Ski-doo Etech feed back?

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 summit x, 1300km on mine, has given me zero reason to think any other product. I would buy another etec in a second.

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So What's the difference between Etec and the Power TEK? Besides price....

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So What's the difference between Etec and the Power TEK? Besides price....

The Etec has more power and the power delivery is a lot more smooth and less laboured. I have a 12' freeride (etec) and i wouldnt trade it for anything its awesome. If you ride both you can tell a major difference not to mention the etec uses way less oil and gas

go green

Reaction score
I got 1000 kms on my 2012 summit and cant say enough on the fuel mileage and reliability. This weekend -30 and it starts first pull ( it start first or second pull every time )

krazy c

Reaction score
Only rode my 2012 e-tec 163x one weekend, 200km and absolutely love it. That new track is alsome, narrow stance makes it way easier to climb through the trees. My first ride was in the mountains, put on 90km that day and the fuel guage was reading over half tank when we got back. Love it!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I will play a different side of the story because as great as the sled is, there may be some short comings.

The difference in the etec and ptek is the fuel delivery as mentioned. Direct Injection vs carbs. Also the oil pump on the etec is an electronic pump vs mechanical on the ptek.

The etec has been around for quite awhile. They have been using the same technology in boat motors for years. The 600 etec has been used in sleds since '09? I would have to confirm the year.

Last year saw the first consumer 800 etec in a sled. There is a recall for all 2011 800 motors at (2000?) km for a piston update. The ring locator pin was working its way out and causing issues in a few sleds. Easy fix, everyone with an '11 gets a fresh top end. The issue is said to be compounded by the thicker ring BRP chooses to use. They use the same piston in the '12 but the updated locator pin location. 2012 also saw a few minor motor updates to make it perform a little better(smoother)

With the direct injection, Ski-Doo is able to keep the pollution police happy and continue using a 2-stroke motor. How long before Cat and Polaris can't meet the emission requirements? The 1000 Cat was said not to be able to meet the new requirements, hence why it went away. Okay sure Cat owners tell me why it really went away?

There is no oil/fuel mixture. Fuel is injection into the head and oil injected into case for crank lubrication. Now this can be argued to be an issue. No longer is fuel being injected into the case which aids in crank cooling. Could there be longevity issues in the 800's due to a lack of fuel cooling? Time will tell. Indexing of the primary on the crank may help reduce crank bearing wear. Less vibration.

Fuel economy for a mountain sled is awesome. Oil consumption I would say is near the same as the more you hold the throttle open, the more oil it consumes.

I have over 500miles on my '12. We have an '11 that has over 800miles that was picked up mid season last year. Out of the box the '12 works just as good as the '11 with gearing/clutching changes. The new CVT cooling cover appears to work. It does keep clutch temps lower. A band-aid but it works. The narrower stance does reduce rider fatigue but it also allows more pressure on the side panels when laying the sled over for longer periods of time in fresh snow or extreme side hills. Right panel has a melted section from the can(aftermarket), primary wore a hole in the CVT cover.

Stock, the '12 Summit 800 etec is a great sled. I prefer the X as the painted tunnel is a bonus. Snow doesn't stick to it. But you pay a premium for just that and a mild upgrade in shocks. Overall, price is higher on the Doo than comparable Polaris Pro's and SnoPro Cats. The Polaris does get up on top of the snow better. Plain and simple, it does. But I can't stand riding a Pro. I haven't spent any time on a new Cat, other than reading mixed reviews, its a first model year of the sled, its going to have its issues.

Overall the feedback of the new 2012 Doo's has been exceptional. One or two complaints but you get that with anything.

BrownEyes420

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my 2011 sooooooo much (and it only has 400 miles on it) that I am thinking about buying the 2013 when it comes out when I get rid of my '05 800! As a femiale sledder, I find it easier to handle and control than other sleds I have tried. Just saying... :)

Oh, and man can that thing climb and I'm not even using full throttle YET!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom