Sled Decks and LED Bars

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On our Recent trip to Mcbride, we were pulled over by the local authorities and was givin a warning for not having additional marker lights on the sleds on the deck and not have a cover on my LED bar. I was also told that once sledding season is in full swing they will have 0 tolerance for these violations. So.... anything over 3.28 feet passed you tail lights needs to be marked with an additional red marking light. And as soon as your in town, your LED bar must be covered. The cop pointed to his truck, he had 4 PIAA lights with the metal covers on, like those. He said these 2 violations could have resulted in $400 in fines!! just thought I would give everyone the heads up.

Cheers.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Law was always there, just not enforced. They will be making a PILE of money this year if they are deciding to enforce it.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I knew about the sleds hanging off the back of the deck, but didn't know about the LED cover.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes absolutely. I got nailed once like 20 years ago for that one (for off road lights).

Here is the over length info.

Overhanging load 16(1) During nighttime, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a lit red lamp on the back of the load.(2) During daytime, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a red or orange flag that is not less than 300 millimetres square on the back of the load.

Here is the placement of driving lights info. Anything that does not comply with the positioning stated is considered an off road light only and must have cover in place while on highways or road ways period. This is what I remember being told.
So from what I am rereading in your post the RCMP member was incorrect.
And as soon as your in town, your LED bar must be covered

Search light 41 A person shall not drive or own a motor vehicle that has a lamp that is commonly known as a search light.Auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps 42(1) In this section, Section 43 AR 122/2009 VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION 24 (a) “auxiliary driving lamp” means a SAE Standard J581 type Y lamp; (b) “fog lamp” means a SAE Standard J583 type F lamp.(2) If a motor vehicle has auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps,they must be mounted on the front of the motor vehicle and the centres of the auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps must be lower than the centres of the headlamps.(3) Two auxiliary driving lamps may be mounted, one on each side of the vertical centre line.(4) Two fog lamps may be mounted, one on each side of the vertical centre line.(5) Auxiliary driving lamps on a motor vehicle must be used only at the same time the high beams on the headlamps are used.(6) Fog lamps on a motor vehicle must be used only at the sametime the low beams on the headlamps are used.(7) Despite subsection (6), fog lamps may be used without headlamps if the weather and road conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.(8) A person shall not drive or operate or own a motor vehicle that has a total of more than 2 auxiliary driving lamps and 2 fog lamps.(9) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle with both auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps lit at the same time.(10) An auxiliary driving lamp or fog lamp on an unloaded motor vehicle must be adjusted and aimed so that none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of centre of the vehicle projects, at a distance of 8 metres ahead, higher than 100 millimetres below the centre of the lamp from which the light isprojected.(11) Fog lamps on a motor vehicle may only emit amber or white light.

TRAFFIC SAFETY ACTVEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

I asked a cop a question about clear licene plate covers one time. He told me it was legal and he didn't have any problem with a clear cover in place as long as it doesn't obscure the plate. I recently had to surrender my clear cover on the spot or face a fine. I was told and later looked it up that plates have raised lettering so they can still be visible when dirty. Installing a clear cover makes it impossible to read if dirty. The Moral of the story is trust no one, do your research and know the laws.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A person shall not drive or operate or own a motor vehicle that has a total of more than 2 auxiliary driving lamps and 2 fog lamps.

If a cop wanted to pull a power trip on you I'll bet that they could consider an LED bar as multiple lights.....
Are these light bars DOT approved??? Do they say for off road use only???

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think it was just this particular cops opinion with the LED bar. He also said that he would rather us not hit a moose on the highway, but when your in town, put a cover on. I have no idea if these LED bars are DOT approved!!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it was just this particular cops opinion with the LED bar. He also said that he would rather us not hit a moose on the highway, but when your in town, put a cover on. I have no idea if these LED bars are DOT approved!!
They're not. If he really wanted to enforce it they should be covered any time they are on a public roadway as they are for offroad use only.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a cool cop, just like the one I had that said a clear plate cover was OK. I mean that sincerely.
But again know the law because the next cop might not be so cool as this one was as I found out with my plate cover.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're not. If he really wanted to enforce it they should be covered any time they are on a public roadway as they are for offroad use only.

That's what I was thinking. Thx for that.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'm definitely going to measure again when I get it on the deck Thursday. I can't remember exactly how far it hangs over but I think its close. Glad I didn't buy a 174, the wife would loose it if I told her I needed a 24ft heated enclosed trailer to be legal.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why the discrepancy between 1m overhang in the OP and 1.5m in the quoted regs? Which number is correct?

BillyYork

Reaction score
What about the lights at the very back of the deck. Most have these 3 red lights at the back, and then the sleds hang past that 2 ft or so. Would this be illegal???

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
That's Alberta Timmay. Not sure if BC is quite the same. Been a while...

• Thanks
Reactions: zal

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I am close. 7 ft deck with 2 ft extension Sleds hang off the extension 1 ft But I do have lights I put on there anyway. I don't want the hassle. And I do have a cover for my light bar but it's never on.

The easiest is getting a tow light set up. Like you would use to tow a car on a dolly. Crappy tire sells them. Then you have rear brake lights and signals on the back of the sleds. Then plug into your trailer plug.

Top Bottom