simple solution for steep loading ramps

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
climbing up a ramp isn't hard once your track hooks up on the ramp. You can actually stop or idle up the ramp once you have engaged it. The problem is that you need to carry enough speed in order to get the track to the ramp.

If you go to slow, you end up with only the very back of the track on the ground spinning. This is especially true if loading on ice or on pavement. if you go to fast, you end up on America's Funniest Home Videos. I think the fear of loading keeps many people from owning a sled deck.

What is needed is a way for the track to have traction without the need to go too fast. A simple idea is to add something that looks like a ladder to the ramp. Here is my first iteration of the design.

rampreadytoload.jpg

The extension is a 2x10" piece of pressure treated wood with gripping strips attached to the top of it. I used 1 1/2" strips of old hardwood I had glued then screwed every 6"

ramppicofboard.jpg

In order to attach it to the ramp so it doesn't get shot out backwards, I cut a 1" slot on the back of the board and it hooks onto the lowest rung of the ramp. Unfortunately, the ground wasn't level and I broke part of it. This part of the design needs some more thought. I may use a strap to help keep it attached to the ramp while loading.

ramppicofslot.jpg

Here is the extension in action. I idled up to the ramp and then idled 1/2 way up the ramp. I then stopped the sled and engaged the parking brake. You can see that the track is fully hooked up to the extension. I then made sure the sled was square to the ramp, started the sled back up and drove on to the deck at 1 mph.

rampreasonforrampmod.jpg

At no point did I exceed a couple of MPH and the track had traction the entire time. I makes loading the sled child's play, very very easy. Time to build was about 1 hour and the cost was $7 for a piece of culled lumber at Home Depot.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another idea I have is to attach the extension to the 2nd rung of the ramp. This way, it won't matter if the ground is a little uneven as the extension will be mostly off the ground, at a very shallow angle.

This would actually strengthen the connection between the ramp and the extension as the ramp won't be able to jump off the rung.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another idea I have is to attach the extension to the 2nd rung of the ramp. This way, it won't matter if the ground is a little uneven as the extension will be mostly off the ground, at a very shallow angle.

This would actually strengthen the connection between the ramp and the extension as the ramp won't be able to jump off the rung.

That's a slick idea you drummed up! I'd be looking for a patent on that bad boy..
I'll have to show a buddy who parked his sled in the rear window in his truck, lol.
Nice work.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be looking for a patent on that bad boy..

Yea in Newfie land they could sell for $250.00, lol any ways good idea. Merry Christmas

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be quiet easy to make it out of aluminum, then I bet you would sell a ton of them

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a ramp manufacturer should come up with a quad-fold instead of a tri-fold. The fourth part would be the extension.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool idea but I always liked the parking lot entertainment :d
Kind of like sitting at the boat launch in the summer :beer:

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I seen a similar idea (in principle anyway) somewhere else. I think it was a three piece ramp with the center piece being longer than the ski ramp pieces. That said, yeah, it's a, simple, idea and it makes sense.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got an idea from Sandorsnow, attach another strip of hardwood on the back side to give a larger, more robust hook. It is now unlikely that the extension will bounce off the ramp while loading. Simple idea which I really like.

I had an extra cleat from yesterday because I lack the ability to successfully count to 9 so it was a simple matter of fishing it out of the garbage and glue / screwing it on to the underside of the extension.

Here is a pic.

rampextracleat.jpg

As you can see, it adds a lot of beef to the hook so this itteration is no longer garbage. I had intended to do another one a little prettier but this one looks like it will work fine. 5 minutes to spray paint and you end up with this

rampallprettiedup.jpg

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its true about the fear of loading on a deck, I've got it down now and just crawl up but still have a few moments where I have had spun out before the track touched the ramp and other moments where the skis came down on the headache rack.:d

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am still working on it. I have to work on getting up to my trailer, then once that is perfected then get it into my truck. While looking for ramps I found a set that had the forth piece. They looked awesome and I wish I could have getten them but at almost 600 bucks it is too rich for my blood.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am still working on it. I have to work on getting up to my trailer, then once that is perfected then get it into my truck. While looking for ramps I found a set that had the forth piece. They looked awesome and I wish I could have getten them but at almost 600 bucks it is too rich for my blood.

do you remember where you saw them or what brand they were? If someone doesn't want to build this extension, the $600 for a safe ramp is cheaper than a new rear window.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL i love this web site...Really ,yes only in newfie land when you drink to much skreetch would that come in handy.

Top Bottom