Skidoo requires XM's to use clicker1 for all trail riding? Otherwise reed valves fail

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Had a conversation with one of the guys at bow cycle south yesterday who said all XM's have to use clicker 1 when trail riding. He went on to say that something about the etec motors creates too much back pressure while trail riding and damages the reeds and that BRP warranty (3 year bumper to bumper) wasn't covering the reed valves because of this. He advised me to always use clicker 1 when riding into or out of areas to avoid buying new reed valves every year.

Sounds like a load of crap to me, I wasn't advised of this when I picked up the sled, or when I agreed to buy it 7 months ago either...:mad:

I might have some of this wrong, as I was fuming mad and not listening closely past the point where he told me the reed valves weren't part of a bumper to bumper warranty and are expected to blow up regularly.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rpm is contolled by the rev limiter in the ECU. You may experience an over rev issue at low altitude that requires a clicker change for optimum performance. This will not affect reeds in my opinion. I have never personally heard of this before or have seen a bulletin, or warning about this.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if they ask the answer is always on 1 lol,,, hard to prove what clicker the machine is on.....

pretty lame response tho,

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a conversation with one of the guys at bow cycle south yesterday who said all XM's have to use clicker 1 when trail riding. He went on to say that something about the etec motors creates too much back pressure while trail riding and damages the reeds and that BRP warranty (3 year bumper to bumper) wasn't covering the reed valves because of this. He advised me to always use clicker 1 when riding into or out of areas to avoid buying new reed valves every year.

Sounds like a load of crap to me, I wasn't advised of this when I picked up the sled, or when I agreed to buy it 7 months ago either...:mad:

I have found many loads at BOW to say the least bahahahahha

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know kuster made us switch them half way up the trail they never left them on the correct alpine setting

Same here. I'm thinking the reasoning for that was for positive feedback from the consumer for the surveys. If the sled bogs or misses because its on the rev limiter some dipwad that knows nothing about sleds other than steering it will put in the survey that it ran like a piece of crap on the trails.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the cause is over-revving wouldn't a fix for this just be to watch the RPM's when riding the trail? Not that clickers are hard to change, just saying.....

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the cause is over-revving wouldn't a fix for this just be to watch the RPM's when riding the trail? Not that clickers are hard to change, just saying.....

Exactly LBZ. Experienced riders like ourselves will do that. Some folks that get a chance to ride new product like this will ride like an egghead leaving piles of spun snow all over the trail because they can.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only person I've ever seen hit the rev limiter ok the trail was t-team. Lets just say broken reeds or the engine cutting out was the least of his worries after that.

But seriously you have to be going fast and driving like ....crazy.... to hit that rev limiter on the trail lol

Last edited by a moderator:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
The only person I've ever seen hit the rev limiter ok the trail was t-team. Lets just say broken reeds or the engine cutting out was the least of his worries after that.

But seriously you have to be going fast and driving like ....crazy.... to hit that rev limiter on the trail lol
PICTURES 007.jpg

What he said!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a reason I will not buy another sled from Bow Cycle.

As far as riding up the trail in clicker 1, it was mentioned already. It just helps inexperienced riders not hit the rev limiter. I don't even bother with clickers anymore. Even though FernieSnow says I like to tune my sled a lot, I don't :)

The reeds...well thats another story. There are issues with the reeds. A few people are swapping out to Boyesen's but I wouldn't yet. The reeds will dry out due to fuel no longer passing over them.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I might have some of this wrong, as I was fuming mad and not listening closely past the point where he told me the reed valves weren't part of a bumper to bumper warranty and are expected to blow up regularly.

Sounds like crap....find another dealer that know something

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats how we roll...................................................

Bawhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom