skidoo hard to turn

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so after trying my hardest this season to be a better rider and not get stuck every 2 feet. Im pretty sure my sled is working against me. When i try to turn her... me full on pulling on one side, both feet on the edge of the side rail... she still is super hard to turn. The mechanic at skidoo recommended simmons skis... i have them but maybe they are either out too far or in too far? Im pretty sure there's two spacers on the outside of each ski. The shocks have been adjusted to pretty much as open as they can be..

Besides me hitting the gym like a lunatic and beefing up lol any other advice that could help?

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so after trying my hardest this season to be a better rider and not get stuck every 2 feet. Im pretty sure my sled is working against me. When i try to turn her... me full on pulling on one side, both feet on the edge of the side rail... she still is super hard to turn. The mechanic at skidoo recommended simmons skis... i have them but maybe they are either out too far or in too far? Im pretty sure there's two spacers on the outside of each ski. The shocks have been adjusted to pretty much as open as they can be..

Besides me hitting the gym like a lunatic and beefing up lol any other advice that could help?

You need to move the spacers to the inside of the ski so it is at the narrow setting. Problem with the 08-10 xps is the very wide ski stance.
Also Teth-Air has spindle spacers which reduce steering effort roughly 20%

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to move the spacers to the inside of the ski so it is at the narrow setting. Problem with the 08-10 xps is the very wide ski stance.
Also Teth-Air has spindle spacers which reduce steering effort roughly 20%

The spacers should be on the outside, so the skis are closer to the centre, should they not? :confused:

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spacers should be on the outside, so the skis are closer to the centre, should they not? :confused:

If simmons spacers are same as stock no....spacers on the inside bring the outside of the ski tighter to the spindle. Hence, narrower stance!:d

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If simmons spacers are same as stock no....spacers on the inside bring the outside of the ski tighter to the spindle. Hence, narrower stance!:d

OH right. I was confused there. Had to go look at my sled.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you checked the ski alignment, it doesn't take much if they are out and it makes it a biotch to turn. width would affect it as well but probably not as much.

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you mean its hard to throw on its side or its actually tough to turn the bars?

660canuck

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my rev, loosen up the limiter strap, made a night and day difference for me.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, if it's steering to hard i'd check that limiter strap first, if it's too tight you'll have to much ski pressure. I had this very same problem with my rev at the start of last season, I lengthened the limiter strap by 2 holes and it made all the difference in the world.

funrider

Reaction score
I to have a hard time turning up the hill to take a run or find the sweet spot side hilling. I am 5'11" and 155lbs ya i know a tooth pick:) I have a 10" riser layed back strap is loose frt shocks are soft skis are narrow. Would a two wheel kit help? I am also going to put in a heavier rear spring.
Thanks

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you mean its hard to throw on its side or its actually tough to turn the bars?

sterring is fine, but like.. i find it hard to turn if i was pointing downhill and wanted to turn to go uphill,

jump on side, both feet on one side, type deal. My bf thought i just wasnt doing it right but he said i was and it still didnt turn very well.

Ill check the spacers when i get home.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I to have a hard time turning up the hill to take a run or find the sweet spot side hilling. I am 5'11" and 155lbs ya i know a tooth pick:) I have a 10" riser layed back strap is loose frt shocks are soft skis are narrow. Would a two wheel kit help? I am also going to put in a heavier rear spring.
Thanks

hrm.. ill have to look into it! im only 5'2 and about 135 lbs hahah not much better though for trying to use my "weight" to move the machine :mad:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sterring is fine, but like.. i find it hard to turn if i was pointing downhill and wanted to turn to go uphill,

jump on side, both feet on one side, type deal. My bf thought i just wasnt doing it right but he said i was and it still didnt turn very well.

Ill check the spacers when i get home.

go to a shorter track like the 146 or something wil lmake it waaayyy easier, wife has hell of a time turning her polaris with the 159 under it as well. going to a 2 wheel in the rear i dont think will change much as i dont really notice the difference on my summit to the wifes polaris, gotta think if your running the 163 on a 16 wide that is a monster pile of snow for a smaller person like your self to push out of the way to turn up hill.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need to get your timing of your throttle bang on with yanking sideways on the bars. If you don't hit the throttle hard enough, your track will not dig in and you will just keep pushing straight forward. My girlfriend had a lot of trouble getting her Nytro to turn until she started spinning the track more. Then it all started to work for her.
When you have both feet on one side, move your back foot further back along the running board and push with the back leg, kind of like kicking the back end of the sled into the turn.
that may help.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need to get your timing of your throttle bang on with yanking sideways on the bars. If you don't hit the throttle hard enough, your track will not dig in and you will just keep pushing straight forward. My girlfriend had a lot of trouble getting her Nytro to turn until she started spinning the track more. Then it all started to work for her.
When you have both feet on one side, move your back foot further back along the running board and push with the back leg, kind of like kicking the back end of the sled into the turn.
that may help.

Yeah i can do that, and the sled will move and not dig in, it just doesnt turn very well.. lol like i end up going diagonal downward or across lol

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going from dowhill to uphill isn't necessarily easy, especially if the hill is steep and the snow isn't deep.
did you disconnect your sway bar?
Some people mention cranking up the front shock on the rear skid and loosening the limiter strap by 1 hole as well. I haven't done this but I weigh 270 so I don't have much trouble getting the thing tipped over.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going from dowhill to uphill isn't necessarily easy, especially if the hill is steep and the snow isn't deep.
did you disconnect your sway bar?
Some people mention cranking up the front shock on the rear skid and loosening the limiter strap by 1 hole as well. I haven't done this but I weigh 270 so I don't have much trouble getting the thing tipped over.

hrm... ill tell the bf to check into that as well

i only have a 146" track... bf rides the 163

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, hopefully its the sled and not the rider :p

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ditched a sway bar link on my 2010 xp 163 to lay it over a bit better in steep stuff, it helps a bit for sure and I dont care if its a bit mushy on the trails. I dont think Ill be putting it back on.

climbin

Reaction score
If you get your limiter straps set right and run the tether-air spindle extensions the handle bars turn really easy if that's what your referring to. As for turning a downhill run into an uphill turn, start with digging the ski that is on the inside of the turn in while you're descending. This will help initiate the turn. But once you decide to crank it around you have to really commit to the turn with body english and be ready to steer out of it when you are pointed up hill or you'll simply spin a donut. Dump the sway bar as well.

Top Bottom