Sled Deck Repairs Needed

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey All,

Went to move the deck from the old truck to the new and found some broken welds and cracked frame pieces, looking to get it repaired.

It is aluminum and I'm not sure whether it just needs ground out and re-welded or to be plated as well.

Prefer to get it done in Edmonton area.

Let me know if you have time before April, I have a guy that can do it in April.

IMG-20140302-00114.jpg Strathcona County-20140302-00117.jpg Strathcona County-20140302-00116.jpg

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Custom metal works(millwoods area).... Hugh @ 780 485 8998 ....... That would be a no problem for him...

Not exactly local for me, but I'll keep that in mind :) Thanks Ric.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tyler did you check with R&M in Stony Plain. They are north of the hwy maintenance deptartment yard northwest side of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Tyler did you check with R&M in Stony Plain. They are north of the hwy maintenance deptartment yard northwest side of town.

I've only spoken with Tayco's custom welding so far, I will look them up though Marty.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They were next to the mini storage but I can't find them in the yellowpages. Maybe their not around anymore.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my Marathon in to Marathon to get some work done on the legs. They were quick and did great work. Backed my truck into the yard, they forklifted the deck off truck into the shop and got to work.

I know its out of your way, but might be worth it

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I took my Marathon in to Marathon to get some work done on the legs. They were quick and did great work. Backed my truck into the yard, they forklifted the deck off truck into the shop and got to work.

I know its out of your way, but might be worth it

I called them already, they told me May before they would even have time to look at it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember if that deck is built of 6061-T6 aluminum the area around the weld will only be about 1/4 the strength of the parent material due to the heat from welding removing the temper in the aluminum. So I would add a full length brace along the piece that broke in the third picture.

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Just remember if that deck is built of 6061-T6 aluminum the area around the weld will only be about 1/4 the strength of the parent material due to the heat from welding removing the temper in the steel. So I would add a full length brace along the piece that broke in the third picture.

I'll have it braced the best we can there for sure yes!

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try W-Five welding and Fabrication in Spruce Grove, Anthony is the owner .

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Finally got the deck all fixed up.

Took it to Neilsleder in Leduc and he did a great job on welding it all up and replacing aluminum where needed.

Leduc-20140509-00184.jpg
Leduc-20140509-00185.jpg

Spent Saturday this past weekend putting new plywood on it and adding "tie down holes" into the sides.

Parkland County-20140510-00188.jpg
Parkland County-20140510-00187.jpg
Parkland County-20140510-00186.jpg

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Looks good tyler.... Legally you need 3 red center clearance lights as the deck is 8 feet wide, i'm quite sure? ...... I put 3 on one of my older decks and they were the little round led lites... Got them from marathon. They are flush and quite bright, and will fit on the extension bar....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good tyler.... Legally you need 3 red center clearance lights as the deck is 8 feet wide, i'm quite sure? ...... I put 3 on one of my older decks and they were the little round led lites... Got them from marathon. They are flush and quite bright, and will fit on the extension bar....

never have had, and its a marathon deck? you would think that if it was required by law they would be there.

I think you need them if you are OVER 8' wide, this one is bang on 8' wide.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I have about the same vintage marathon that needs similar repair this summer.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good. I have about the same vintage marathon that needs similar repair this summer.

Neil does great work if you're willing to bring it to Leduc. He had it done in about 4 days and at a very reasonable cost. He put about $180 worth of new aluminum into it, instead of just brazing up where it was cracked.

Plywood is hopefully going to get painted this weekend with "gator guard"

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
never have had, and its a marathon deck? you would think that if it was required by law they would be there.

I think you need them if you are OVER 8' wide, this one is bang on 8' wide.

Nope 6.6 wide you need thats why ford Raptors come from the factory with them...that why i ordered my truck with cab lights

Clearance lamps
40(1) A motor vehicle that is 2.05 metres or more wide, including its load, must have 2 amber clearance lamps on the front.
(2) A motor vehicle that is 2.05 metres or more wide, including its load, must have 2 red clearance lamps on the rear.

Top Bottom