law pulls you over and gives you a warning, he is only telling you how to conform and he's not taking your money. seems like a good guy doing his job and cutting you some slack. you may be sued by someone banging their head on a corner of your deck, and i'm sure they will want a whole lot more of your hard earned cash.

Thats kinda the idea of this thread. This guy is letting everyone know what the law is. Funny how a dealer will sell you a deck for 2500 but fail to tell you the laws that go with it.

Its no different than when I bought my truck. Pay 50,000 for a brand new truck and then 35 km away from the dealership I get a ticket for no mud flaps. I didn't know about this. Why wouldn't the truck come with them? Why wouldn't they up sell me the parts? Hell, they took an hour of my time just to show me how the blonde star works. It sure would have been nice if there was a letter or note on the door telling me about this stupid law. The price of the ticket would have paid for the flaps in the first place.

Top Bottom