Should i carry a gas can on my freeride?

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have an etech. The only time i come home without dumping jerry is because i broke something expensive!

Pwdrh0r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sure aint going to slow you down and if you mount the skidoo jerry can right it will not fall off. dont follow the instructions and go ahead and mount the can backwards. thats what i did and i rode my sled two years and it never fell off once

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but werent u told that u could start a fire,from static electricity.Thats what adrian from rtr in kamloops told me.Why then did ski doo go and change the jerry can from the rev style?Ive got mine on backwards n it fits way better and havent had n issue with it catching fire or fallin off...

Pwdrh0r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that friction and catching fire ordeal is just hype. Id liek to see that happen. Not saying it cant but like whats the possibilities of that! Doesnt backward look and hold alot better?!

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year i put 120km of hard riding on my etec up in boulder and the fuel light came on near the parking lot. I always ride with extra fuel, but will be dropping my can this year near the top. I cant wait for a day where i need to use the extra fuel.

As for Oil

I made the mistake of not filling up my oil from the day before (100km) as it looked 3/4 in the morning and the lowlight came on on the trail back. The oil was just under 1/2 (220km) but due to the rough ride it was making the sensor go wild and got annoying. The Etecs are unreal with oil, but you always have to keep them topped so they dont cry.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year i put 120km of hard riding on my etec up in boulder and the fuel light came on near the parking lot. I always ride with extra fuel, but will be dropping my can this year near the top. I cant wait for a day where i need to use the extra fuel.

As for Oil

I made the mistake of not filling up my oil from the day before (100km) as it looked 3/4 in the morning and the lowlight came on on the trail back. The oil was just under 1/2 (220km) but due to the rough ride it was making the sensor go wild and got annoying. The Etecs are unreal with oil, but you always have to keep them topped so they dont cry.

The low oil light comes on at half. I've had it where I knew it was at 3/4, but sitting on a slight hill it will come on at start up.

sent from a phone

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the low oil light comes on at half. I've had it where i knew it was at 3/4, but sitting on a slight hill it will come on at start up.

Sent from a phone

that was changed for the 2012's. Not quite as sensitve now.

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
lost all my doo cans mounted the way the instructions and pics show. Re-mounted them backwards and haven't lost one since. I have picked up a few on the trail so i hope people keep mounting them that way. I noticed all the 12's at martin had them mounted backwards when i was there tonight. fyi.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lost all my doo cans mounted the way the instructions and pics show. Re-mounted them backwards and haven't lost one since. I have picked up a few on the trail so i hope people keep mounting them that way. I noticed all the 12's at martin had them mounted backwards when i was there tonight. fyi.

Use small bolts and nyloc nuts in the tie down brackets and problem solved.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so a little update, this past weekend with my etec (still not broken in) I rode hard all day and i only burnt half a tank. Me thinks i wont need a gas can if it keeps this up :) and the ride was amazing heads and tails better than my last sled, i friggin love this thing

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright before T-team comes on here and mocks me for even thinking about it... I was wondering if any of you etec guys ever need the spare gas? I had a 2007 summit 800 before this and i think i used extra gas once and that was because i was at half when i left. any thoughts? Reason i dont want to is because i think a gas can on the back is friggin ugly AND i ALWAYS end up losing them so having lost two of the BRP ones i'm hesitant...

thanks for the input!

oh it's a freeride 154" btw

t-team has never made it up the trail. therefor no use for extra fuel. LOL.

id pick up a set of white track rack fuel cans and throw them on there. there may be an adventeruous day where you will be wishing you had it.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Alright..A. Maxwell... Go fist yourself. Keep in mind this year if I destroy my sled again this year it will have your 1000.00 dollar track and drivers on it.. So pipe down! That was not a trail... That was a gateway to hell.

B. WTF! Carrying gas on a e-tech is like going to a hooker for a hug! It serves a purpose but in the end its a waste of money. Dont do that! . Dont turn your machine into a pack lama for everyone else! If you end up doing that I better at least see it full of root beer paralyzers! And maxwell buy a tundra or an expedition if you want to go on an adventure! Or I guess that would mean I would have to get one so you could borrow it permanently like you have done with all of the rest of my stuff! lol

Last edited:

Stantheman

Reaction score
Cant see why you wouldnt put extra fuel on your sled, its not like its on you back. As many have said its alot easier to give buddies fuel then tow them out. You never know when you might want that extra fuel to start a fire if you end up have to stay the night, god forbid.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a P Tec and ran out of fuel at fernie on the ride out. Whooped up trail and glad i had it. Used it 3 times last year.... Always carry it you never know what might happen

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Actually its alot easier to point and laugh at them for buying a thirsty cat and keep riding than it is to do either one of the things you just mentioned....

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Actually its alot easier to point and laugh at them for buying a thirsty cat and keep riding than it is to do either one of the things you just mentioned....

Even though u are an azzhat I will still stop and help MAXWELL pick up you and the pieces of your sled should I witness an unfortunate tree encounter just to prove what a nice guy I am.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright..A. Maxwell... Go fist yourself. Keep in mind this year if I destroy my sled again this year it will have your 1000.00 dollar track and drivers on it.. So pipe down! That was not a trail... That was a gateway to hell.

B. WTF! Carrying gas on a e-tech is like going to a hooker for a hug! It serves a purpose but in the end its a waste of money. Dont do that! . Dont turn your machine into a pack lama for everyone else! If you end up doing that I better at least see it full of root beer paralyzers! And maxwell buy a tundra or an expedition if you want to go on an adventure! Or I guess that would mean I would have to get one so you could borrow it permanently like you have done with all of the rest of my stuff! lol

Its too d%&$ pretty to put a gas can on haha, and besides you'll always be carrying my extra gas anyways right?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a P Tec and ran out of fuel at fernie on the ride out. Whooped up trail and glad i had it. Used it 3 times last year.... Always carry it you never know what might happen

We are not talking about ptek's though. I don't think I ever went on a ride and didn't have to put fuel in my '09.

It may be rare to have to put fuel in an etec, but its not a chance I am willing to take unless I purposely go on a ride where I don't intend on riding the entire day.

Top Bottom