Shredded a belt

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of friends and I were riding last week, the snow was about 2 1/2 feet deep and super dense and wet. I started feeling this vibration in my sled and thought I had stuck something in the skid so I rolled her over and checked but couldn't find anything. Did that several more times when decided that if there's something in there I'm going to mash the throttle and fling it out. So I mash it and the vibration gets worse, I get a bunch of noise from the clutch area and the sled stops then dies. Sure enough, I open the panel and the belt is shredded to hell, luckily I had a spare.

Is it unusual for the belt to shred like that in this kind of snow with less than 1k miles on it?

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Absolutely unusual.

Especially with under a KM on sled.

How did it run with the new belt after that? Maybe just a bad belt.

I would let the dealer know and he should be able to at least get you a belt.

These sleds have a history of long km's before belt replacement.

Don't forget that a new belt should be broke in properly also.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1000 miles is still a bit early, depending on how it's road, loaded, moisture ect

I had 2700 km on mine and still looked good, and it was used hard all its life

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Humm not enough info really. 1k on the belt or the sled, I've seen belts blow at 250miles on them, lots of different variables that will cause a belt to blow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1676km on mine clutches were serviced with no major parts required belt deflection was changed slightly and she is good to go for many more trouble free k 2015 t3

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about a belt at a 1000 miles. My first went at 700km. I seen belts last less then a 100km. I rode with a guy with a 1100 turbo cat he packed 5 belts for one day lol. And he almost ran out of belts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But for a xm it's out of the norm, but yes depends how it was used,

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have grenaded four XM belts and I ride a Polaris. No one will let me try their Doo anymore :) Next time you play hard in the deep snow pop open the side panel and see if you can hold your clutch with a bare hand. Your lucky you got that much life out of it IMHO. Try to avoid complete belt failure. Besides the mess, sometimes the cords will wrap tight between the clutch and engine and can take out the crank seal.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But for a xm it's out of the norm, but yes depends how it was used,

They seem to be around the 1000 mark or 5000 no where in between lol. My second belt on my xm had 1800km on it and 3 tows of dead sleds back to the truck on it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They seem to be around the 1000 mark or 5000 no where in between lol. My second belt on my xm had 1800km on it and 3 tows of dead sleds back to the truck on it.

Ya my 2nd belt has 2000 km and counting, with 2 tows too and that's good and hard on a belt

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got exactly 2003 kms out of my original belt. And boom over the bars I went.
295b4aae7e9e12128d165b8f6c115c8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snow I was riding in had no base, basically anytime we would stop, then go to take off we would dig all the way down to the tundra. I ride the sled fairly hard but don't do much jumping or big drops, mostly ditch banging, some steep hill climbs and just playing around in the deep stuff. I cannot say if this is the original belt since I bought it used but it only had 62 miles on it when I bought it so I'd guess that it was probably the original.

Primary was pretty hot when I pulled what was left of the old belt off and the sled ran great with the new belt on it. This is my first XM so I was just checking to see if this was something I should be concerned about. Thanks for the info so far.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone that rides hard is going to go through belts. XMs are better on belts than the XPs but they still blow them if you are to the bar all day.

SKEGNSNOW

Reaction score
The snow I was riding in had no base, basically anytime we would stop, then go to take off we would dig all the way down to the tundra. I ride the sled fairly hard but don't do much jumping or big drops, mostly ditch banging, some steep hill climbs and just playing around in the deep stuff. I cannot say if this is the original belt since I bought it used but it only had 62 miles on it when I bought it so I'd guess that it was probably the original.

Primary was pretty hot when I pulled what was left of the old belt off and the sled ran great with the new belt on it. This is my first XM so I was just checking to see if this was something I should be concerned about. Thanks for the info so far.
So you don't know if it was the original belt? Not very precise info. Get a DJ clutch kit, vent the side panel, break in the belts around 30 miles for sure. I don't get upset when I blow a belt. It usually means my hands and arms are sore, my face hurts from smiling and the snow was awesome enough to murder the belt!

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the sled used and it had 62 miles on it with that belt, I never changed it until it blew. That's about as precise as I can get and I never said I was upset about it, I was just looking for peoples opinions about it blowing with less 1k miles on it since this is my first XM.

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the motor mounts, also check the engine stopper behind the drive clutch. If it is to loose or to tight it will deflect the engine.

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would get the clutch serviced as well, I know we have seen a few of the driven springs get weak and not back shift correctly which is very hard on belts.

Top Bottom