Sled deck build

drew17

Reaction score
So I'm gonna build a sled deck! Been thinking about it for years and it's finally time. Not because I can't afford one but just because I want to able to design it the way I think will work best for me. Now the only question is steel or aluminum maybe you guy can help me decide what material is best. The way I see it aluminum is the go to because it won't rust and its light but steel can be equally light if applied properly. Steel would mean it is fixable just about anywhere due to almost everywhere having someone who can weld steel in the area. But stopping the steel from rusting could be and will be an on going problem.
Let me know what you think or any experience you may have on the subject

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aluminum is so much nicer to work with but that will depend on you. Can you weld it and do a good job?

drew17

Reaction score
I am personally not as proficient at welding aluminum but I have a friend who works for beer and laughs that has more experience welding aluminum then I do so I'm not worried about the welding just wanna get the best bang for my buck. Although both materials are not cheap lol

drew17

Reaction score
I am personally not as proficient at welding aluminum but I have a friend who works for beer and laughs that has more experience welding aluminum then I do so I'm not worried about the welding just wanna get the best bang for my buck. Although both materials are not cheap lol

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aluminum.. You will be definitely lighter, and you can fabricate the parts with a miter saw and aluminum blade.

I designed and built a few, years back. It was overbuilt, but won't crack and fail like some of the shoddier ones out there.

drew17

Reaction score
The question then is what size aluminum 1/8 thick tubing be enough or would I wanna be 3/16 or even 1/4. I'm thinking 3/16 is where I should be. I'll only be running sleds on it so it doesn't have to be built to hold quads or side by sides which I guess may allow me to build it a little lighter then others but don't want it to fail on me either

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built one for my father in law few years back and aluminum is the way to go. I used 2" x 3/16" wall square tube for the main frame. Used Chanel for outside slides and put 1 1/2" by 1/8" round tube for the ski guides on the outside. They are pretty straight forward and easy to build. Think it cost bout 1300$ all said n done for all materials, wiring etc.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
⅛ is plenty.

I used a couple of extra crossmembers with gussets and that thing would support 2 ol' style yammy's down an old super bumpy backroad doing 80 km/h..
For the slideouts I used 1" and got some thin UHMW for making up the gap.. super strong and works unbelievable.

The question then is what size aluminum ⅛ thick tubing be enough or would I wanna be 3/16 or even ¼. I'm thinking 3/16 is where I should be. I'll only be running sleds on it so it doesn't have to be built to hold quads or side by sides which I guess may allow me to build it a little lighter then others but don't want it to fail on me either

Last edited:

drew17

Reaction score
Considering doing a folding ramp similar to xdeck
using a hinge like this perhaps what are your thoughts?

pizalm

Reaction score
Considering doing a folding ramp similar to xdeck
using a hinge like this perhaps what are your thoughts?

I built mine and made a folding ramp, I just used a couple pieces of flat stock and bolts. Cheaper than 70$ apiece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told you need twice as much aluminum to be as strong as steel if that means anything.

I was also considering to build a deck. My idea was to have it sit on the box rails and seal off the box(yes the tailgate will leak dust). Fixed sides just wide enough for two xm's... and a headache rack 1" above roof line. Anyone have one like this?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope. Just properly placed cross bracing and gussets here and there,,

Mine is 15 years old and still holding strong.

Tiny pro-x

Reaction score
796_38006190974_1552_n.jpg
I used 2x2x1\8 sq tube and was a stong and
it only cost me 800 for material as you pay by the lbs and the ramp was two slide togther

Last edited:

Tiny pro-x

Reaction score
When I built I built the deck then put then I put my leg where I wanted them. I built my headache rake to the top of cab on my truck.
I used 1/2 plywood to cover it and ran wire in the tubes for led lights. And had a 3 in flat bar welded around outside and it was stonger than my Marathon deck

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built mine with a crane arm to swing the sleds onto the deck. I used 1/8th wall 2x2 for the main frame.

I have another deck started but no longer have a truck. i also have some full lengths of tube pm me if you need some material

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told you need twice as much aluminum to be as strong as steel if that means anything.

I was also considering to build a deck. My idea was to have it sit on the box rails and seal off the box(yes the tailgate will leak dust). Fixed sides just wide enough for two xm's... and a headache rack 1" above roof line. Anyone have one like this?

In some ways that is true but pound for pound aluminum is stronger then steel. It's all where your braces go. If you build thing to strong it will break it's self you need some flex. I am going to build a deck for this year and going to make it bolt together and have fixed sides to. I have a dually so no need for it to slide when the dually will be wider then the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Will you be happy with the reaction of road salt on the aluminum? I wasn't as it was too much work to keep it looking good.

I ran mine for a year and had it sand blasted and LineX applied. My sides are hinged on bolts instead of sliding sides. You are on your own for the ramp. My deck is 8'6" long and the ramp is one piece and fits under nicely.

Denali881

Reaction score
Will you be happy with the reaction of road salt on the aluminum? I wasn't as it was too much work to keep it looking good.

I ran mine for a year and had it sand blasted and LineX applied. My sides are hinged on bolts instead of sliding sides. You are on your own for the ramp. My deck is 8'6" long and the ramp is one piece and fits under nicely.

I powder coated my deck, 5 years and still pretty much new.

• Thanks
Reactions: GDS
Top Bottom