Sled cover repairs

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I have to find someone in Calgary to fix my sled cover. It has come apart at the seems up at the handle bars. I want to make sure the repairs are done well so as to avoid a repeat so I am looking for someone who has experience with this sort of thing. I called the dealer and got a single recommendation - called the store and they are quoting way too much money. Any references or words of advice would be appreciated.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my experience is that once they start coming apart at the seams it's time for a new one. to be properly repaired it would have to be reinforced with material and that repair would cost the same as a new one in the end. is the cover very old?

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
Lol when I saw the title of the thread I knew this had to be a skidoo cover. I am on my third one. Trailering every weekend just kills those covers. I am thinking I would be better off to buy a enclosed trailer. But back to your question I take mine to get fixed in Beaumont. But I think it's a bit of a drive for you. Lol. Good luck brother.

Gromit

Reaction score
We had our tarps repaired at Kingsland Shoe Repair (they also do clothing alterations) 7706 Elbow Dr SW (403) 255-6800. Our covers tore at the handlebars too and were new so it was worthwhile. They sewed in canvas patches to reinforce the area. I think 1 tarp cost @ $65 and the other @$90 - that was a year ago. Ask for an estimate so you can determine if it is feasible.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cover is 4 years old but i would say only about 15 times in use. The rest of the time my unit was in a trailer.

$90 bucks is much cheaper than my other quote - i will def give them a call.

Thanks.

Big kid 33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also a dry cleaner beside shoppers in kinglands that fixed mine and I have to take it back next week for round 2

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing a person can do for there cover is to take it to the laundrymat and wash it once in awhile. The road salt just kills the material and stitching. Also I found for better life to run a strap over the front of the seat to tighten the tarp so it can't flap in the wind. Trust me this will increase the life of the tarp tenfold.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wash it and get the sewing machine out!! didnt you take home ec in school?!?!? make apron, boxers and then be able to fix your sled tarps!!!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
20/20 Tailoring, ask for Kim 403-640-4422.
#205-9737 Macleod Trail SW
She is the owner, and fixed the seems on my old polaris winter leathers for 20 bucks. I was quoted 60-80 any other place I went to.

Gromit

Reaction score
wash it and get the sewing machine out!! didnt you take home ec in school?!?!? make apron, boxers and then be able to fix your sled tarps!!!

You need a heavy duty upholstery type sewing machine to do this project. I've been sewing for years so I tried the repair with my sewing machine and put a heavy gauge needle in it. The needle broke right away. Then I tried my serger and it didn't have enough oomph to sew through the several layers of material.

If you wash the tarp, don't put it in the dryer since it will shrink. The more you wash them, the weaker the material will get. And your home washing machine may not handle the weight in the spin cycle and the dirt.

Loadie

Reaction score
I got mine fixed at Done Right sports on 52st S.E. in Calgary . Was reasonable and they did a good job . They fix goalie equipment and such mostly . Had them put leather patches inside by the bars ... no problems since .

Last edited:

cutterguy987

Reaction score
Website
www.laurencemarkwart.com
Had the same problem last year.... ended up getting a second one and the wife reinforced the seams with the material from the trashed one and with the extra material she made me a barstool cover!! and we still have some left for the next rip...haven't had a problem this year... yet...Best to reinforce bars before you use tarp , if it dose rip take it off right away so it dose 'nt get to bad ,harder to fix . i had to buy wife new heavey duty sewing machine though . Small price to pay for her time to fix my stuff.

Top Bottom