Sipe your tires??

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody know where I can get a set of tires siped? I am running the toyo MT and I talked to a guy who said he got his done and they were way better in the winter.

Thanks!!

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my tires siped a few years ago. The only place at the time was Kal Tire on 170 st . Last year I talked to Kal Tire in Sherwood Park ( near thr Road King ) and they were thinking about getting the equipment to sipe tires. I had good luck with siping tires. I agree that it will make a difference on icy streets especially on D or E load rated tires.

mudbitchguy

Reaction score
Website
www.supergripatv.ca
Anybody know where I can get a set of tires siped? I am running the toyo MT and I talked to a guy who said he got his done and they were way better in the winter.

Thanks!!

When I used to work @ Fountain Tire on 156St and 135 Ave we had a siping machine... have done lots of tires... especially m/t tires. I would highly recommend it. It does make a huge difference.

Call Jim Bailey @ 463-2404 and tell him Rej from Super Grip sent you!!

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I used to work @ Fountain Tire on 156St and 135 Ave we had a siping machine... have done lots of tires... especially m/t tires. I would highly recommend it. It does make a huge difference.

Call Jim Bailey @ 463-2404 and tell him Rej from Super Grip sent you!!

Thanks,

Jim said that the Leduc location has a Siping machine. I have also found out that Kal tire on yellowhead has one, and it's a lot closer for me. Sounds like the tires need to be super clean and rock free to get this done. The MT has very few spots for any rocks to get trapped so I'll have to make sure they're cleaned up real nice.

The same guy that had his toyo MT siped told me the best tire he ever had was BFG AT that were siped.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can buy this turn the groover blade around and you can sipe your tires

Have you got any experience with these? I saw something like this but I'm a little hesitant to start experimenting with a $500 tire......:eek:

heinracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you got any experience with these? I saw something like this but I'm a little hesitant to start experimenting with a $500 tire......:eek:

i use them on my race car tires every week you just plug it in gets nice and hot and you set the depth you want to cut its very simple

mudbitchguy

Reaction score
Website
www.supergripatv.ca
Thanks,

Jim said that the Leduc location has a Siping machine. I have also found out that Kal tire on yellowhead has one, and it's a lot closer for me. Sounds like the tires need to be super clean and rock free to get this done. The MT has very few spots for any rocks to get trapped so I'll have to make sure they're cleaned up real nice.

The same guy that had his toyo MT siped told me the best tire he ever had was BFG AT that were siped.

Cool... How much from Kal tire to sipe??? Sorry I forgot to mention that the tires have to be clean from rocks... it wrecks the blades...

As for the BFG AT... this isn't my favorite tire... The Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour is a way better tire for traction and durability... and you don't need to sipe them... I've found that BFG's are too soft and the tires don't last as long.... The Silent Armours have an 80,000km tread life warranty and I think they are on 4 for 3 right now.... Get a hold of FTGuy ( Greg) in Spruce Grove if you need any more info.

Rej

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool... How much from Kal tire to sipe??? Sorry I forgot to mention that the tires have to be clean from rocks... it wrecks the blades...

I forgot to ask. I was thinking about how much fun it is to remove 32 lugnuts and lift those wheels into another truck....lol

I'll update when I know.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to ice race an old Ford Cortina 1600 in the 80's and we used to sipe them by hand with a utility knife.We would do 1 block in the direction of travel and the one beside at 90 degrees to it.The difference in traction is unbelievable.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to ice race an old Ford Cortina 1600 in the 80's and we used to sipe them by hand with a utility knife.We would do 1 block in the direction of travel and the one beside at 90 degrees to it.The difference in traction is unbelievable.

I just went outside and ran a knife through a lug and it was surprisingly easy. I'm going to do this this week. Thanks for the idea. I was thinking it would be hard to cut.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay so I spent yesterday afternoon cutting these tires by hand. 560 cuts per tire = sore hands.

I cut the inside and center 2 rows axially, for braking / accel traction, and the outside row radially to help w turning. I tried to keep the cut within the lug, leaving the perimeter of each lug untouched, for strength. I set the blade on my utility knife to about 2/3 of the depth of the lug.

It's hard to see the cuts that are in the center and inside lugs, cause they don't spread open at all.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 256
  • toyoMT.jpg
    toyoMT.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 325

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had my Nitto Mud Grapplers done at Kal Tire and they charged me $30.0/tire.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back up. My new truck came with some not so great tires when they are on the ice. Been going back and forth as to what to do. Thinking it might be worth siping them more. They are firestone transforce AT which have sipes in them already. I just don't want to go out and buy something like the duratracs and have them be no better. Way too many options and opinions out there, I am having a tough time deciding.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back up. My new truck came with some not so great tires when they are on the ice. Been going back and forth as to what to do. Thinking it might be worth siping them more. They are firestone transforce AT which have sipes in them already. I just don't want to go out and buy something like the duratracs and have them be no better. Way too many options and opinions out there, I am having a tough time deciding.

Just go buy a dedicated winter and be done with it, save the TransForce for summer.

Last edited:

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had that tire on the last Chev and I wouldn't waste your time. I bought the Duratracs only because I just wanted to buy one set to run all year.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Siping does help with in reason. If you have a super hard compound tire it's obviously not going to be as effective as a softer compound tire. But it will be better than it was, no question.
Some say siping also makes the tires run cooler so will last longer. Some say it alters the tire pattern so wears more quickly.. I have not noticed any quicker wear on the ones I had done....
Some tire companies do not like siping older tires as they will be filled with rocks, It's hard on the cutting blades. I had tires done all the time when I lived in the Okanagan. I only ran all seasons which were fine new but 50% tread or less needed a little extra help in the winter. Siping worked well.
When I moved to Alberta in 2000 I went to get a set don't and three tire companies just looked at me with a dumb look on their faces. "You want them what???" I thought maybe they called it something different here.
I have since abandoned the M&S tires and went with a straight winter tire and rim set. No more siping required.

Top Bottom