sled comparison

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey all
I,m fairly new to mountain sledding and I'm looking for a machine. I prefer an artic cat m8 or a polaris 800. I know this can start a war so no bashing; opinions and ideas are welcome
thanks to all in advance

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey no worries on this site we bash all brands equally. Most of the mountain die hard riders are into the cat's, skidoos or polaris. 800's and up so take your pic it'll always be a bashing exercise getting advice on any one brand..... But if your into turbo'ing then you need a real sled, a yamaha......

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey no worries on this site we bash all brands equally. Most of the mountain die hard riders are into the cat's, skidoos or polaris. 800's and up so take your pic it'll always be a bashing exercise getting advice on any one brand..... But if your into turbo'ing then you need a real sled, a yamaha......

I think that Mr. dale has summed up what I was going to say:beer::beer::)

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if you are on a stock sled, it's the rider that makes the difference. Not so much the sled. If you have boost, it's all the sled. Grandpa could get a turbo to the top. LOL. Now I'm going to make some popcorn and sit back.:d

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if you are on a stock sled, it's the rider that makes the difference. Not so much the sled. If you have boost, it's all the sled. Grandpa could get a turbo to the top. LOL. Now I'm going to make some popcorn and sit back.:d

I'm not a good rider by no stretch of the imagination and need all the help a machine can give what I'm looking for is comfort and ease of handling (gettin old ya know)

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Rev but also really like my bro's M7. Not quite as much power as my 800 but it's still a blast to ride. I think if i were to buy a brand new machine i would look first at the M8.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry buy i have to say XP 163 i was a yamie guy from the day i was born but damn these thing work
I just converted and ya there a blast to ride and they go anywhere

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a sugestion, maybe go and rent one of each and then compare them. It's true about the turbo, but when you ride one you wont go back...LOL. I love my T-Apex!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you want to climb the chutes and highmark your buddies that is a lot different than boondocking through the trees and exploring all those high elevation lakes and vistas.

I know nothing about highmarking as I haven't found a way to put on the chicken straps before the decent.....

The doondocking aspect of riding is awesome on the stock Summit's....XP154 and 163 with the 800R. The HP to weight ratio makes this machine a joy to ride. Enough said!!

M800

Reaction score
I have to give a vote for the 09 M8. I haven't ridden an XP yet, but the M8 is SO easy to ride even I can look good riding it! Seriously though, it makes good power is super nimble and reliability is awesome! What else do you need in a mountain sled???:d

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:perfect10:i have 07 rev 800r i like it alot... i have tried 09 dragon 800 but i still like the rev better:perfect10:

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have rode cats all my life and now have an 09 m8 sno pro and i realy like it , but i think a boss seat is a good idea for these sleds:d

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got the 09 m8 as well and love the thing, doesnt seem to be anywhere i cant go:cool:

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M-8 all the way ,greatstock sled andif you want to add mods look out,i have the boondocker turbo on my and it rocks

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is try to ride them both and choose what fits you best. I ride an 09/xp and ride with friends that have cats and polaris's, they all run excellent. I think it boils down to dealerships and service in your area and most of all what fits your riding style.....good luck and if all else fails ride an xp, it might just be your answer.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride an 08 m8, i have ridden a polaris rmk 800 and a polaris dragon 800 both seem fine... didn't ride it long enough to get comfortable with it, lots of my buddies ride new xp's i've tried riding them but i can't even get comfortable enough to take it for a pull... just a very different riding style... im sure if i had a weekend on one i'd get used to it but i didn't. I like my 8, i like it lots... reliable stock... i put on over 1000 miles on it last yr and didn't blow one belt, just put oil and gas in it and rode the bars right off it all season. This year i put a boondocker turbo on it just for fun... less reliable now... but as is anything when you start modding it lol.

i vote AC M8 and yes a boss or custom seat makes it even more comfortable to ride. but really if you are buying anything newer... you aren't going to be dissapointed... they all work well, just stay away from the polaris 900's... they are a bomb waiting to go off.

Top Bottom