Sled decks on short box trucks in bc. Golden in particular

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the cops should be more worried about theft and vandalism and leave the sledders alone:nono:. I'm sure they don't have any drug problems in Golden.:lie:
Golden has some awsome sledding but if they keep this up everyone will truck on by and go to revy. Cops:PDT_gun: may consider they are reps for the town so a couple inches on a deck, turn the other way and maybe your donut shop won't have to close down. :twocents:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What type of truck was this deck on? Simple solution and one i'm going to do is just get a red tail light for a mountain bike and stick it on the furthest back point on the track, they are battery powered and run for a really long time, just rig it up with a bungee and your good to go, just remember to shut it off or remove it when you get to your destination.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
What type of truck was this deck on? Simple solution and one i'm going to do is just get a red tail light for a mountain bike and stick it on the furthest back point on the track, they are battery powered and run for a really long time, just rig it up with a bungee and your good to go, just remember to shut it off or remove it when you get to your destination.

Good solution, no point bitchin cause they will get you and that light cant cost more than 10 bucks. Thanks for the great idea.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where to buy a cheap battery powered red LED light to strap on the sled while travelling? And is a red flag tied on OK for daytime?

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crappy tire $8.99. looks lie you could clamp right to rear bumper.

Just start your sleds before you hit town and use your tail light as a clearance
light.....LOL. make sure you don't have your high beams on. Just a thought:d

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where to buy a cheap battery powered red LED light to strap on the sled while travelling? And is a red flag tied on OK for daytime?

I have one that the whole light assm is a big red reflector and has red leds that can flash in different patterns for night travel, one guy said that you need a reflector and light for night time so i should be good to go. For the guys that know, does this light and reflector/flag apply to the sled hanging off the end of a trailer as well or are just concerned about decks? I know my 154 hangs off my buddies two place about 2 feet.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the cops should be more worried about theft and vandalism and leave the sledders alone:nono:. I'm sure they don't have any drug problems in Golden.:lie:
Golden has some awsome sledding but if they keep this up everyone will truck on by and go to revy. Cops:PDT_gun: may consider they are reps for the town so a couple inches on a deck, turn the other way and maybe your donut shop won't have to close down. :twocents:

So if they look away for our couple of inches, I'm sure there is some dopehead saying "can't they just turn the other cheek, its just a couple of doobies." This is how most problems start in the first place.

They probably have been looking away and letting things slide a little, which is why they are now being forced to enforce. With the huge increase in sledders over the past years, things they may have been letting slide (or that have taken a backseat) now have been taken wayyyy too far and are now just blatantly stupid. If you can't see at least 20 infractions by sledders when you are driving out that way, you aren't looking hard enough or you are "that guy".

No matter where we go we see trucks too small hauling way too many sleds or trailers to big, sleds on decks not properly tied down, no functioning lights on decks, on and on and on. This is basic traffic safety stuff. If it was a big rig they wouldn't pass inspection. Guys with improperly aimed headlights shining right into oncoming traffic eyeballs.....ring a bell? All it takes is for one guy with a deck and sled to blind the head cop for Golden with his low beams and sledders are marked men.

Some sledders have figured it out, but way too many others haven't. As sledders we need to be twice as nice to the businesses we patronize, because for every 1 of us that is polite, there have been 2 that were rude @$$holes. A few years back a survey was done on sledders - We were portrayed by the general public as a beer drinking male between the ages of 25-34 riding our sleds from bar to bar. nice huh? How many of us fit into this box?
We are losing favour with the general population and we won't have any public support unless we force the public to change their paradigm about us. Only way that's going to happen is if sledders change their attitudes and how they act when in places like Golden.

Hell, we just had a thread on here not that long ago about some sledders in a restaurant acting like total jackoff's. These are the guys representing YOUR sport. Think you're going to have a sport left to enjoy for very long with them acting as your ambassador? Too many arrogant sledders with attitude. We are all painted with the same brush.

