Sled/atv deck requirements?

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm building my own deck for my truck and wondering what is required on it by law, it is 8x8 feet and has a 19" beaver tail, I know I need marker lights on the side, but with the beaver tail hanging down sort of in sight with the tail lights do I need extra lights on the back of the deck to make up for the tail lights on the truck?

I'll throw a pic or 2 up when I get to the computer, no idea how to do it from my phone.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're going to need a 3 red light light bar on the back since the deck is 8 ft wide.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pic from snohog

Attachments

• sled deck.jpg
    sled deck.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 116

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have a question about getting the ramp into the box area with that large a beavertail. I see that it will sit on the bottom of the box but are you going to have something there, like a built up floor so that you still have storage space or is it going to be traditional and hang from the underside of the deck?

I don't know what DOT would require for lighting on the end of the beavertail. You have 4' from the taillight to the "end of the load" prior to lighting/flagging requirements but I'm not sure about the deck extension. Maybe a phone call to someone at a scale would give you proper information. Licensing agencies may have a print-out for the requirements. Good luck and it nice to see a "self build".

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you make a middle portion of your beavertail removable, you can get stuff under your deck way easier.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
If you're installing lights and wiring anyway I would just put some on the beavertail then you know for sure you're good 2 go.

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't put lights at the bottom of the beaver tail otherwise my ramps will break them, so im going to install 2-3 LED lights on each side the back of the deck. I'm not using the round lights, I'll use rectangular lights they are about 1" 1/2" by 3" long, I think that should be enough to satisfy the highway boys. What do you guys think?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I can't put lights at the bottom of the beaver tail otherwise my ramps will break them, so im going to install 2-3 LED lights on each side the back of the deck. I'm not using the round lights, I'll use rectangular lights they are about 1" 1/2" by 3" long, I think that should be enough to satisfy the highway boys. What do you guys think?

Rather than depend on what we think (I'm not inferring that there are no experts here), maybe you should check with DOT first. That way you'll get the correct information and not waste time nor money on something that isn't acceptable.

dirk660

Reaction score
Rather than depend on what we think (I'm not inferring that there are no experts here), maybe you should check with DOT first. That way you'll get the correct information and not waste time nor money on something that isn't acceptable.

good idea, because the highway laws are always changing too so you will get the most up to date info, provided you get to talk too someone that has some knowledge

Top Bottom