Sled deck Plywood

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What type of plywood do most guys use when replacing it on there sled decks? I am wanting to replace it on a deck I just bought. Not sure if I should use pressure treated of just normal plywood. Doesn't look like thats what was on there but would like some opinions.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used pressure treated 3 years ago, then tremcladded the top side with black.

Decking last longer if you use superglides as well.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are in Edmonton anytime soon, I would highly recommend Alpine forest products. They are a wholesale plywood supplier that do cash deals. I bought a few sheets of top grade fir form plywood for mine, with no voids for 27$ a sheet. It's stupid cheap. They are for forming, which I know is better than PT spruce plywood.

PT is ideal for sub grade applications, constant mousture.. etc. and like I mentioned it's out of spruce, so it's soft and warpy and will shred and fall apart in no time. Fir ply is high in decay resistance, stable, and strong. This plywood has a coating on it to to prevent moisture penetration.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will definately be putting superglides on it. Won't be in edmonton anytime soon, but I am sure i could find some fir around town.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find a good quality G1S fir ply, just make sure it was stored properly (flat, on 3 blocks, and not soaking wet)
Chamfer the edges, countersink the screw holes to prevent splinters/blisters and your good to go.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some of these dudes go all out! my truck is garage kept, not sure if that makes a difference but I just replaced mine after 3 yrs, only reason was one sheet started warping in the back corner, and I didnt want to catch a carbide on it coming up the ramp. The wood itself was in otherwise great shape. I didnt use enough screws to hold it down which is why the corners started curling a little (my fault not the wood). I replaced it with the same stuff - 5/8" thick, standard ply from Home Desperate. I give it a liberal coating of dark stain every pre-season.

cooper

Reaction score
I used marine grade fir plywood. It lasts for years but is very pricey.

x2 do it once and be done with it mine lasted 10years probably would have made it 10 more but the horses got to it this summer.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I used marine grade fir plywood. It lasts for years but is very pricey.

x2 do it once and be done with it mine lasted 10years probably would have made it 10 more but the horses got to it this summer.

I was going to recommend this. Marine grade has special glue for all the water it is in. They use it for the floor of boats. The guy who made my deck is an aluminum boat builder and always put that stuff on the the bottom to walk on.

It is great and a little pricey but you shouldn't have to replace it.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fir plywood has a resorcinol glue, so it will stand up to years of weathering.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poplar has a LOW decay resistance.
It is a product mainly used as an indoor application. (millwork carcasses, paintable panels... etc.) I am a cabinetmaker by trade, so I know the woods and their properties..

What about white popular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poplar has a LOW decay resistance.
It is a product mainly used as an indoor application. (millwork carcasses, paintable panels... etc.) I am a cabinetmaker by trade, so I know the woods and their properties..

Hmmm.. Good to know. Dads 2 place trailer is needing a new deck, some people recommended white popular and said it was the strongest?? You'd recommend the marine stuff?

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. Good to know. Dads 2 place trailer is needing a new deck, some people recommended white popular and said it was the strongest?? You'd recommend the marine stuff?

Get the old timer to get a enclosed. Lol

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some of these dudes go all out! my truck is garage kept, not sure if that makes a difference but I just replaced mine after 3 yrs, only reason was one sheet started warping in the back corner, and I didnt want to catch a carbide on it coming up the ramp. The wood itself was in otherwise great shape. I didnt use enough screws to hold it down which is why the corners started curling a little (my fault not the wood). I replaced it with the same stuff - 5/8" thick, standard ply from Home Desperate. I give it a liberal coating of dark stain every pre-season.

why do you use carbides in the mountains?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would get the fir GIS, like I posted earlier. The marine is expensive and hard to find. Last time I looked at fir, it was the same price as spruce anyways.

I would bet marine is not a stocked item, and at least $120 a sheet.. I'm guessing. i couldn't find it in Edmonton when I was looking. .

Is your deck always under water?..no.., or does it get wet but dry after?....Exactly.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do you use carbides in the mountains?

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The proper wood and superglides will go along way to protect your deck like others have said. We have our glides in all 6 positions and besides the weather wear our deck looks new even though it is 4 years old.

Jan

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Gonna phone around town and look for some fir. I am sure someone has it. I only need 3 sheets anyways. We have a router at work that I can use for the edges.

Top Bottom