Threatening the cops that we will "drive right by and onto Revy" has never worked. Why would they give a sh!t? They would rather sledders just keep on trucking instead of having someone give them attitude for pulling them over in a snowstorm with two sleds on a 1/2 ton pulling a two-place with 3 sleds loaded sideways....."like, how dare he pull me over"....:rolleyes:

The cops already gave sledders an inch of rope...and we took 3 feet and made a noose.

There is definitely a message being sent - come abiding the law or beware the consequences.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't some of that red and white reflective tape that you see on trailers wrapped on your sleds rear bumper do? Plus then if your tail light dies during a night ride, your bud won't drive into you.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't the cops in this province have anything better to do than drive around with tape measures and measure peoples vehicles like come on if it has proper lights and is strapped down good enough what are they worrying about

It isn't just the cops in BC, my brother and several others were hauled into the Hinton scales on their way back to AB and DOT checked them, bro was good, but some of the others not so lucky. Like someone else said, just play by the rules and quit whining.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gm3d sounds like a cop. The distance is to make it safe incase u driving to close to the other vehical carring a load. The cop needs to find things that are a little more important than that,than tagging someone for a simple thing like that.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if they look away for our couple of inches, I'm sure there is some dopehead saying "can't they just turn the other cheek, its just a couple of doobies." This is how most problems start in the first place.

They probably have been looking away and letting things slide a little, which is why they are now being forced to enforce. With the huge increase in sledders over the past years, things they may have been letting slide (or that have taken a backseat) now have been taken wayyyy too far and are now just blatantly stupid. If you can't see at least 20 infractions by sledders when you are driving out that way, you aren't looking hard enough or you are "that guy".

No matter where we go we see trucks too small hauling way too many sleds or trailers to big, sleds on decks not properly tied down, no functioning lights on decks, on and on and on. This is basic traffic safety stuff. If it was a big rig they wouldn't pass inspection. Guys with improperly aimed headlights shining right into oncoming traffic eyeballs.....ring a bell? All it takes is for one guy with a deck and sled to blind the head cop for Golden with his low beams and sledders are marked men.

Some sledders have figured it out, but way too many others haven't. As sledders we need to be twice as nice to the businesses we patronize, because for every 1 of us that is polite, there have been 2 that were rude @$$holes. A few years back a survey was done on sledders - We were portrayed by the general public as a beer drinking male between the ages of 25-34 riding our sleds from bar to bar. nice huh? How many of us fit into this box?
We are losing favour with the general population and we won't have any public support unless we force the public to change their paradigm about us. Only way that's going to happen is if sledders change their attitudes and how they act when in places like Golden.

Hell, we just had a thread on here not that long ago about some sledders in a restaurant acting like total jackoff's. These are the guys representing YOUR sport. Think you're going to have a sport left to enjoy for very long with them acting as your ambassador? Too many arrogant sledders with attitude. We are all painted with the same brush.

Threatening the cops that we will "drive right by and onto Revy" has never worked. Why would they give a sh!t? They would rather sledders just keep on trucking instead of having someone give them attitude for pulling them over in a snowstorm with two sleds on a 1/2 ton pulling a two-place with 3 sleds loaded sideways....."like, how dare he pull me over"....:rolleyes:

The cops already gave sledders an inch of rope...and we took 3 feet and made a noose.

There is definitely a message being sent - come abiding the law or beware the consequences.

This thread was about being over length by a few inches not 1/2 ton's being
over weight(which I agree is unsafe)or other major infractions.
My point is sledders offer golden a lot of winter buisness so If all of bc
towns ban together than fine but to have 1 small town piss every one off
then they can kiss my money goodbye. maybe you can print your response
and keep it in your truck for the next time you get pulled over and say
"but look, I stuck up for you guys" and see how far that gets you.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
the rules are the rules. golden is notorious for checks, be glad you didnt get pulled in at the scales for a check. they will always find something wrong there. we have even bean weighed in golden so dont feel bad. all these people that say they will drive right on by golden. good luck with that cause i know revy cops arent any more leanient.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread was about being over length by a few inches not 1/2 ton's being
over weight(which I agree is unsafe)or other major infractions.
My point is sledders offer golden a lot of winter buisness so If all of bc
towns ban together than fine but to have 1 small town piss every one off
then they can kiss my money goodbye. maybe you can print your response
and keep it in your truck for the next time you get pulled over and say
"but look, I stuck up for you guys" and see how far that gets you.

