Sled deck Plywood

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have never heard of marine plywood before, and thinking that my sled trailer floor will be needing to be replaced after this season.
Does it only come in one thickness, or is there a choice?

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I would use G1S fit plywood myself. The glues used in it are made to withstand the weather. If your gonna stain it, cut all pieces to fit first then stain. Make sure you cover all 6 sides. Top, bottom and all 4 edges. Then it is sealed properly.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you want to spend more money on plywood, they do make concrete form plywood... it is warp resistant, more layers, waterproof glue like it all is. And you used to be able to get a coating on one side...that did not stand up to well. But maybe they make better stuff now.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I must just be cheap, I just grab the normal on sale stuff from home depot, or totem, or where ever is having a sale. Grab some deck sealer, paint it, put it on, and be done. It will easily last 3 to 4 years. $75 and a couple hours every 3 to 4 years is good enough for me.

Also I would say storing it out of direct sunlight over the summer has a bigger effect on how long it lasts then the snow, water and mud in the winter.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 3/4 inch marine grade on my open trailer. It sits outside all year long. I paint it every 2 years or so. Other than ski damage it holds up treally well. I don't run carbide on my skis, or use Superglides. I don't remember what I paid for the plywood. I put it on about 6 years ago. I have even had it down in the summer heat of Arizona, loaded with 2 bikes.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used that roll on bed liner stuff that you can get at Canaiian Tire on there deck? Looking at putting something like that on the new wood before I put the superglides on.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have never heard of marine plywood before, and thinking that my sled trailer floor will be needing to be replaced after this season.
Does it only come in one thickness, or is there a choice?

It is the best hands down. I don't want to get into a pissing match but if one hasn't used marine grade plywood, quite simply they don't know how good it is.

I don't know what thickness it comes in but one has to be concerned with weight. Obviously the 3/4" is 50% heavier than the 1/2" but that is only for 2 sheets for a full length box deck of 8'.

My unit can handle the extra weight and if I were replacing the plywood I would definitely go with the thicker material (like the 3/4"). The amount of flexing on the logging roads where we ride in the spring and fall is amazing.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your unit!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Doug, I'll have to see what my trailer has in it now, and I'm only thinking it has 1/2"?
But upgrading to 3/4 would make a world of difference, and more than likely never have to do it again.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Your unit!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Doug, I'll have to see what my trailer has in it now, and I'm only thinking it has 1/2"?
But upgrading to 3/4 would make a world of difference, and more than likely never have to do it again.

My deck on my truck is what I'm talking about. You are correct with your trailer. You would never have to replace it but it would be much less flexible and probably better in the long run.

One thing to remember is that the carbides or the mild still runners aren't good on the exterior coating of the Marine plywood. They aren't much good on anything they run on..........

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must have been using Sapele, it is way heavy ..and tends to cost more than the other grades. One good thing is you can get marine grade in 5x12 sheets.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My deck on my truck is what I'm talking about. You are correct with your trailer. You would never have to replace it but it would be much less flexible and probably better in the long run.

One thing to remember is that the carbides or the mild still runners aren't good on the exterior coating of the Marine plywood. They aren't much good on anything they run on..........

I have found the plywood in my trailer to be quite durable in the past 5 years. No problems with loading 4 or 5 sleds at once, and all with carbides.

I have found this summer, as a storage garage for my riding mower, that the floor is getting soft. That is why I'm thinking of replacing it next summer.
For a bare bones stock 28' trailer I have no other complaints other than a heater. LOL

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Full Lotus decks use a 3/4" composite decking which is by far the best I have seen. Might be worth finding out there they get it.

Full Lotus Metals Extreme Sled Deck - industry leader in quality and durability

That is a nice looking deck! Love the white powder coat, and the tubular design. That composite deck looks great! Anyone know where to get that stuff?

I was going to replace the wood as well on my deck but the more I look at it, I could probibly get away with just restaining it. Any recommendations on stain? Looking for a black finish.

Thanks

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used that roll on bed liner stuff that you can get at Canaiian Tire on there deck? Looking at putting something like that on the new wood before I put the superglides on.

Yeah my buddy used the roll on stuff on the floor of his enclosed and it works good. I used the spray can bed liner on my utility trailer before I put my super glides down and it works great. My trailer deck is 2"x6"s not plywood but I'm every happy with the trailer.

Top Bottom