Should I or shouldn't I?

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about buying a modded sled....again(bought an 07 rev with some mods....was a great sled until I blew the motor a month after the warrenty was up, a used motor and $3000 later you would think I would have learned my leason.......yeah... not so much). I have a line on an '08 xp with an 860 BB, racers edge suspension,ceramic coated pipe, mbrp can, vent kit, clutch upgrade, camo extreme track, not sure if anything else. Sled has about 2500km on it. Wondering about durability of the 860 big bore, if there is any warrenty with this machine or if is void because of mods. Should I stay away and buy new(there is still a few 09 xp's or even 09 m8 around to be had)or buy a sled that somebody else has put $5 or $6000 into and already enjoyed. Need somebody to push me off the fence.:beer:

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it depends on the bigbore i have the rkt kit in mine and i got about 3600 k out of it so it was a pretty good engine and as for you paying 3000 for a used engine i think you got screwed i just built a new 860 cases crank the hole deal for just under 3000 i needed cases cause i was being dumb was going to do the top end in it wich have been only about 500 but decided to go for one last rip a home this spring and droped a skirt boom 3000. i would sugjest doind the top end at about 2500km to save your self some money. as for me i ride enought that i'm going to do it every season now as for the rest of the sled the suspension is worth a far bit of money and if the price is right and its in good shape i'd go for it. do a compresion test on it depending on the heads it should have between 130 and 150 psi per cylinder.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe/know it is a split second big bore kit.Don't know too much else about it though. The guy rode it stock the first season then apparently modded it up last season. Did not talk to the owner however;just a friend of the owner, so I don't have the whole scoop on the machine. It is an 08 163" summit X with somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2500-3000 km for around $10000. As for the used motor....it was $2000 plus my old motor .The extra $1000-$1200 was for two clutch springs and then shop labor($95/hr) for re and re on the motor and the clutching. It runs like a top right now but i'm nervous about that '07 motor and the crank blowing again, so, i'm gonna try and sell that('07 summit X 159") and the RX1 tonne that i have sitting in the garage and buy one. Was buying new for sure until this sled came across my plate. I'm almost looking for someone to tell me not to buy the dam thing I think....but it sounds sooooo good.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep your 07. The new motors that they put in don't have the crank problem. A modded motor with 2500km on it will need to be redone soon. IMO

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope I don't sound like a jerk, but if you have to take the sled in to be worked on, then a mod may not be the best choice. Shop charges add up really fast. And you have to wait in line for repairs during the riding season.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not to mention most shops ( dealers ) will not touch a modded sled.

well this is what they told me anyways. after they couldnt fix my sled (normally i do but was away and needed it done) blamed it on the nitrous system which has nothing to do with normal operation. and sent me home with a 1000$ bill and still not fixed. told me to never bring it there again
haha

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you are prepared to work on it yourself, I would stay away from it. Ralph is a long way's drive if something goes wrong so your only option in and around Calgary is Bow Cycle (at times I'm not sure if they know what a Ski Doo looks like) - unless you want to drive to Cochrane or Olds. You could take it to Baker but I think they have lots of work already...

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't ever run a mod again. Throw some good clutching and maybe a single pipe on an otherwise stock sled; pull the rope and go. Depends what a guy wants to I guess, boondocking/playing in the pow vs needing to scratch the highest mark on every hill.:beer:

dirtbag

Reaction score
I'm on the fence about buying a modded sled....again(bought an 07 rev with some mods....was a great sled until I blew the motor a month after the warrenty was up, a used motor and $3000 later you would think I would have learned my leason.......yeah... not so much). I have a line on an '08 xp with an 860 BB, racers edge suspension,ceramic coated pipe, mbrp can, vent kit, clutch upgrade, camo extreme track, not sure if anything else. Sled has about 2500km on it. Wondering about durability of the 860 big bore, if there is any warrenty with this machine or if is void because of mods. Should I stay away and buy new(there is still a few 09 xp's or even 09 m8 around to be had)or buy a sled that somebody else has put $5 or $6000 into and already enjoyed. Need somebody to push me off the fence.:beer:

like guys said if you work on it yourself or not,and what you want in the end,a mod is great but it means haveing a knowledge of your machine and whats going on and I would say one must understand the set up ,not just have it set up for you..must have egt and water temp sensor and know how to use it/monitor it all,it is more work than stock but some of us out here like that,nothing like getting a good mod set up and working proper......a big thing with a lot of mods out there I have found is guys dont have them set up right and dont understand whats needed which is just goofy as most engine builders will go out of there way to help you understand whats needed as they all want there engines to impress people, nobody wants a dog with there name attached. so it is just taking the time to learn and go right to the source (engine builder) and avoide second hand info..as for a mod with 2500 on it,I would account for a rebuild right away,like was mentioned should account for it just about every season or about 2500km with a mod ,power cost $$ and if you are scrapeing into a mod dont do it as the potential is there for it to cost ,and most mods have been abused already and there is a reason it is being sold..... to rebuild a bigbore isint neccessarily more than stock .....all that said there is nothing like big horse power ,and if you know your engine and treat it right it can be very reliable,reliability useually comes down to abuse or lack of maitanance,but because you are debating buying new I would say get a new one because a mod man KNOWS he wants a mod

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i disagree with you on the mod topic i run an o7 rev full mod rkt 860 and in 3600 km i just did the motor no other issues and my wrench time is probably less than a new xp all my main components are aftermarket or light weight and aftermarket usually means better than stock and from what i see and hear on here the stock sleds need motors before that my engine costs no more to rebuild than a stocker but the enitial cost is a bit more and as far as tunnig goes it was like a couple of hours and most of these motor builders know what to run for jets and clutching so thats easy. sure i have to run a bit of race fuel but the fun factor is way more than that of a stocker just my 2 cents and bayman that sled will probably need a top end soon like i stated before but if its what you want then go for it , its you thats going to be riding it and not us. price out a top end for the engine and make the guy a deal on the sled less the cost of a new top end there cheap. and either way you'll have fun

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will try and get the full story on the sled this week as i believe the guy selling it is back from holidays. As for why its up forsale, i think the original owner is no longer with us and his wife wants it gone or so the story goes.Don't think he got to enjoy the modifications too much...will post more when I see it and talk to the guy.Thanks for the replies guys.:beer::beer:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Glen's sled. Probably a good buy if it is....he was a great tuner.

Personally, I had very bad luck with a Split Second big bore....never made any more power than stock. They'll never see another dime from me. BUT...several people were very happy with SS stuff.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen the sled,very well taken care of,extremely clean with the exception of a small tear in one side were a ski tip punctured it.About 1700 miles, compression test showed 135 lbs in each cylinder...seemed like a good sled with alot of nice goodies added. Dam it, even more on the fence now.Was leaning back to new but now, not so sure anymore. Really clean, really nice. With 1700 miles, maybe 700-800 miles on last years bigbore, will maybe try and find out from split second if possible.Damn, i shouldda listened to the wife and not gone....probablly gonna buy it:d.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bayman, here are a couple of my vids with a few segments of Glen's sled in better times. There are two of us with orange King Cats. No pressure :beer:

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/4424199[/media]

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/4423706[/media]

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the little look at it in action. Will be in touch soon...but would sure be easier to talk the wife into it if the other two were gone, Anybody;'05 RX1, low, low kms and '07 summit X 159" up for grabs.

Top Bottom