LOL - not sticking up for the cops. My point was the law is the law and how you are perceived might determine how much "interpretation" the cop shows you when he is interpreting it. If the regulation is 4' from the truck, then its 4'. If a 1/2 ton is 1400 lbs payload then it's 1400 lbs. Weight, length, height, speed, blah blah blah. If you're not legal, you're not legal, no matter what the parameter. Period. There is no "somewhat legal". If he has the impression that sledders are good people and legitimately didn't know the regs, then he may give you a break. If his impression is that sledders are all d!ckweeds then he might just hand you the max fine. Cops are human too and their emotions influence their actions. So ask yourself how you'd like him to be feeling towards sledders (in general) the next time he pulls you over and is walking towards your drivers window. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I'd rather him not pull me over at all, no matter what his mood is. Sitting on the side of the road means I'm not riding my sled.

Or next time you're pulled over for speeding or any other minor traffic violation, you can tell the cop that your taxes pay his salary and based on that, you think he should let you go and get back to his "donut shop" before his coffee gets cold. See how far that gets you.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't the cops in this province have anything better to do than drive around with tape measures and measure peoples vehicles like come on if it has proper lights and is strapped down good enough what are they worrying about

nope cops have nothing better to do is right i was pulled over for my deck width not length width in gp i have a 8X8 jet craft sled deck on a 1 ton dually ( my sides do not collapse in ) my dially measures 7'91/4 at widest point deck has led lighting ( good to see) he pulles out his tape measurer and writes me a ticket for over width $375 bones ( i am wider than my truck ) i called DOT went to scales in gp met him there got ticket reversed cause you are allowed 8'6" in alberta so im gonna get her widened just to tick that cop off ( he was county officer )

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL - not sticking up for the cops. My point was the law is the law and how you are perceived might determine how much "interpretation" the cop shows you when he is interpreting it. If the regulation is 4' from the truck, then its 4'. If a 1/2 ton is 1400 lbs payload then it's 1400 lbs. Weight, length, height, speed, blah blah blah. If you're not legal, you're not legal, no matter what the parameter. Period. There is no "somewhat legal". If he has the impression that sledders are good people and legitimately didn't know the regs, then he may give you a break. If his impression is that sledders are all d!ckweeds then he might just hand you the max fine. Cops are human too and their emotions influence their actions. So ask yourself how you'd like him to be feeling towards sledders (in general) the next time he pulls you over and is walking towards your drivers window. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I'd rather him not pull me over at all, no matter what his mood is. Sitting on the side of the road means I'm not riding my sled.

Or next time you're pulled over for speeding or any other minor traffic violation, you can tell the cop that your taxes pay his salary and based on that, you think he should let you go and get back to his "donut shop" before his coffee gets cold. See how far that gets you.
I'd even offer to buy him a donut(LOL). I run a legal truck and enclosed trailer,
I just hate cops.....LOL....actually no, just the ones that give me tickets.
I do agree with modman(can't believe i wrote that) run a legal truck and
you got nothing to worry about.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yet another post about someone having a truck that is not legal and threats to not spend money in the town if they can't do what they want.

So you were doing 80 in a 60 zone, tinted windows, lifted truck, sleds too long..... hmmm i wonder why you got pulled over:rolleyes:

I can't understand why guys buy short boxes when they know they are going to use the truck to haul sleds.... or use the truck for anything other than getting groceries:d

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The distance a object sticks out is a general law,not just for sleds,if your over length and not marked I guess the guy packing a piece steel or pole stickin out not marked isOK to.The law was made to make it safe fallowing,just happens your decks and sleds fall in that catagory,laws the law.

Top Bottom