Should i carry a gas can on my freeride?

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright before T-team comes on here and mocks me for even thinking about it... I was wondering if any of you etec guys ever need the spare gas? I had a 2007 summit 800 before this and i think i used extra gas once and that was because i was at half when i left. any thoughts? Reason i dont want to is because i think a gas can on the back is friggin ugly AND i ALWAYS end up losing them so having lost two of the BRP ones i'm hesitant...

thanks for the input!

oh it's a freeride 154" btw

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have burned through a tank on the etec a few times last year. Personally I wouldn't think of entering the backcountry without spare fuel. Drop into one area you are not familar with, or end up having to look for someone or get into some stuff that you just can't climb back out of and then run out of fuel, then what?

If you don't like carrying it, drop it off at the chalet or fuel drops. Fill up once you get to your main riding area and drop off the can.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my eyes opened at Boulder last year. Bluebird and 3 ft of fresh and we ran 2 of the 3 ETECS in our group out of fuel at 3pm. If it wasn't for me having a hose in my trunk we would have never got close to the cabin. Mark Schade bailed us out with 3 gallons and we got all 3 sleds to the parking lot. Bottom line is when you are WOT all day they will burn fuel but once we went into save mode it was amazing how far we traveled with 3 sleds on a very small amount of fuel. Watch out for those Bluebird days. Lol.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always pack gas. Like takethebounce says, leave it at the cabin. Even if you don't use it, dump it in the tank before you head down. Or maybe someone in your group ends up needing it. I would rather give someone gas than have to tow them down at the end of the day.

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
I just picked up an E-Tec, but on my p-tek I have come back on fumes, literally!!!!! after also dumping in the fuel caddy. Not soo bad when days are shorter, but watch out in March/April, & yes the doo fuel gauges are out to lunch, but the litres that it took to top up my sled & fuel caddy was very significant. At least I knew that I was on the trail out when the light was on, for 20+ kms!!!!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I don't own a skidoo,but whether sledding ,quadding,whatever;as stated b4,I don't go into the back country without spare fuel.Rarely needed it but gave lots away,and makes starting the fire for lunch way faster/easier!

v10rider

Reaction score
Gas is kinda like your lifeline unless you are in an area that you know like the back of your hand.

Always good to have extra gas although now that I have an ETEC, I have been told over and over again that I don't need to carry extra gas.

FWIW, on my first ride 2 weeks ago (about 3-5ft base) and quite a bit of WOT, I burned 20 litres and the odo showed 75km.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if these Etech's used a bit more fuel for the first few tanks, break-in mode and all.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lasst year went to area 51 with about 10 guys or so and we didnt get off the hill till 11 pm every person ran out of fuel on the way down that stupid long ungroomed trail !! we all had jerrycans but we forgot how long the trail down was.. because of that i will never go with out fuel again !!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only fueling station is what you bring with you or what someone else brings in the mountains. Bring some along and as state before top up at the trail head or leave gas can and fill up on the way home.

Only makes sence to me to bring extra gas . Don't care how easy you thing your sled is on gas. Every condition and day is different.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the other fuel caddy options other then the BRP red gas can. I would like to at least find a black one with the black tunnel. I did see someone had pictures of a black fuel caddy on here but cant seem to find it now. Thanks

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hefe04 Moutain Addictions have a bunch of colors.

They are in Canada Also and great to deal with.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have went over 100 hard miles in a day on the etec, and only burnt threw 38liters, i would not worry about the fuel issue, but make sure someone in your group, carrys gas, always a good idea, for making a fire, or someone running out, etecs are real sweet in fuel

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have went over 100 hard miles in a day on the etec, and only burnt threw 38liters, i would not worry about the fuel issue, but make sure someone in your group, carrys gas, always a good idea, for making a fire, or someone running out, etecs are real sweet in fuel
38l on a 40l tank? So you almost ran out. Make sure some one else carries fuel for you?

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
The larger injectors are used only to reduce the duty cycle of the injectors, you don't want a fuel injector open 100% of the time at WOT because it gets hot & then won't work properly, 80% duty cycle is the most you want. The larger injectors have a slight drawback with larger fuel droplets (although miniscule), but uses a lower duty cycle (time the injector is open)

Also its is very easy to toss the fuel caddy off in a safe area (small knoll/hill out of avy paths, a goto spot for your crew when tearing an area up/lunch break, fire, etc). Your friends will love you for carrying the extra fuel, I have burned less fuel than 600 & 700 poo's, even though I put on more km's, we all had full tanks in the morning & refilled that evening, & that was the 800R Ptek!!!!!

Pwdrh0r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always bring a spare tank, and you never know when there is a huge dump of snow that last night and you wanna burn that gas up. Ive burnt a tank of fuel in three hours up allen. It all depends how hard your riding

Top Bottom