sled deck

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bull there is no way a 150 can have a payload of 3100 lbs have a 250 camper special put steel deck and 2 long track sleds gas and gear and it sits on the overload springs my payload is 2800 with gas engine payload will be lower if you have a diesel because of its weight i would take it to the scales before buying it it could be a problem going into B RING C ASH

willhickey

Reaction score
I have to be honest, I think that if you are doing a sled deck you also have to consider the ability for the truck to perform. I would be concerned for the sway when rolling through the mountains. I can only speek for myself however it seems to be that when I am going to the mountains, i worked all day, it is midnight, snowing, slippery, dirty headlights, and we are usually pushing the speed limit pretty good. I have to say that when I have my deck on I would want something that can easily handle the weight and still has great performance when in the mountains. I would say that if you want the new f150s go for it but I would get a small trailer instead. I would also say that you have to consider how many miles a year you run your deck. I belive that to many people run these big trucks but are never able to make them work the way that they were designed to. If you don't do that much running then buy a trailer and spend the extra 10k on a new sled. just my :twocents:

Jake

Reaction score
They tried to talk me into a 3/4 ton. I need a heavy truck not even 1% of the time. But when I need to haul my sleds the truck is rated for it and does the job.

tburg

Reaction score
i have a two place tailer, but it would be nice not to have poopsicles when i get to the mountains. a deck is cheaper than an enclosed trailer. willhickey you red my mind save money on the truck so i can buy more toys sweet!!!

meadowmuffen

Reaction score
I have 350 crew cab diesel 4X4 & with 2 sleds,gear,(no-jerry cans) & 1 buddie, I am on the bubble for GVW.--remember to watch your tire rating,as it is possible to be overweight empty with cheap tires. When it matters is "if" you get in an accident then the Sh-- hits the fan with your insurance!

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
The F150 will have besicaly the same power as the F250 5.4L. I drive an 08 F250 Super Cab Long box 5.4L with 3.73, and camper package (stiffer spring rates all around). With a steel deck and two sleds on, it has lots of power to maintain highway speeds. If it was a shortbox, I would be overweight on my rear axle. As it is, it does not sit down at all at the rear and is approx 800lbs below my gross rear axle weight rating. Also, the rear stabalizer bar that comes with the camper package really helps to the truck flat with all that weight up high. 20mpg empty hwy, 16-17mpg two sleds hwy.

Top Bottom