Sled Deck installation

Mikey

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am looking to buy a used aluminum sled deck from somebody that inherited one. I have a GMC long box 2500HD truck, does anybody have any advise for mounting it into the truck. Are turnbuckles and chain to the box hooks going to be strong enough, I was told that those box hooks were rated for 900lbs. However when I called GMC they were stumped by the question, and couldn't verify the specs anywhere for hook rating. Also because of the tubular frame I'm not sure how one could mount it to the box or the frame of the truck. Any advise would help, thanks in advance!

poorman

Reaction score
Been using turnbuckles and the tiedowns in the box.Have had mine like that for 4 years with no issues.Just make sure you are always checking them because they like to come loose or better yet double nut them so they dont. I have had the decks mounted in my last two GMC 2500's and the only complaint I have had is it tends to beat the crap out of the box where the deck sits.I am sure a rubber bed mat or a spray in boxliner would protect that.

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Sled Decks

I've been loading on my deck for 3 years to a 2500 Chev HD.
I replaced the chains and turnbuckles with heavier ones (I felt mine were too light) and have had no problems at all.

Here is a photo loaded:

Remember too be on level ground when loading or this is what can happen...
I wasn't impressed with myself:

Another View:

poorman

Reaction score
Oh I feel your pain from those pics sledbunnyracing. I have an even more embarasing deck story.I had just bought a new 660 Grizzly and went to pick it up from the dealer,went to load it and just as the front tires hit the top of the deck the ramp broke sending my new quad flying about 10 feet and landing upside down totally bending the bars,racks and scratching the crap out of the plastic. I ejected and got tossed about ten feet in the other direction and was knocked out cold with a wicked concussion. I now always load on the deck with a skid lid on just in case.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Mikey.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
One Up Time

I got lucky, the sled didn't fall off, but my riding partner, rather than helping said...Wait I got my camera. As you can see, his daughter liked it too.
Two years ago at Christmas I was loading my sled (with no brain bucket) and decided to show off, did a bit of a jump (embarassingly small) and didn't land it. Ended up in Emerg for the afternoon to get "two little stitches". It's taken me a while to live that one down.
I will have to side with you though, landing a new quad on the ground lke that must have nearly brought you to tears...oh thats right, you didnt know, you were knocked out. :)

Mikey

Reaction score
LMAO.... Those were some pics. Thanks for all the advise about the deck. I feel for ya with loading machines. I have had a two place sled trailer for years now and have had plenty of funny moments...... well.......... funny after. Happy riding!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mikey use gravity. No dont. I also picked up a deck a couple of weeks ago. I am going with the turnbuckles inside the box. Block it in front of supports so it cant slide forward and hit you back window. Good luck

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Re: deck

Hi all!! Does anyone use the factory brackets inside the box on a '04 f350 to turnbucle the deck to?? The old Dodge dually had floor mounted brackets, but the ford is more on the sides of the box..... are they strong enough, or should i be bolting through the frame??

Mikey

Reaction score
Mikey use gravity. No dont. I also picked up a deck a couple of weeks ago. I am going with the turnbuckles inside the box. Block it in front of supports so it cant slide forward and hit you back window. Good luck

Good call on the blocking infront of the supports, back windows are very useful. I have also heard from some guy's that say the deck has scratched the box surface up, would putting a small piece of treated 1/2" plywood under them solve that problem or will it scratch too. Any thought's

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
1/2" Or 3/4" Plywood Underneath Will Help..... Best If You Have A Box Sprayed Liner.... Won't Scratch Then....

Attachments

• 45453m0_20.jpg
    45453m0_20.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 299

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been using a deck for the past 3 years and they are right it will scratch the box if you do not put anything down, not really scratches but rub marks thru the paint from the deck moving around. I put a 4x6 pce of plywood down first and fastened it with turnbuckles to the side of the box since day one. Remember not to overtighten them, and check each time you use it as they will loosen off. I have bought a new truck this year and had a spray in liner done so we will see if it holds up.

Rob

Mikey

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advise, what size of turnbuckles 3/8" or 1/2" or does it really matter. I always say to go for over kill, but is there enough room for the larger size.

Mikey

Reaction score
I now have the deck on the truck but it got dark before I could finish hooking it up. Still have one more question, there is a black and a white wire going to the deck for clearnce lights. My original plan was to pop the tail light off and tap into the ground and marker wires before they go into the bulb, It was easy to get too. I found what I thought were the ground and marker lights (according to my test light), tap into them and tried hooking them up to the deck. When I did, the tail light went out and still no lights on the deck. Didn't feal like screwing with it in the dark so back at it in the morning. Does anybody know if the rear left marker light is on it's own fuse and where it is, didn't see anything about marker lights in the fuse panel on the dash? Any suggestion? All the other lights work even the right rear marker light, and the bulb looks good, did I blow a fuse or fry a wire?

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
park lites

but, you're so close.... almost there!!!

the park lites on most vehicles are on thier own fuse, however, it is usually a small amperage(it would be safest to try and spice into a trailer wiring harness, that has its own fuse - most newer trucks have the seperate trailer harness and fuses - this would prevent your park lites from blowing if caused by the deck wiring, and totally loosing park lites). try the next higher numbered fuse, and if that blows, you probably have a short to ground on your deck somewhere... check each lite and check connections and grounds... good luck
on my deck on my old truck I ran a 2 wire harness down between the truck cab and box and tapped into the harness running along the frame of the truck. I spliced in a 2 wire trailer connector, so i can unplug it in the spring, when I take the deck off.

Mikey

Reaction score
Thanks for all you help once again, the sun is shining and it's nice and warm out today so I will tackle this once again. Hopefully with more luck this time. Another thing I forgot to mention was that the switch on the deck for the lights inside the box was not working. I was unable to move the switch and it definately will need replacing, I wonder if that might not be part or all of the problem as well.

Mikey

Reaction score
OK Problem fixed, clear head this morning........ spotted the problem right away. Just came home from sledding in the dark........... they were lit up like a christmas tree. Thanks for everyone's help!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most likely to late but what the heck,mine is mounted in the back of a f-350 and same thing two years and no problems.When I first got mine I tied it in with ratchet straps that I used for tying down the quad,you just might want to avoid hitting the ditch but it worked for one trip!LOL!I know not to smart!
catmando:yikes:

Mikey

Reaction score
Just got back and put on 1200km with the new deck mounted and two sleds on board; everything worked the way it was suppose too, and had a great trip to fernie this weekend!

Top Bottom